Rip Off of the Year award goes to....ZOOM!

Brian Linehan

Rip Off of the Year award goes to....ZOOM!

Post by Brian Linehan »

Guys, we've all seen baits ripped off over the years. Swim baits, blades, chatter baits, and most of all worms. It happens. However, this rip-off hits a little close to home because it involves one of the best products, manufacturers, and overall greatest group of guys in the business. I'm talking about Roboworm and Zoom's blatant rip-off their design. Zoom just launched a new worm called the "Swamp Crawler" (see below)

It's obvious that they pirated the overall design of the bait except for the tail (which looks to thick). However, what really bothers me is that Zoom didn't even change the names of the colors. I assume that they think they are above ethical standards because they are Zoom and can do whatever they want. Pretty bold move if you ask me.

In the end, it won't really matter as the Zoom worm is more expensive, not as soft, and no matter how they spin it Zoom will never be a true Western hand-poured styled worm. If people want "bubba" they buy Zoom. If they want quality and finesse they buy Robo.

Roboworm is the originator....Zoom the imitator. Support the brand that's been there from the start and the coolest group of guys in the business.....ROBOWORM!!!
Brian Linehan
The Anti Ray

Re: Rip Off of the Year award goes to....ZOOM!

Post by The Anti Ray »

Junk
DDG

Post by DDG »

I hear ya. However who came first was it magic worm or roboworm. All I used to buy was magic products until they took a dump.However I still bought brushhogs and lizards by zoom. In my opinion all bait companies copy each other in some way shape or form. look at the biffle jig. A true angler always knows which is better for what. I will never by a "Stick bait" I only buy SENKOS if i have a different brand in my box its cause I went on a trip and couldn't find any. In the end different strokes for different folks I say.
Larry Hemphill

A "dump"??

Post by Larry Hemphill »

I was catching up on all the opinions and info on the forum tonight, and caught the thread on the Zoom worm. You are correct that lure companies copy the successful baits of other companies. I could go into lots of details about this, but that isn't the purpose of this post. I worked with and fished Magic Worms for many years and loved the owner - as many of us did! I could give you many famous names who really loved "Gino" and his great products! He would give your the shirt off his back and was always hoping that his products helped you become a better fisherman. His company didn't "take a dump!" His health and age caught up with him a bit and he decided to retire. I realize that you probably didn't know him or use his products, but felt I needed to make a comment on your post. You are spot on about baits like the "Senko!" The are many, many copies of all successful baits by other companies - but there is only one true Senko - one of the most effective baits in the history of bass fishing, thanks to the genius of Gary Yamamoto!
DDG

Re: A "dump"??

Post by DDG »

Larry Hemphill wrote:I was catching up on all the opinions and info on the forum tonight, and caught the thread on the Zoom worm. You are correct that lure companies copy the successful baits of other companies. I could go into lots of details about this, but that isn't the purpose of this post. I worked with and fished Magic Worms for many years and loved the owner - as many of us did! I could give you many famous names who really loved "Gino" and his great products! He would give your the shirt off his back and was always hoping that his products helped you become a better fisherman. His company didn't "take a dump!" His health and age caught up with him a bit and he decided to retire. I realize that you probably didn't know him or use his products, but felt I needed to make a comment on your post. You are spot on about baits like the "Senko!" The are many, many copies of all successful baits by other companies - but there is only one true Senko - one of the most effective baits in the history of bass fishing, thanks to the genius of Gary Yamamoto!
I ment no disrespect towards Magic worms I had no idea that it was because the owner was not in good health. That company not being around hits a little close to home for me personally as their plastics were the first I have ever used and caught my first bigger bass on. My first texas, carolina, split shot and drop shot fish all came on magic worms, I still have a bag of their Yoda baits as a keep sake once i Found out the company was no more. My previous comment wasn't intended to fire "bullets" I was just saying that all companies do "rip off" each others designs and baits but the truth is they all look and work differently at times.(color and plastic, etc) like reaction innovation compared to zoom z hog beaver bait; RI is a lil stiffer the Z hog is a lil flimsy has more action the list goes on. I could compare baits to beer, theres times I want a bud light rather then a coors light or sometimes i like a corona with Lime.
Catmantwo

Post by Catmantwo »

The zoom swamp crawler is not a new released bait. I first encountered them around 2007 when I spent an extended amount of time in Alabama. They were pretty much used on a shaky head (ball head jig), which has pretty much been around as long a dart heads here on the west coast. There are many regional baits and techniques that exist around the country that have been introduced nationwide due to tournament/TV coverage of tournaments. Bait colors and their names are copied as anglers request them from their preferred manufacture.
I'm not sure if zoom calls that color "bold bluegill", but I would not be surprised as anglers come to recognize popular colors by their names.
Not all manufactures take RI's approach of naming colors (lol).
Perhaps that color is a nw release for zoom, but definitely not the bait.
Brian Linehan

Post by Brian Linehan »

You're right, I should have said the name of the new bait is the "Z-3 Swamp Crawler." Below are "their" colors. lol

• Bold Bluegill
• Desert Craw
• M.M. III
• Oxblood Light Red
• Prizm Shad
• Pro Blue Neon
• Z-3 Edge
• Z-3 Magic
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

yeah Brian when i saw this release i thought the same thing, didnt even have the common courtesy of a reach round - didnt even change the names, and they call them hand poured? BA HA AH Robo worms are a main stay in my aresenal and at least they dont lie and call them hand pours they are robo worms and they are Aarons Magic
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/
whazup

Post by whazup »

Took a quick glance to see if ZOOM is a sponsor on this forum. They are not, hence this post survives. Quickest way to get a post deleted is to speak negatively of a sponsor. I get it...they pay the bills. But it always humors me when the users of a product can't voice a legitimate concern. Thanks for the post. Love Roboworm.
Fish Laugh at the Mention of My Name
clearlakeoutdoors

Post by clearlakeoutdoors »

we carry Roboworms and Zoom. We have some swamp crawlers but wont be getting them in the robo colors.
Catmantwo

Post by Catmantwo »

A lot of bait companies copy color names (which makes it easier for anglers):
Morning dawn - Iovino
Sexy Shad - strike king
baby bluegill - zoom
and a bunch of others

I am also a big proponent of robo worms.
EXCEPT when it comes to laminates for use on a jig head with a bait keeper or screw on head - almost all the "hand pours" will begin to separate before you even make a cast! If zoom's new "Z3" process for laminates prevents/minimizes this separation process when rigging that way - then good for them and their ingenuity.
I just wouldn't call it the biggest ripoff of the year.
Larry Hemphill

Post by Larry Hemphill »

I realized after reading all these good posts that I should have mentioned that I am a proud member of the Roboworm team since Gino retired, and have been fishing their great products for many years now. My clients have been having amazing successes with their great worms, especially recently at Lake Berryessa. If a 5 year 1 month old client (with his parents on board) can catch his first ever bass - on a "Snoopy" rod, using a MM III 6" Robo worm, you know it is a great bait. His conquest was only a 3 pound smallmouth!! On a Snoopy rod and reel??? I wouldn't believe it if I wasn't there! I did nothing but net the fish. That has been the "hot" bait for the month of June - Berryessa and Clear Lake. Some of you might have seen the photo - his mom held the fish, little Connor was kinda afraid!!
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

When it comes to pour baits, ROBO is King. They are the best period. No one does like they do. Never an over pour, never a color variation, never a "thin" pour. Simply consistent and the BEST!!! Yes, back in the day I caught TONS of bass on Magic Worms. Gino was a friend too!!!

Senkos and stick baits. Yamamoto Senkos are the BEST as well. I've had a few guys tell when the bite is good I'll use knockoff Senkos, but when it's tough and I need a bite, I grab a real Senko. My reply is .....think how many more you'd catch on a real Senko on those good days.

Two great companies with great products.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Larry Hemphill wrote:I realized after reading all these good posts that I should have mentioned that I am a proud member of the Roboworm team since Gino retired, and have been fishing their great products for many years now. My clients have been having amazing successes with their great worms, especially recently at Lake Berryessa. If a 5 year 1 month old client (with his parents on board) can catch his first ever bass - on a "Snoopy" rod, using a MM III 6" Robo worm, you know it is a great bait. His conquest was only a 3 pound smallmouth!! On a Snoopy rod and reel??? I wouldn't believe it if I wasn't there! I did nothing but net the fish. That has been the "hot" bait for the month of June - Berryessa and Clear Lake. Some of you might have seen the photo - his mom held the fish, little Connor was kinda afraid!!
Geez Larry, I should have hired you years ago. It took me 55 years to catch my first bass! Hahaha

Was your boat big enough to hold that kid's smile?
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Has anyone here fished Zank worms? A friend shared some with me, and they are amazing.
CLEAN AND DRY
DanIsaac

Post by DanIsaac »

Ditto Larry, we could use some more Gino's in this sport....class act for sure, and I too was fortunate enough to call him "friend".

As far as Robo goes they are now the standard, and the fact the names were not even changed I have to wonder? Who's pouring these new worms?
Could it be Robo, I know they do a ton of contract stuff?

Just a thought?

Dan
ReelEx, your source for quality, professional service on your Shimano, Lews, or Revo reels.

Guaranteed 96 hr turnaround on service.
650-454-4938 http://www.reel-ex.com
Larry Hemphill

Yeah, Mark!

Post by Larry Hemphill »

Yeah Mark - I maybe could have saved you from at least 30 of those years - LOL!!!!!
mark poulson

Re: Yeah, Mark!

Post by mark poulson »

Larry Hemphill wrote:Yeah Mark - I maybe could have saved you from at least 30 of those years - LOL!!!!!
Did I mention I am a very slow learner? Hahaha
CLEAN AND DRY
DDG

Post by DDG »

DanIsaac wrote:Ditto Larry, we could use some more Gino's in this sport....class act for sure, and I too was fortunate enough to call him "friend".

As far as Robo goes they are now the standard, and the fact the names were not even changed I have to wonder? Who's pouring these new worms?

Just a thought?

Dan
That's a good point. Just to put it out there I caught my biggest Drop shot fish yesterday on a 7" roboworm madness! One of the best fights I've had lately! I've upgraded my worm size two trips prior and my fish size has increased. trip before I caught two back to back 4lbers so even though other companies are makin the effort, roboworm still has my vote.
mike at robo

Post by mike at robo »

Gentleman , Roboworm is NOT making the zoom copies of our baits . And for everyone's information I ordered some and was surprised to see they have NO salt in them ????? Also there are NO other baits being sold in the USA that are made by us , we make baits for a few Japanese companies only and those are not sold here . Thank you for your kind words and thank you for your support of our product !!!!!!
dltabssn

Post by dltabssn »

whats the deal and all the squabbling about. I have been using zoom trick worms for dropshotting on the delta for over five years now all colors work and they are easier on the pocket book than those two manufacturers 15 or 20 worms per bag.when u are retired and on a limited income and looking for deals you do it.They work in 43 to 80 degree water. What more could u want.I will put my favorite color up against yours any day of the week and out fish u for keepers to 10 pounders.If u don't believe me ask DEE THOMAS. turned him on to the color 4 years ago and hes taken it to the bank.wish I had the money to fish those big entry fee tourneys but it just aint goin to happen. PS he aint goin to tell u the color either. its up to u to figure it out. that's what makes fishin such a challenge. PS they work great on spots on berryessa Shasta and Oroville on those big spots to. ive done it. simmer down boy and go catch um.
Tarpon120

Post by Tarpon120 »

whats the deal and all the squabbling about. I have been using zoom trick worms for dropshotting on the delta for over five years now all colors work and they are easier on the pocket book than those two manufacturers 15 or 20 worms per bag.when u are retired and on a limited income and looking for deals you do it.They work in 43 to 80 degree water. What more could u want.I will put my favorite color up against yours any day of the week and out fish u for keepers to 10 pounders.If u don't believe me ask DEE THOMAS. turned him on to the color 4 years ago and hes taken it to the bank.wish I had the money to fish those big entry fee tourneys but it just aint goin to happen. PS he aint goin to tell u the color either. its up to u to figure it out. that's what makes fishin such a challenge. PS they work great on spots on berryessa Shasta and Oroville on those big spots to. ive done it. simmer down boy and go catch um.
Interesting tidbit for your second post ever. A little off the topic though. Reminded me of this.....
Last edited by Tarpon120 on Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DanIsaac

Post by DanIsaac »

DanIsaac wrote:Ditto Larry, we could use some more Gino's in this sport....class act for sure, and I too was fortunate enough to call him "friend".

Just a thought?

Dan
NO Robo is not pouring them....just WRONG!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Roboworm ... 47?fref=nf
ReelEx, your source for quality, professional service on your Shimano, Lews, or Revo reels.

Guaranteed 96 hr turnaround on service.
650-454-4938 http://www.reel-ex.com
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Brian,
They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
Your folks liked you so much they made another copy.
CLEAN AND DRY
george

Post by george »

Hey dltabassin, Dee showed me those Zoom worms and they are my standard fare for the delta. The delta craw is my favorite but Robo makes a great version that works great.
george

Post by george »

Hey dltabassn, Dee showed me those worms an they are daily fare for the delta! The Red Craw is probably my favorite but I think Robo makes a better version.
george

Post by george »

Hey dltabassn, Dee showed me those worms an they are daily fare for the delta! The Red Craw is probably my favorite but I think Robo makes a better version.
Stratos278

Post by Stratos278 »

In this day and age, with everyone copying everyone else, no one...not even Robo...is above an occasional ripoff. Case in point, Strike King's "Sexy Shad" color. Robo made an (almost) exact copy of the color and BARELY changed the name to avoid copyright infringement (SXE Shad).
Now before anyone jumps all over me, let me say that I have been using both Zoom and Robo products for a long time, and both excel in their performance. And I am not sponsored by either company (or anyone else for that matter).
There is an old saying, "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery", even when it sometimes backfires
Jim C.
"Rip Some Lips!!!!"
Chefster

Post by Chefster »

That's awesome. I like turtles.
Devon8604

Post by Devon8604 »

Larry Hemphill wrote:I realized after reading all these good posts that I should have mentioned that I am a proud member of the Roboworm team since Gino retired, and have been fishing their great products for many years now. My clients have been having amazing successes with their great worms, especially recently at Lake Berryessa. If a 5 year 1 month old client (with his parents on board) can catch his first ever bass - on a "Snoopy" rod, using a MM III 6" Robo worm, you know it is a great bait. His conquest was only a 3 pound smallmouth!! On a Snoopy rod and reel??? I wouldn't believe it if I wasn't there! I did nothing but net the fish. That has been the "hot" bait for the month of June - Berryessa and Clear Lake. Some of you might have seen the photo - his mom held the fish, little Connor was kinda afraid!!
MM III fatty is my Go-to up at Clear Lake, The bass eat it like hot cakes! It's the only worm I can catch 6+ bass, on 1 worm. And let me tell you after 6 fish that worms looking pretty fugly on the hook. Yet, they still bite it hard. I haven't seen another worm do that for me. It's only down side is since its does such a good job at attracting the bass, I have to fight off all the little guys that explode on it.
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

whazup wrote:Took a quick glance to see if ZOOM is a sponsor on this forum. They are not, hence this post survives. Quickest way to get a post deleted is to speak negatively of a sponsor. I get it...they pay the bills. But it always humors me when the users of a product can't voice a legitimate concern. Thanks for the post. Love Roboworm.
Links to Check Out -
whazup

Post by whazup »

ash wrote:
whazup wrote:Took a quick glance to see if ZOOM is a sponsor on this forum. They are not, hence this post survives. Quickest way to get a post deleted is to speak negatively of a sponsor. I get it...they pay the bills. But it always humors me when the users of a product can't voice a legitimate concern. Thanks for the post. Love Roboworm.
Absolutely!! Try it!
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

Only been a mod here for 12 years now, i cant say i have ever popped a thread due to a discussion about a sponsors product, with the expcetion of the Powell vs Dobyns deal that got wayyyy out of hand on flaming and spamming. There was a time back in 2004 where it was sticky but even then the reLLentLLess nutcases would always speak their mind. - I guess the preception vs my reality is quite different. I look down the sponsors boards and I dont see a company i have anything bad to say about except for KB's face but thats why hes on the radio :mrgreen:
Links to Check Out -
whazup

Post by whazup »

It was several years ago. Can't remember the mods name, but would recognize it if I saw it. He and I had several PM's flying back and forth to resolve the issue. Seems it was about the time of an ownership/management change.
Rich hamilton

Post by Rich hamilton »

GATOR?????
If I don't meet you no more in this world Then I'll see you in the next one. Don't be late... Don't be late... Stevie Ray/Hendrix
surfk9

Post by surfk9 »

Wow!!! Zoom being rip-off company....you might want to look back over the years at soft plastics....seems any company that comes along with a "winner" is copied (imitated ) in short order...a couple examples Sweet Beaver (yamamoto flappin frog bears a resemblance as does does yums wooly bug IMHO...among numerous others)...what about all the companies that jumped on Zoom's bandwagon following their release of the Horny Toad...as was mentioned earlier imitation is the greatest compliment...just depends WHAT YOUR CONFIDENCE BAIT (BRAND) IS...pick a bait hard or soft if it works it's been copied... Go Fish!!!
be careful out there!!! HAVE FUN!!! Wear your PFD.....It could Save your Life
drew

Post by drew »

IMO It will not be anymore competition for Robo then any other piece of plastic that can be hung off a DS. The quality is not as good and they cost more. Besides it is a different shape.
Brian Linehan wrote:Guys, we've all seen baits ripped off over the years. Swim baits, blades, chatter baits, and most of all worms. It happens. However, this rip-off hits a little close to home because it involves one of the best products, manufacturers, and overall greatest group of guys in the business. I'm talking about Roboworm and Zoom's blatant rip-off their design. Zoom just launched a new worm called the "Swamp Crawler" (see below)

It's obvious that they pirated the overall design of the bait except for the tail (which looks to thick). However, what really bothers me is that Zoom didn't even change the names of the colors. I assume that they think they are above ethical standards because they are Zoom and can do whatever they want. Pretty bold move if you ask me.

In the end, it won't really matter as the Zoom worm is more expensive, not as soft, and no matter how they spin it Zoom will never be a true Western hand-poured styled worm. If people want "bubba" they buy Zoom. If they want quality and finesse they buy Robo.

Roboworm is the originator....Zoom the imitator. Support the brand that's been there from the start and the coolest group of guys in the business.....ROBOWORM!!!
Brian Linehan
whazup

Post by whazup »

Rich hamilton wrote:GATOR?????
No, it wasn't Gator.