jerk bait rod

tlrrider

jerk bait rod

Post by tlrrider »

Need a good jerk bait rod that won't break the bank. Thanks
philip garcia

Re: jerk bait rod

Post by philip garcia »

I don't know how much you're wanting to spend but I have a brand new in the plastic Powell 3d max rod that's for crankbaits jerk baits Chatterbaits maybe I can work something out with you. its on the classifieds if you want to look at the specifics.
HawgCatcher

Post by HawgCatcher »

tlrrider wrote:Need a good jerk bait rod that won't break the bank. Thanks
The new 6'9" Medium Fenwick Elite Tech rod would be a good choice for jerkbait fishing. I use this rod and have a lot of confidence in it. This rod is light weight and very sensitive.
Herb
Galt, CA.

http://www.berkley-fishing.com/
http://www.abugarcia.com/
http://www.fenwickfishing.com/
http://www.spiderwire.com/
http://zekoshoes.com/
http://goo.gl/eZywId (Snag Proof)
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

Our new Fury Series has a 705CB rod in it. Perfect Jerkbait rod...retails at $109

I will have these in stock in May.....wish it was sooner :( :(
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

I would try and find a rod that will let you cast the jerkbaits you want to throw. That's my first thought.
I would also try and find a rod with a moderate, parabolic action, to help me fight the fish without pulling out the hooks.
Last, because a jerkbait is a moving bait, I wouldn't worry too much about sensitivity, which is achieved by using more expensive materials and manuf. processes.
Most jerkbaits have smaller trebles, and I don't need a heavy action rod to drive the hooks into the fish.
A lot of jerkbait fish swipe at the bait, and get hooked on the outside of the mouth, so having a rod that will give when a fish surges, especially close to the boat, is really important to me.
For smaller jerkbaits, like an Orbit 80, I like a med. light, 7' rod. Because the whole rod is a lighter action, I can use a fast tip and still keep the fish hooked.
For bigger jerkbaits, like a Staycee, I like a med. 7' rod, with a parabolic action. A softer action that goes farther back toward the butt really helps me to keep the fish hooked, because the rod is a heavier blank, overall.
There are a lot of rod makers out there offering rods that will work.
If you use what I've listed as a guide to what you need from a jerkbait rod, I think you'll have an easier time finding a rod that works for you.
I said easier, not easy! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
scott h

Post by scott h »

I am in search of a bonafied jerk bait rod myself, I have been a Lamiglas die hard for 15+ years and own over 30 of them, my jerk bait rod snapped last fall and Lamiglas has recently revamped their lineup and to be honest I cannot find one I like in the new lineup, the handles are to long, the price keeps going up and the warranty has been expensive to say the least, dobyns makes a great rod for sure, they have an awesome selection @ various price points,I own a couple of those to and they have been great, both gen ones and never had an issue. In my search I recently purchased an I-rod, Gabe's rip rap special to be more specific and I have to say I'm impressed, the price is good, the rod is light and sensitive and easy on the body, so far I'm leaning towards replacing my lami line up with the I-rods, I am still on the fence as I expect a lot out of a quality rod and I have a small fortune invested. I am not sponsored by a rod company, but when I find something that meets my expectations I stick with it, the I-rod has me thinking, just thought I would throw that out there, good luck in your search.
Scott
BUZZBAITS IN FEBRUARY!@#$%^&*(
jerrysfishing

Post by jerrysfishing »

Scott, there is a Lamiglas top water rod in classifieds that would be a great jerkbait rod.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Dobyns 704c.
OG on WB since 1993
Bayarea-bassin

Post by Bayarea-bassin »

Mike wrote:Dobyns 704c.
+1

It's a perfect rod for most jerk baits (staysee, pointer 100)

It will handle a pointer 128 also but IMO a 705c is better for the heavier jerk baits.
zethkinnettfishing

Post by zethkinnettfishing »

Different answers from everyone. I just use Phenix M1 MX72ML more often than not when throwing a jerk bait. A good rod for about $180.
Biggvic

Post by Biggvic »

Is the Fury series Dobyns 705cb going to be a glass rod or graphite?
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

[quote="Biggvic"]Is the Fury series Dobyns 705cb going to be a glass rod or graphite?[/quote]

This rod is Graphite. THX!!
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Gary Dobyns wrote:Our new Fury Series has a 705CB rod in it. Perfect Jerkbait rod...retails at $109

I will have these in stock in May.....wish it was sooner :( :(
Gary,
What baitcasting rod do you recommend for smaller jerkbaits, like the X80, that weigh 5/16oz.?
CLEAN AND DRY
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

Our best would be 704 CB. It's all graphite rod. The 704 CB Glass will work also....I just prefer graphite myself. You could throw it on a 705 CB and it's more versatile for other baits too. The 704 CB is what I throw Staycee 90's and Megabass 110's on as well. Yell if I can help with any info. THX!!!
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Gary Dobyns wrote:Our best would be 704 CB. It's all graphite rod. The 704 CB Glass will work also....I just prefer graphite myself. You could throw it on a 705 CB and it's more versatile for other baits too. The 704 CB is what I throw Staycee 90's and Megabass 110's on as well. Yell if I can help with any info. THX!!!
Thanks.
CLEAN AND DRY
ACRon

Post by ACRon »

Gary hooked me up a couple of years ago with a 704CB. I love it. It is my go to rod for ripping and in a pinch can handle a lot of different topwater lures.
Bass Pro Shopper

Post by Bass Pro Shopper »

I tend to like shorter rods for popper or jerkbait applications than the sizes posted so far. Found an action I love for jerkbaits in a 6'6" Fenwick HMG medium.
Fishing is not a matter of life or death.
It's more serious than that!
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

WE received enough requests to build a shorter 6'3" rod for poppers and jerkbaits. So we have two powers in these. I think the 7' rod is better myself but we sell plenty of 6'8" and 6'3" CB models. Lots of guys prefer short rods for poppers. THX!!