All Boat Owners Please Read Trailer Spare Issue

Rod Brown

All Boat Owners Please Read Trailer Spare Issue

Post by Rod Brown »

Last Saturday going over the Antioch bridge something felt strange on our boat trailer. We stopped at the AM/PM and saw this! (see Pic). Luckily we made it to Russos because we could not put the spare on at the AM/PM. The lock on the spare was rusted. Thankfully Chuck at Russo's had cutters and cut the chain. So where the spare is on the Triton trailer you cannot use a "star wrench" because the boat is in the way. So when we came into weigh in, we docked the boat and went to change out the wheel now that the boat was not in the way. Well, the star wrench was too thick and would not fit in between the lung nut and rim. Luckily my partner had a socket wrench that fit. Next problem was look close at the picture the stainless steel thick trailer fender bent inward so even if we changed the spare, it would not fit on there. Luckily Chuck had some extra large channel lock pliers and we were able to bend it back into shape. so please see this list i put together so you don't get stranded or miss a tournament.
1. a couple of sockets and wrenches that will fit the rim lug nut.
2. WD-40 because after years of the spare being on there, it's a bear to break loose.
3. a star wrench that is not too thick to fit in between the lug nut and rim.
4. some large channel lock pliers, vise grips and multiple tools just in case.
5. leather gloves. the shredded tire had steel wire and was a bear to get off of the brakes and axle.
6. an aluminum Springfield quick change trailer jack. or EZ lift trailer jack. (look it up)
mark poulson

Re: All Boat Owners Please Read Trailer Spare Issue

Post by mark poulson »

Those are great tips. Good to hear you were able to get it back up and running.
I've had my share of "trailer adventures", so I have some experience along those lines.
I never thought about how thick the walls of a star wrench are, but, with recessed lug nuts, it is a real concern.
Doing a dry run in your driveway, so you know how to change a tire out, and that you have everything you need, is a good idea.
So many little things we don't think about until something happens, and then it's, "Oh, crap, that doesn't work".
Like you said, on the road is no place to find out something doesn't work.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Fred Fullerton

Post by Fred Fullerton »

Guys I have a full set of cast wheels and tires for the Triton trailers, I had an accident with my trailer and had too have a new one built, I kept the original wheels, So any one needing a set please give me a call.(530) 787-1939
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

All good stuff.. Everytime I get a new bote, I make sure I have access to the spare and a socket that will fit. Usually a deep socket is needed. make sure the a cross lug wrench fits.. if it doesn't you will have to use a long socket handle/breaker bar. I still carry an inexpensive hydraulic jack for other situations, but now use the trailer aid for the dual axel setup. Cheap and super fast to change a tire.

~~ I'm trying to think but nothing happens ~~
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8MhaihAw7I&feature=related
reddog

Post by reddog »

So I am currently in the market for a new boat again but I know the trailer aid system is an awesome addition to any boat setup. The added suggestion I have is not rocket science but as I recall those are hollow inside. Get the tools you need for the tire change, put them in the cavity of the trailer buddy and tape the damn thing up then stick it IN THE BOAT! that way you wont do what I'm famous for and rob the tools some time for another job and then end up hosed when you need them!