999ci HD SI -vs- Lowrance HDS 8 Gen2

Moderators: Triton Mike, Doug Vahrenberg

SoCalAngler

999ci HD SI -vs- Lowrance HDS 8 Gen2

Post by SoCalAngler »

Hello-

I am looking at these two fishfinders in the 8" display size. I have a budget of $1500.

Below are my primary uses. I was hoping for some objective feedback by those that have used the modern Lowrance and Humminbird units.

Uses: Primarily 85% freshwater lakes in So Cal - targeting striper, cats, crappie, trout
15% of time will use inshore saltwater along So Cal coast - targeting----white sea bass, yellowtail, and when they are in close....Dorado and Tuna!!

Based on the freshwater primary use, I was thinking the 83/200 sounder would be best

Boat is a 17' alum center console

Questions:
1. Warranty and customer service - experiences
2. Reliability of units
3. Does this Humminbird use one transducer for both down scan AND side scan? If so, this is a big plus for me as my transom has very limited space for 2 transducers
4. Does HB have the side scan module built in like the new Lowrance Touch models?
5. Side scan clarity vs Lowrance SS
6. Any other that you can share about these two units.

Thanks!
Doug Vahrenberg

Re: 999ci HD SI -vs- Lowrance HDS 8 Gen2

Post by Doug Vahrenberg »

Humminbird Service and Manufacturing is in Eufuala Alabama. They repair units and normally in shipping longer than at Humminbird

999ci HD is upgraded internals but the base design has been out since 2005 with upgrades from the first 987c to the 997c to the 998c to 998c HD and now 999ci HD

The standard transducer does it all 2d, si & DI some mount to split out the 2D readings on high performance boats or to make mounting the transducer easier or higher on transom or jackplate for protection and mount a separate 2D transducer for onplane 2D readings

All Humminbird units have had built in internals for the SI

Humminbird has amazing shallow water coverage are with 455kHz sonar and coverage is not dependent on depth because of the 180 degrees of coverage with SI.

Skeeter, Yamaha, MinnKota, Humminbird, Dobyns, LakeMaster, Transducer Shield & Saver, LuckyCraft, Daiwa, Dave's Custom Baits, OMEGA Tackle, Elite Tungsten, Angler Innovation, Massey Ferguson
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

I only fun fish, so this might not apply to how you fish, but I hope it helps.
I have both the Lowrance HD5 on my bow, and the HB 997 on my console.
The HD shows more detail, but both brands offer all HD now, so that's a wash.
My HB, their first side imaging unit, does have one transducer for both 2D and side scan, and adding the down scan was just a software update.
I think both companies offer great units, and all their technology and features are comparable. Otherwise, they wouldn't be trumpeting their mapping so loudly. They want to say they have something better to offer.
I don't know if the new, bigger Lowrance units need more than one transducer. I thing they now have built-in side and down scan, so you don't need a separate module anymore.
Now, in terms of performance, it's kind of a Ford vs. Chevy kind of thing to me. HD is HD, no matter who offers it. You won't find a Lowrance or Humminbird rep who will say so, but that's the basic fact.
The 360 sonar from HB does require special transducer, and I don't know if it does both the 360 and the 2D, side/down scan, too.
I went with the HB because it was the only unit with side scan at the time, and I got a great deal on a used unit from a friend when he upgraded (thank you John).
When Lowrance came out with their side scan, it required a separate module, and more money, so I wouldn't have gone with them at that time.
If I were going to upgrade, which I'm not going to do, I would probably lean toward the HB again, but only because of the 360 feature they offer.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
SoCalAngler

Post by SoCalAngler »

Thanks for the replies.

I am also considering the Garmin echoMap 93sv. It is a 9" screen with si, di, hd all in one transducer and built in si module. At $1199, it is pretty nice, especially with a 9" screen. I have heard it has incredibly clear picture and great detail.
Doug Vahrenberg

Post by Doug Vahrenberg »

Have you seen the National Promotion that just started on 999 & 1199

Skeeter, Yamaha, MinnKota, Humminbird, Dobyns, LakeMaster, Transducer Shield & Saver, LuckyCraft, Daiwa, Dave's Custom Baits, OMEGA Tackle, Elite Tungsten, Angler Innovation, Massey Ferguson