this year's Bass A Thon

mark poulson

this year's Bass A Thon

Post by mark poulson »

A big thank you to Cindy, Rick, Kyle, Jordan, and the whole Anglers team for another great show!
If you didn't go yesterday, you need to go today! It's free, and the amount of gear and new stuff on display and for sale is unreal!
I went yesterday.
I heard Randall Tharp, Cliff Pirch, Randy Howell, Bobby Barrack, Derrick Yamamoto, and Brian Thrift speak, and had a chance to meet most of them. Really nice people, and great speakers.
Western Bass was there filming everything, and I'm sure they'll have it all available here. They already have some stuff up.
Randall Tharp spoke mostly about how he got into fishing, the people who have been a part of his learning along the way, and how he felt like he had finally become a professional fisherman when Andy Morgan commented on his days catch at a tournament. Funny how we all have different things that motivate us, and different benchmarks in our lives. Today he shares his tips and techniques. I am tempted to go back just for that.
Cliff Pirch also talked a little about his way of fishing the Arizona and Nevada lakes, and why, and shared the story of his latest (he has 3) US Open win on Lake Mead. He also shared a lot of his rigging and bait choices/techniques, and why he used what each day. And later he talked to me and several others as we ate lunch, like we were, you know, just regular people. He talked a little about life as a professional fisherman, and how he makes ends meet. He took time out of his lunch to signed a bunch of his playing cards for one guy who does youth fishing in the Long Beach area, for the kids, and shared a story about his guiding a deer hunt for some other professional fishermen. Good stuff.
Randy Howell told us all about his Classic win, from the start through the weighin, and it was amazing. He actually got choked up at one point because it still means so much to him. He is a truly open, honest person, and it came through in his talk. The story about how he wound up representing Livingstone Lures was really interesting and special. I'm so glad I got to see him, and hear him speak.
If there is anyone alive who loves frog fishing more, and who has more passion and knowledge about his fishing than Bobby Barrack, I have yet to meet them. He could sell snow to Eskimos! And he gave up tips and techniques, big time.
Derrick Yamamoto talked in great detail about how he fishes, what he uses, and how he fishes Mead. My back wouldn't let me sit any longer, so I just heard bits and pieces, but he is clearly a very knowledgeable and accomplished angler.
And Brian Thrift spoke about how he fishes, why he fishes the way he does, what he uses and why, and what techniques he has had success with. He did his best to demystify fishing, and show us it really isn't that complicated. I kept looking at him and thinking he's too young to be that good, but he is. Maybe I'm just getting old!
I left after the raffle (Jennifer and Mike rocked it) and the drive home was a blur as I went over all the stuff I'd seen and heard during the show.
And everyone who is anyone in West Coast fishing, beginning with Kent Brown and his son Butch Brown, and on down a long line ending with the retiring Legend Don Iovino.
It was like being at the Baseball Hall of Fame, but for West Coast fishing, and you get to meet and talk to the players!
A truly fun time.

P.S. Hey Joe Uribe! Hug those kids for me!
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
VinnieTheFish

Re: this year's Bass A Thon

Post by VinnieTheFish »

It was definitely a great show and worth the drive in from Phoenix, AZ for the weekend. For those of you watching the replays via the Internet i would highly recommend watching Randy Howell's seminar. That was definitely the highlight. Bobby Barrack was great watching as he was pumped on stage and as he was shaking the entire trailer as he spoke I heard the guy next to me say "damn dude this guy is jacked up like The Rock" which I found hilarious. The ride home all I could think about was how funny it would be to have Bobby Barrack in the boat frog fishing and punching on the Delta with Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson fishing in the same boat. That would be TV gold. They would probably break the Internet.

There was one secret that I forget which Bass Elite Series Pro let it slip to a bait called a "creature jig" that was real hot on the tour this year. Seems it was a large buck tail jig that is hand made in 3/4oz to 1oz made to look like a gizzard Shad. Couldn't find any info on the Internet about this one but it has me intrigued. Apparently it has real long hair probably bulky like the ones used for striper fishing, but I imagine it's geared towards freshwater bass fishing.

Anyone have any info they could share on who makes the "creature jig" or a big bucktail jig almost swimbait size profile? I think it was Randall Tharp who let that one slip. Might be a good bait out here in the desert lakes as the forage is more Shad based vs craw/bluegill patterns.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Mark,
I was working the Lowrance booth all weekend and had my update chip with me to update your Lowrance software...did you stop by?
www.RangerBoats.com
www.Evinrude.com
www.QuickDropsWeights.com
www.Yamamoto.Baits.com
www.Lamiglas.com
www.Gamakatsu.com
www.LuckyCraft.com
www.Lowrance.com
www.TransducerShieldandSaver.com
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Marc wrote:Mark,
I was working the Lowrance booth all weekend and had my update chip with me to update your Lowrance software...did you stop by?
Marc,
I owe you an apology. I didn't. I had followed the online instructions (with the help of my youngest) and was able to do the update myself. Don't you remember the day the Earth stood still?
I am sorry to have put you to that trouble for nothing. I thought I had posted about my success, but I guess I didn't. Something else I seem to have forgotten to do.
Now....where did I put my glasses?
Mark
CLEAN AND DRY
Marc

Post by Marc »

No problem, Mark. I was able to update about 8 units for others, so having the chip there came in handy. That is great you were able to do it so you will have the confidence you can perform future updates.
Hopefully any issue you had will now be resolved. I will catch you the next time.
www.RangerBoats.com
www.Evinrude.com
www.QuickDropsWeights.com
www.Yamamoto.Baits.com
www.Lamiglas.com
www.Gamakatsu.com
www.LuckyCraft.com
www.Lowrance.com
www.TransducerShieldandSaver.com
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Marc wrote:No problem, Mark. I was able to update about 8 units for others, so having the chip there came in handy. That is great you were able to do it so you will have the confidence you can perform future updates.
Hopefully any issue you had will now be resolved. I will catch you the next time.
Glad to hear I didn't waste your time.
I have confidence, as long as one of my kids is around to help! Hahaha
CLEAN AND DRY
dwise

Post by dwise »

VinnieTheFish wrote: There was one secret that I forget which Bass Elite Series Pro let it slip to a bait called a "creature jig" that was real hot on the tour this year. Seems it was a large buck tail jig that is hand made in 3/4oz to 1oz made to look like a gizzard Shad. Couldn't find any info on the Internet about this one but it has me intrigued. Apparently it has real long hair probably bulky like the ones used for striper fishing, but I imagine it's geared towards freshwater bass fishing.

Anyone have any info they could share on who makes the "creature jig" or a big bucktail jig almost swimbait size profile? I think it was Randall Tharp who let that one slip. Might be a good bait out here in the desert lakes as the forage is more Shad based vs craw/bluegill patterns.
It's called a "Preacher Jig". I read that this jig is an old jig that was discontinued but has since made a comeback. Looks like there are other manufacturers who make this style jig. But the "Preacher" is Pete Preacher's jig made by Talon Fishing Unlimited. http://www.bradwiegmann.com/lures/hot-l ... mited.html
D. Wise
Castaic Bass Club