Fishing under spins

ttb31183

Fishing under spins

Post by ttb31183 »

I have used under spins for a long time but after this year's Classic win by Casey Ashley they are even more popular. I kind of stopped using them and haven't used them much. At ICAST there were tons of new ones on the market. The new interest in them got me using them again recently and they have been working great lately.

This one I have been using is called a Thunder Spin from Eco Pro Tungsten and it is tungsten (obviously) and has a Trokar hook. There a few other new ones I want to try but haven't done it yet. What is your favorite one?

Since we don't have any shad in the lakes around me I switched to a different color soft plastic than I would have normally used.

In the past when I used them I always just cast, count down and reeled them but have been having more success fishing them vertically like a spoon or blade bait. It has worked great for fish I saw on my screen and dropped to in 20-45 feet of water.

Tyler Brinks
reddog

Re: Fishing under spins

Post by reddog »

Not technically the same setup but I really like the Owner swimbait setup. There's a wire that kind of hangs the blade away from the bait a little while reeling it in and the bonus I noticed in my pool trials was it spins great when you kill it and let it dead fall with just the tail kicking and the spinner spinning. The other thing I've been kind of keeping to myself (although I dont know why it hasn't really preformed yet) is I put a hitch hiker in the tail of my boot tail style swimbaits for a little flash when it gets murky. Thats really only for off color water (I thought) but like I said it hasn't really panned out yet. I will admit I'm not that great a spot finder yet though so its VERY possible its not the bait but the area.
elfish16

Post by elfish16 »

Big Hammer swimbaits on the back of the swormin hornets have accounted for a LOT of winnings for myself the last 3 years. People think this is a "smaller fish" deal but it's all about the areas and timing for the big ones. :mrgreen:
Eric Elshere

https://donssmokinsalmon.com
https://maxima-lines.com
ttb31183

Post by ttb31183 »

You are right elfish16, big fish will bite them!

I'll have to look into that Owner setup Reddog.

Thanks for the tips.
Tyler Brinks