Batteries

reddog

Batteries

Post by reddog »

K Here we go. I'm sure this has gone the rounds before but I'm not up to speed on it. I need to replace the batteries in our bass boat, 2 trolling, 1 starting, which are the best and which are the best value? I don't own this boat and so far its been running on walmart everstarts. While those batteries work and are still an option I'd like something a bit more lasting power for the Delta as the trolling motor is under powered for the boat so it runs pretty hard all day to keep in position. As always any help is appreciated, Thanks.
Jim Moulton

Re: Batteries

Post by Jim Moulton »

Go with an AGM Battery
We have really good luck with the Deka brand.
Jim
www.teamccmarine.com
C & C Marine
Modesto Ca
209-526-4120
Ranger Boats
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

I'd look at Costco deep cycles for all three. Having a deep cycle for cranking means you won't run it down when you leave your livewell and electronics on all day.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
drew

Post by drew »

I would go with a absorbed glass mat (AGM) type. They are more expensive then a regular lead acid but they do not leak and because they are higher quality they usually have more output for a giving size.

Optima's are good but are not a real AGM and have wasted space due to the spiral config. There are only 3-4 AGM manufactures and the best batteries are all made by Northstar. Some of the rebadged retailers are list below. If they have the Northstar trademark ribbing on the front, handle and webbing on the side it is made by them. These will work for starting and trolling. The auto versions are less expensive but are the same battery less the threaded studs, also limited sizes. The correct size for trolling would be the group 27 for starting with graphs, a sm outboard 24-27, big 27 and big four stroke 31.

Northstar
Drakon
Odyssey
Dihard Platinum (best price but limited sizes)
Exide Ultra
Cabelas X-900
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

I run everstarts, if you are running out of battery youll want to shop AMP HOUR. I use group 27 in the everstart marine batteries and get 2.5-3yrs out of them. If you dont own the boat you may not want to put 400.00 in trolling batteries into someone elses boat.

For the Starting battery, I use Interstate check your motors manufactures requirment for CCA and MCA
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/
Gene Buchholz

Post by Gene Buchholz »

I have replaced hundreds of batteries over the twenty years i owned the Hook Line & Sinker.
My personal opinion AGM batteries are not worth it they are more expensive and must be charged correctly or they go bad! The only two brands of batteries i recommend are AC Delco and Trojans.
Over the years those are the only two batteries that I have seen last a very long time and have had very little problems with. They both have good warranties if you need it.
Costco batteries will outlast the Everstart are junk, you might get a set of good ones every 10 sets.

Just My Opinion
Fishingnut

Post by Fishingnut »

+1 for the Trojans great battery.
Make one cast for me.
Rod Martin

Post by Rod Martin »

Plus 2 for TROJANS

SC225 best I have ever used.
TR177 Ranger/ Mercury/Lowrance/ Ghost TM
reddog

Post by reddog »

Wow that spiraled into a lesson/advice column. Thanks to all for the info I will check all the options out and make a decision, more than likely with a strong lean toward price. When I get my own boat again I will be keeping all of this info in mind so thanks again for the tips.
Randy Walker

Post by Randy Walker »

It is tough spending more money when the boat is not yours, but check out the Optima Blue Tops for your rig. Fast charge times, long lasting power, 100% sealed and maintenance free, which is very nice not have to worry about your batteries and focus more on fishing. Just awesome batteries.. Check them out

http://www.optimabatteries.com/en-us/products

Randy
Last edited by Randy Walker on Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~ Thanks for the support ~
Walkers Brittanys
RBBASS
www.optimabatteries.com
www.outdoorproshops.com
www.lock-n-haul.com/
www.purefishing.com
Berkley Fishing
Abu Garcia
imalures.com
optimumbaits.com
The Rod Glove http://vrxfishing.com/
scott h

Post by scott h »

My first set of Trojan batteries lasted a solid four years of heavy use, a little more money but when you factor buying two sets of batteries in the same amount of time it is actually cheaper in the long run, they are awesome batteries.
BUZZBAITS IN FEBRUARY!@#$%^&*(
drew

Post by drew »

There is some bad press about AGM's being damaged from over charging. The truth is that all batteries will be damaged from either long term continuous charging or high amperage short term charging.

Sealed batteries are sealed with no vent. High current charging makes them hot and they build up pressure. That is all sealed batteries not just AGM's. Lead acid batteries will boil off their water, corrode surrounding components and cease to function.
ScottyJ

Post by ScottyJ »

Reddog check ur PM
"Jig fish are big fish"
Champion Jon

Post by Champion Jon »

What size of walmart did you have? I had good luck with the group 29 or 31 everstart. The biggest most expensive one they had. I could fish for two days without charging if need be.
Trojans are what I have now, and they do last longer, but for the price I still think its tough to beat the ever start, especially if its not your boat your investing money into.
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

I have a 20 foot North River Seahawk with an Minnkota 80 trolling motor. I fish the Delta for bass. My boat catches a lot of wind and I have the tides to deal with, so I need powerful batteries. My first set of batteries were group 27 Cabelas Advanced Angler AGM deep cycles. When I first got them, they were beasts, but they didn't last. After 2 and 1/2 years they were shot. In the spring of 2010, I replaced them with Diehard Platinum Marine AGMs. They look similar to Oddyseys. These are still going strong finishing up their fifth year. I have never run them all the way down. Civicrr recommended them to.me and boy was he right. They've exceeded my expectations on a daily basis and for longevity.
Oldschool

Post by Oldschool »

Poor maintenance and improper charging kills marine batteries.
Trojan 225's were state of the art over a decade ago' good wet cell battery and require constant monitoring for water level, they are high maintenance.
AGM's are low maintenance, sealed no gases to corrode terminals, however need proper charging amps.
If your boat battery box will accommodate group 31's for the trolling motor, use them. Larger size = increased amp hours at higher operating speeds.
The battery engineer that designed the Trojan SC225 is now at US battery.
I changed to AGM's and very happy with them' no issues to date.
Tom
merc1997

Post by merc1997 »

as far as wet cell batteries, and having sold batteries for decades being in the auto parts business, by far the best batteries are made by east penn. you can find these batteries under other private labels also including carquest and o'reilly. our warranty rate with east penn was less than 2%. what that means is than when we sold an east penn battery, we never saw it back for warranty.

i continue to run east penn marine batteries, and they just last. you do need to monitor water level just as with any wet cell battery. i would suspect that over the years i have ran the troller as hard as anyone, and the east penn group 31 deep cycles will stay with you.

exide batteries would get my next nod.

bo
dwise

Post by dwise »

I recently replaced my Interstate batteries that were going on 5 years. I replaced them before they went bad with Interstates again. I figured the first set lasted a long time, so I went with them again.
D. Wise
Castaic Bass Club
Gene Buchholz

Post by Gene Buchholz »

Most wet cell batteries are maintenance free anymore. And they are less expensive. Most bass boats have on board chargers on them which when the battery is charged it reduces to a trickle charge so it doesn't over heat the batteries.
I'm not a rep for any battery company nor am I sponsored by any battery company.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Gene Buchholz wrote:Most wet cell batteries are maintenance free anymore. And they are less expensive. Most bass boats have on board chargers on them which when the battery is charged it reduces to a trickle charge so it doesn't over heat the batteries.
I'm not a rep for any battery company nor am I sponsored by any battery company.
Thanks for the honest answer.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
drew

Post by drew »

How do you make these claims? Wet cell batteries require the water level to be checked at least monthly and usually require topping off with distilled water. Trickle charging will dry out batteries over an extended period. Sealed batteries are different.

Correct me if I'm wrong but is true that Trojan only manufactures deep cycle batteries? How does this work as a starting battery for the new four strokes which require 800CCA+ especially those with multiple large graphs?
Gene Buchholz wrote:Most wet cell batteries are maintenance free anymore. And they are less expensive. Most bass boats have on board chargers on them which when the battery is charged it reduces to a trickle charge so it doesn't over heat the batteries.
Champion Jon

Post by Champion Jon »

I defiantly don't get around to checking my battery water level every month, maybe 3 times a year, and I end up adding water once a year, maybe twice. Its not much of an issue to me. Is anyone actually checking and adding water once a month??? I have a smart charger, like most others with bass boats.

I have a dedicated cranking battery I use the sears PM1 this battery is a beast and provides more then enough power needed for my 250 pro XS which calls for 1000 Marine Cranking Amps (MCA) or 750 Cold Cranking AMPS (CCA). Buying AGM batteries for all 4 of my batteries would just be waste of money in my opinion. Unless I was getting them for free :D
Gene Buchholz

Post by Gene Buchholz »

I sell A\C Delco they are maintenance free batteries and there are many just like them that are deep cycle and maintenance free.
Rod Martin

Post by Rod Martin »

http://www.trojanbattery.com/product/scs225/

They don't show either AGM or GEL that has the power that the 225 has.

I think those have 177 and 200.
TR177 Ranger/ Mercury/Lowrance/ Ghost TM
bassrman

Post by bassrman »

I have been running a Sears platnium PM1 ! I am on my 2nd one now and it is less than 2 years old " it won't even make thru the day now ! it just won't hold a charge? I took in to Sears" they charged and load tested it " they said it was "ok" & they coulnt warrenty it ! the first PM1 I had did the same thing ! that time Sears was nice enough to warrenty it " no questions asked ! I have a Minnkota " smart charger" before that I had a Pro Mariner "! both rated for AGM batts" I know they are high quality batts ? wish I could find out what's going on ? I put an old Everstart Maxx 29 in ' just to see what would happen ?. it worked fine ! ran the elects & cranked the big motor all day !