UV Protection/Clothes

birdi23nls

UV Protection/Clothes

Post by birdi23nls »

With the subject of sunscreen being brought up, I was wondering what the advantages if any, UV clothes provide? It seems like a lot of people are starting to go the route of face masks, gloves, shirts and pants. I'm not sure if this is uncomfortable or hot but if it is not, it does seem like an easy way to protect yourself from the sun.

Does anyone on western bass wear this type of gear?

If so, what brand do you like?

Do you use shirts with sleeves? Masks? Gloves? Any thoughts at all would be helpful.

I've been thinking about going that route instead of having to apply sun screen 2 or 3 times a day.

Thank you for any responses.
Jared
e-mail: Birdi23nls@aol.com

www.mayhemlures.com
Randy Walker

Re: UV Protection/Clothes

Post by Randy Walker »

I started using the clothing about 1.5 years ago and love it.
UV sun shirt - several brands to chose from
Simms sun gloves - only half fingers exposed
Head/neck wear - Simms full head sometimes and the Columbia Freezer Zero Gaiter (cooler than buffs)
not found a good pants yet... So still using sun screen with shorts for now.

Over all, the sun cloths is much nicer.. No greasy sun screen, no running into eyes, no staining cloths... Just all around better I think.

I got all my gear from Monster Tackle (Outdoorproshops.com)

good luck,
Randy
~ Thanks for the support ~
Walkers Brittanys
RBBASS
www.optimabatteries.com
www.outdoorproshops.com
www.lock-n-haul.com/
www.purefishing.com
Berkley Fishing
Abu Garcia
imalures.com
optimumbaits.com
The Rod Glove http://vrxfishing.com/
Robb R

Post by Robb R »

I do both , Sunscreen on the face/and neck (using Replenix ) and an SPF 50 shirt that Hanes sells online for $15.
I wish there was better hats ---wide brim hats specific to bass fisherman .
The buffs drive me crazy ---
Robb
Popper

Post by Popper »

I do both as well....
Sunscreen and SPF shirts and pants
Shirts are vented under arms and back along with SPF light weight pants.
Go quality on the material and brands.
The scarfs and gloves are over board as far as I am concerned unless you have skin issues.

Ed
Popper

Post by Popper »

I do both as well....
Sunscreen and SPF shirts and pants
Shirts are vented under arms and back along with SPF light weight pants.
Go quality on the material and brands.
The scarfs and gloves are over board as far as I am concerned unless your skin sensitive to UV.
It seems to be more of a fashion.

Ed
whazup

Post by whazup »

Popper, how many times have YOU been cut on your hands and/or neck? Fashion statement my $^$!!!
Fish Laugh at the Mention of My Name
birdi23nls

Post by birdi23nls »

One thing that happens to me after a long day of fishing, my hands get dry, very dry. I was wondering if the gloves would help with that?
Jared

www.mayhemlures.com
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Yes, it will help keep your hands from drying out, depending on which glove you buy.
I use Nitrile gloves under my fishing gloves, because they keep my hands dry, so, if I tuck a hot hands warmer into the palm of the nitrile glove, it stays dry and warm, even if the out glove(s) get wet.
My hands stay dry throughout out the day, even if I have to put some talcum powder into the nitrile gloves to get them on.
The powder does make my hands drier, but they are not dried out at the end of the day, even if the tips of the gloves get torn by fish.
To me, there is nothing more miserable than cold, wet hands, unless it's cold, wet feet.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Morgan

Post by Morgan »

I have been using Columbia long sleeve vented back shirts for a long time. They keep you cooler than wearing a tee shirt.
I wear a Columbia floppy wide brim hat.
Mongoose gloves I found at Bass Pro Shop in the fly fishing area. They are very comfortable. They don't snag hardly at all.

I wear a Simms face mask as I found the Buff ones were too hot. The Simms have breathing holes.

Yep. I've had Moh surgery and numerous spots frozen off to remove face cancer, cause I wasn't putting enough sun lotion or often enough as I felt it would put a scent on my hands.

Morgan
BIG DADDY BLUE RANGER

Post by BIG DADDY BLUE RANGER »

Yep, I completely cover up and like it much better than sunscreen. The Columbia pants are my favorite and I have a mix of Columbia and BPS L/S flats style shirts. It's actually cooler than wearing shorts and a t-shirt because it keeps the direct sun off your skin. The key is having it loose fitting so buy shirts a size larger than normal. I used to wear L/S T-shirts but found the collared flats style shirts provide better coverage on the back of my neck when I started wearing a Buff. The first gloves I tried were Glacier sun gloves, they worked good and lasted about two years before they completely fell apart. I'm using Columbia gloves now and they seem to be better quality (the stitching is much better) but the Glacier gloves work and are cheap. The buff take s a little getting used to in the heat (feels hot breathing through it) but to me its advantage over sunscreen makes it well worth it. I put the Buff on first thing in the morning and wear it around my neck until the sun comes up, then it only takes a second to pull it up to completely cover my face/head. I found just a regular ball cap works best for me because there's too much wind on the delta and when running around to wear the boonie or wide brimmed hat. The buff pulls up and keeps a ball cap on snug and I'm completely covered. No more waiting too long to put on sunscreen, no more 10 minute breaks in a tourney to lather up, and best of all no more slimy greasy sunscreen feeling at the end of the day. I also wear Columbia shoes now because I hate the sunscreen feeling on my toes/feet when I wear sandals/flip flops. One last reason I don't like sunscreen, I noticed it was discoloring the collars of my t-shits, may have just been the brand I was using but it made all my shirts look old and nasty real quick...no more. Ask any Derm about how much sun damage they see to peoples hands, feet, and faces...it's no fashion statement!

The sooner you do it the better, or you can just wait till your doctor pauses and says something like, "That's interesting, let me take a closer look." Not what you want to hear!
firebass

Post by firebass »

Data from The Skin Cancer Foundation website states one person dies of melanoma every hour (57 minutes). 1 in 50 men and women will be diagnosed with melanoma of the skin during their lifetime.

Spending time on the lake increases our annual exposure to UV rays. People with fair skin are more at risk. The normal persons lifetime exposure is broken down by age:

Ages Average Accumulated Exposure*
1-18 22.73 percent
19-40 46.53 percent
41-59 73.7 percent
60-78 100 percent

*Based on a 78 year lifespan

We are not protected on overcast days as UVA and UVB rays can penetrate clouds. Also waters reflective surface gets rays around our hat. Polyester does an excellent job at disrupting UV light (due to hydrogen- and carbon-based benzene rings within the polymer). Nylon is good. Wool and silk are moderately effective. Cotton, rayon, flax and hemp fabrics (natural fibers composed of cellulose polymers) often score low without added treatments.

There are many brands out there, Fish Skinz, Under Armour, Aqua Design, just to name a few. Long sleeves, fingerless gloves, long pants, and face shroud (breathing holes minimize clouding up your sunglasses) should be considered over messy lotions that wear off after a few hours and must be reapplied. No odor is transferred to your lures.

Admittedly, it is odd to see ninja warriors casting for bass. But if it lowers the risk of cancer, who can argue with that.
Micropterus salmoides addictus.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

When they start cutting and burning stuff off your arms and face, it doesn't seem so dumb.
I've been using long sleeve UV summer shirts from Cabela's for years, and I recently started wearing a gaiter, too. I'm looking into some gloves for the summer, since my winter gloves are for warmth, not UV in the heat.
If you check the guys on TackleTour, they wear the whole setup, since they're out in the sun all the time. The same with the pros in the Elite.
Just do it, and you'll be surprised at how quickly it just becomes a part of your fishing routine.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
birdi23nls

Post by birdi23nls »

Yeah, I decided to order some stuff. I bought a Simms sun gator and gloves. Then I bought two Colombia uv shirts as well. I couldn't find any pants that I liked but I'll keep looking. For some reason, I don't think I can keep the long pants on in hot weather. Maybe I can if I find the right brand. For now just going to wear shorts and put sun screen on my legs and wear a baseball cap. I do feel like it will be worth it in the long run. When I go fishing, I put sun screen on every morning before I leave the house. Most days, I will add a little more to my neck and face if I feel like I'm getting burned. However this only happens once a day at most. The cloaths almost force a person to remember to stay protected. If I get use to the items I just ordered, I may get some pants and a couple more shirts.

Do you guys think a regular baseball cap is okay with the buff? And if you have any suggestions on the pants, let me know. I tried on the Colombia brand of pants and they are nice and much cooler than normal pants but they still seemed a little warm to me.

Thanks

Jared
Jared

www.mayhemlures.com
Bass Pro Shopper

Post by Bass Pro Shopper »

I got tired of sunburn many years ago. Even with the SPF 1,000,000 sunblock I use, I'd still get burned sometimes... either missed a spot on my neck, or didn't reapply. So, I got a small collection of sun shirts, pants and gloves. Also have a buff (gaiter) now. Most of that gear is by Columbia. I just came to like their clothing. If you have a Columbia outlet store near you, go check it out for a little better bargain on some of the stuff over retail. In the shirts, I always get long sleeves... either the collared, button-down vented shirts or the newer t-shirt crew-neck kind. I don't understand the point to short-sleeved sun shirts if you want to have the most sun protection possible. You can always roll up the long sleeves if you need. I'd highly recommend the sun pants too... the convertible kind that you can zip the pant legs off and they turn into shorts. I always wear the pant legs though. The material is light enough that you don't get hot and need the ventilation that shorts provide. Also get some type of water shoes. That's not for sun protection, but to help keep you cool when it's really hot. That kind of footwear is very ventilated. They're also comfy and provide the sole protection of a shoe while being light and airy. I also have a very wide brimmed had that I got from Costco last year. Forgot the brand, but I'm sure they should be out on display again soon with summer coming.

SIMMS clothing, though very good quality, I think is overpriced. I do have a pair of SIMMS sun gloves that I managed to get for a good price several years ago, and they've held up very well even with many washings in all that time. Yes, you get what you pay for, but in some cases I feel their stuff is way too expensive for what it is. You can get just a good an item by another brand... even BPS or Cabelas brands.

I like some of the jerseys I saw on a recent Bassmaster episode that have the built in hood. It's all made from the light sun material, and thought that's really cool to replace the need for a separate buff.

Even with all the protective clothing, I still apply sunblock to my face, neck, ears, and top of the hands at the start of the day. That's because I might not put on the wide-brim or buff until later. Also, don't forget that you can still get burned on cloudy days because UV rays still penetrate through the clouds. UVs also reflect off the surface of the water and hit you from underneath as well, not just from the top.
Fishing is not a matter of life or death.
It's more serious than that!
Popper

Post by Popper »

Contact whazup

Report this post

Unread postby whazup » Sat May 23, 2015 4:23 pm

Popper, how many times have YOU been cut on your hands and/or neck? Fashion statement my $^$!!!

It's a fashion statement unless your skin exceptionallly sensitive to UV.
It's understandable for Commerial crabbers or fisherman handling industrial fishing equipment requiring gloves.
But for catching "Black Bass" ?
The majority of us can get away with a 50-70 SPF sun lotion.

Cuts?
Maybe a scrap here and there on the fingers, but nothing requiring a bandaid.

-Ed
whazup

Post by whazup »

Popper, that sound you heard? That was THE POINT shooting over your head. By "cuts", I did not mean your little boo-boos. I meant SURGERIES!! Are you really this dense? The gloves are for sun protection, primarily for the backs of hands. Get a clue. Scheesh!!! Fashion statement.......my true thoughts would get me banned for life!!
Popper

Post by Popper »

LOL.........
I knew that statement would touch a nerve.
If you "READ" my initial post I said the following:

"The scarfs and gloves are over board as far as I am concerned unless your skin sensitive to UV.
It seems to be more of a fashion."

-Ed
kopper_bass

Post by kopper_bass »

I started wearing the under armour ISO-CHILL shirts. they are long sleeve, SPF +30 protective, and feel super cold to your skin.
They work great in the hot sun. They also have a hoodie version and 1/4 zip version.
check them out!!

still doing the sunscreen on my bald head, face and neck. Just cannot get confortable wearing those buffs. ugh....

Kopper_Bass
Nobody remembers who came in 2nd place. Fish Hard - Play Hard!
birdi23nls

Post by birdi23nls »

Yeah, the ISO-Chill underarm our stuff is the best looking spf clothing out there, in my opinion but it is also the most expensive. I still might get the hoodie, I got that same bald head you were talking about :). I ordered that Simms gaiterbut I have a feeling it's going to bug me. We will see.
Jared

www.mayhemlures.com
Randy Walker

Post by Randy Walker »

Hey Jared,
I just got two pairs of Columbia pants (UPF 50) that are really light weight and zip down to shorts if desired, which I doubt I will do because it defeats the purpose of my purchase... But I think it will be nice to un zip at the knee partially to let a breeze in perhaps??

I got the pants from Amazon for $27, which were $45 everywhere else I looked for the same exact pants. Check them out... Might be what you are looking for.. If u got a sports chalet near you they sell them and u can at least feel them first like I did.. Once I felt them.. That was it.. Ordered that night from Amazon.

They do come with a built in brief that I will cut out.. But otherwise I think they are gonna be AWESOME, especially for the price and a top brand!

Columbia mens backcast convertible pant... Check them out

Good luck sir,
Randy
Walkers Brittanys
RBBASS
www.optimabatteries.com
www.outdoorproshops.com
www.lock-n-haul.com/
www.purefishing.com
Berkley Fishing
Abu Garcia
imalures.com
optimumbaits.com
whazup

Post by whazup »

Randy, any pockets on those pants?
Randy Walker

Post by Randy Walker »

Hey Whazup,
Yep... There are normal front pockets, 1 zipping rear pocket on the right side which all are mesh inside. There's also a small pliers type pocket down below the rear pocket.. Kind of like a slim pocket found in carpenter pants/jeans. Stitching seems to be decent everywhere, but just arrive today so have not been able to field test them.. Oh, also comes with belt loops and they do also have some elastic waist an will stretch a little.
Sizing seems to be like they show on the sizing chart online..
Walkers Brittanys
RBBASS
www.optimabatteries.com
www.outdoorproshops.com
www.lock-n-haul.com/
www.purefishing.com
Berkley Fishing
Abu Garcia
imalures.com
optimumbaits.com
fish_food

Post by fish_food »

kopper_bass wrote:I started wearing the under armour ISO-CHILL shirts. they are long sleeve, SPF +30 protective, and feel super cold to your skin.
They work great in the hot sun. They also have a hoodie version and 1/4 zip version.
check them out!!
These new cooling fabrics sound interesting. Columbia also has a version called Omni-Freeze Zero--I wonder how the two compare?

http://www.columbia.com/technology-land ... nology-109
Otay Michael

Post by Otay Michael »

the zip off bottom 1/2 of the sun pants is neat when the sun starts going down but the temperature does not.
Get the lighter shades, they stay cooler mid-day.
To believe you may not have to cover up 'unless you know you need to' is a funny statement, not laughable funny.
The sun-gloves (and I've gone through many types over the past 10 year) do not seem hot to me one bit, even mid-day sun in very hot weather, and that's cool! (Pun intended).

I've not tried the buffs, but i use a wide brim hat and sunscreen. Baseball hats might stop cancer on your forehead, good luck on all the other parts of your face, ears and neck though.
Otay Michael

All I need to get into the money would be the four I usually get along with a 20# kicker.

Own no boring art: www.seewald.com
Name written in the book of life.
Otay Michael

Post by Otay Michael »

Oh, I've had mohs surgery (skin cancer removal) and about 100 'pre-cancer' spots burned off my hands and face over the past 3 years now. Of course those of us blonde (as kids), blue eyed have to be double concerned, and I heard red-heads even more so. Those blessed with southern continent ancestry are a little more blessed in this respect, over all.
Otay Michael

All I need to get into the money would be the four I usually get along with a 20# kicker.

Own no boring art: www.seewald.com
Name written in the book of life.
BassAss4

Post by BassAss4 »

pelagic/bass king is tough to beat....... comfortable, reasonable price, Protection
Randy Walker

Post by Randy Walker »

Not tried the one that Mr Kopp uses, do do use the Columbia one and hands down cooler than a standard buff material .. The omni freeze zero is much better in warm/hot weather

Randy
Walkers Brittanys
RBBASS
www.optimabatteries.com
www.outdoorproshops.com
www.lock-n-haul.com/
www.purefishing.com
Berkley Fishing
Abu Garcia
imalures.com
optimumbaits.com