Boat inspection before purchasing

Brian Manthe

Boat inspection before purchasing

Post by Brian Manthe »

I live in Oregon and I'm looking at buying a boat in the Folsom area. I am hoping to get some advice on a couple of mechanics in that area that could do a pre-purchase inspection for me in the next day or 2. The boat I'm purchasing is a 2007 Ranger Reata with a 150 Merc engine and I need to just have the engine inspected. Thanks!
Bassman
george

Re: Boat inspection before purchasing

Post by george »

I would at the least have a mechanic check out the engine compression and lower end for water intrusion as well as the trolling motor for proper function. Call the guys at C&C Marine in Citrus Heights to go through it. You might be wise putting a load test on each of the batteries if they are older then two years just to make sure they are not failing yet, each one of those will run you $150 or more to replace if you have to do it soon.

Good Luck and good fishing!

George
Brian Manthe

Post by Brian Manthe »

Thank you for the info. I will definitely have them do all of your suggestions. I have heard that C&C may be booked and unfortunately they are closed today. Is there any other reputable Merc/Ranger mechanics in the Folsom or within a 20 mile radius if C&C can't do it? I'm wanting to get this handled sooner than later if possible. Thanks!!
Bassman
george

Post by george »

Is Bass Pro Shops open yet in Rocklin, if so they might be an option also.
Tony M

Post by Tony M »

BPS in Rocklin is not open yet.
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

You might try asking the seller to have one done and you foot the bill. If he's got nothing to hide and you're serious, should be no problem. Demand a printout. You could save yourself a long drive for nothing otherwise.
2007 "Numb Nut"

Ranger Boats-Mercury Motors
Minnkota Ultrex -TRP Batterys
Raymarine - Troll Bridge
Gloomis - Shimano
Pepper Jigs - Robo Worms
Brian Manthe

Post by Brian Manthe »

I'm buying the boat from my dad, so he has no problem taking it down for me. It's a 2007 Merc with only 80 hours on it, so it shouldn't have anything wrong, but you never know. The problem is, I'm having a difficult time finding any mechanic that has time to look at it in the next 2 days. My dad lives in Shingle Springs.
Bassman
fishwithron2

Post by fishwithron2 »

You can call Bob Graves at Brothers Boat in Folsom 916 988 1704. They might be close monday also. Closer driver for your dad if he's coming down from Shingle Springs .
reddog

Post by reddog »

Tim at preformance marine in west sacramento. Great guy solid business. 916 3732233
DanIsaac

Post by DanIsaac »

You might try Out of Bounds Marine. Dan
ReelEx, your source for quality, professional service on your Shimano, Lews, or Revo reels.

Guaranteed 96 hr turnaround on service.
650-454-4938 http://www.reel-ex.com
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Brian Manthe wrote:I'm buying the boat from my dad, so he has no problem taking it down for me. It's a 2007 Merc with only 80 hours on it, so it shouldn't have anything wrong, but you never know. The problem is, I'm having a difficult time finding any mechanic that has time to look at it in the next 2 days. My dad lives in Shingle Springs.
Ask him for the service records. If it only has 80 hours on it, and he's had it serviced regularly, anything that might go wrong will probably be minor, and the result of not being used enough.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
BrandonCook

Post by BrandonCook »

He's your dad...you should trust him! If he snakes you then you should punch him in the throat!!
Towin_Bass

Post by Towin_Bass »

I would try Marine Service Center(rancho cordova). speak with Andy(916) 638-7935 Open Monday thru Friday. Certified Mercury dealer h can help you out tell him the guys with the wrapped boat sent you and he will help you out.