Important Wild West tour!!!! All Please read

VinceH

Important Wild West tour!!!! All Please read

Post by VinceH »

I hope this brief message finds all you in great spirits. It's been a long time since I have posted or even wanted to post on here. With that said, I feel it's important to recognize some people and more importantly share the importance of what we have in front of us.

Over one year ago Ken Mah and I were speaking and he asked me what I would like to see in a pro/am circuit here in the west. I simply stated a fair entry fee with a fair payout, even playing field, own weight, 10 day off limits, no net, and polygraph. Shortly after he called me months following and said gear up and get your money. I said I'm all in. The staff and people that brought us the Wild West tour have given us a product that many of you have never seen before. Some of us have. This is beyond what we should expect and I'm shocked that we are short co anglers. As much as this tour benefits us, this is even a stronger foundation for the co angler to really embrace and make it their own. We need this to succeed and as much as I want to say we need pros to sign up, it's just as important or more important for our co anglers to recognize this great opportunity and support it. The stronger we make this the better it will become for all of us. Our co anglers that will graduate to boaters will have something to look forward to and most likely it will be much better than it is now, which is hard to believe because it's so good. So I'm asking that anyone that is remotely interested or thinking about signing up, that you make the decision to do so. This can be much larger than we can imagine and we need everyone's support. It's been several years since I fished BASS ELITE series and competed here locally. I focused on my family because there has been NOTHING worth participating in that allowed me to remain a father and husband as well as angler. Til NOW! Please support this great tour and let's all make it a success. I would like to sincerely thank everyone who has had a hand in developing the Wild West tour and especially all the sponsors, Lucas, ranger, Evinrude, p-line, Yamamoto, Lowrance, Dobyns rods, industrial decals, add a wrap, protect the harvest, gator guards, power-pole, general tire, westy worms, and any others I did not mention. We are so fortunate to have you all!

I look forward to seeing all of you again.

Kind regards-

Vince Hurtado
whazup

Re: Important Wild West tour!!!! All Please read

Post by whazup »

Over in AZ, about a week before the Pleasant Tournament, a potential pro caused quite a stir when he basically announced, on a popular FB page, that if he decided to fish the event, his co would simply be out for a boat ride. His style left the co with little to no water to fish, and that was just tough luck for the co. Lots of reaction with some even insisting the co drag a Carolina or DS to avoid the splash of a crankbait. I think it threw a chill on the co response and, IMO, for good reason. I would venture most co's don't have $350.00 to buy a boat ride. The general consensus from most of the pros was that it was an opportunity to learn and the co's should be happy with that. Lots of videos online for less than $350. Personally. I love the format and hope the best for the WWBT. But the dream of a huge payday seems to push the greed button for some.
Fish Laugh at the Mention of My Name
temeculasteve

Post by temeculasteve »

I did not know about any of that fb stuff but was wondering if the shortage of co-anglers had to do with the fear of being backseated.It seems like the events with the shared weight format usually has a surplus of co's don't they? It would be good to hear from the co's that actually fished Pleasant and maybe that would help the numbers for Shasta.
Robber65

Post by Robber65 »

Shasta will be my first tournament (co-angler). I watched the AZ weigh-ins to get a feel for how it works. From what I witnessed, plenty of co's had nothing but great things to say about the pro they were with. I'm looking forward to it.
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

Vince I really THANK YOU for this post!!

I have hurt WWBT on the Am side. I was convinced that we'd be Am heavy and I did everything to try and protect the Am's that signed up early and/or supported the event for the full season. I believe I've scared some away, but I was trying to fix something that I think is flawed in other circuits. I still believe a guy signing up early should have priority but we're so short on Am's it doesn't matter now. Everyone will get in if they sign up.

As far as addressing the comments from AZ. You'll find most of the Pro anglers in the west working with their Am's provided the Am is also courteous towards the Pro. It's give and take on both sides and some of my best friends in the world are guys I drew back in the Pro on Pro days. But face it, in all sports and in LIFE there are always those few throwing stones. Are you really going to let a very few individuals change what you love to do? Most of us will not!!! We also have a sportsmanship rule to help with issues as well. Don't let a few comments from a person scare you away from our sport.

We just had 59 Am's at Lake Pleasant and it was HORRIBLE fishing, but the winning Am looked pretty happy with the $5000 he won in the event. Shasta will be a big event. Miranda has some website entries she'll add in the morning as well as check the mail. We're pushing 120 signed and paid Pro's right now. This time last week FOR LAKE PLEASANT we had 42 Pro's and ended with 77 Pro's. We have a week left for signing up so I believe we'll break 125-140. There's going to be a lot of money passed out :)

The only thing that can slow us down is anglers not fishing and that's not happening. Hope to see you at Shasta as Pro or Co.

Thanks again Vince!!
Last edited by Gary Dobyns on Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Roscoe

Post by Roscoe »

First off I wanna thank all the TDs and the staff that give up their time away from their families to give us angkers the opprutunity to comietively fish. Idk nothing about pros putting the ams in bad positions to the point of not being able to fish. But I just have a question, why not just have 1 big strong tourney trail and not 8 or 10 however many there is but I know there's quite a few. I fish the BBT and Randy Pringle and his staff do a great job, and I know WWBT is doing their best to be the tops. So why not join trails and combine the tv time and other such things and the TDs team up and run a super trail? That way there won't be a shortage of anglers cause let's face it most of us are working men and 100-350$ is a lot to fish. We'd all like to fish every trail but most of us only have limited funds, and you factor gear and fuel and that's a good chunk of change. I'm just saying I'd like to see less tourney trails and I bet there would be more boats. A good example is the TEXAS TEAM TRAIL, they get 250-300 boats. I have a feeling WWBT has the resources to get there but I'm just curious why so many trails in Cali?
Bill Roberts

Post by Bill Roberts »

I usually don't post on these but I'll give my input.
I've been fishing Pro Am's in the Northwest since 1989 as a Pro. I used to bring 4 Am's with me to all the events. In all those years only one time did one Pro treat one of them badly. So I would say it's very rare that a Pro doesn't act like a Pro. They all treated the Am's I brought with respect and helped them, if they wanted it.
So I wouldn't let a rare instance stop you from jumping on board as a Am and have a great weekend with a new circuit that we need in the West.
Thanks, see you on Shasta.
Sponsors:
Skeeter Boats, Yamaha Outboards, Nixon's Marine, Yakima Bait Co.
Abu Garcia
reddog

Post by reddog »

I signed up today as an AM and I'm REALLY looking forward to the Events. I DON'T want to go on a boat ride, I have a boat, but I truly believe that's in NO WAY what you'll get as an AM in this circuit. The BEST tip I could give is to first and foremost BE CURTIOUS, second is to plan accordingly bring equipment that your Pro recommends and think about using techniques that don't get hung up all day or be prepared to break them off and MOVE ON nothing will make somebody madder than being asked to turn around or back up all day. Think about what you're doing as catching your own fish as if you were on a mobile dock, no one hits every spot. There are ALWAYS holes to catch fish from that are only accessible from past the cover or along side it. Most people on the front fish around a 45* angle, that leaves a lot of areas. Dropshot, carolina, jigs, wacky rigs, these are all great ways to catch fish (and big ones too) that can be easily fished from the back without a problem. You are NOT going to be able to fish your deep cranks, giant swimbaits, etc., very often so don't get your heart broke about it just go catch fish. Mostly if you are curtious and respectful a pro will usually do everything they can to ensure you get yours too. Lastly remember the best way to think about it is it's luck of the draw 1, and 2 if you pay attention you may very well pick up enough tips in a couple tournaments to start whipping a%& in your regular circuit. Boat positioning, angles, techniques, knots (ask), graphing, these are all things you need to PAY ATTENTION to. The best tip I've heard in a while came from Mark Crutcher, "pay attention to the smallest details, they make the BIGGEST difference." Get signed up and lets go!!!!!
VinceH

Post by VinceH »

I've heard some valid concerns regarding professionalism, cost, and the possibility of a Super Tour with circuits joining forces. Before I get caught up in a large thread of facts and points, I don't want to loose fact that this is a good challenge to have at the moment. It illustrates that there are large supporters and anglers who understand what is in front of them. With that said, I want to simply address clearly why regardless of level of co angler I am, I would choose this Tournament trail, and pro angler for that matter.

"Super Tour" what defines a super tour? Participation? Money? Prestige? Giving away boats? In my opinion, TWWBT is a Super Tour in its own lane that no other trail can compete in. Name one trail that for $350/$700 pays OVER 100% back to the anglers, and provides cable network opportunity, radio, social media, contingencie money, great Sponsor support, and city/county embracement? The WWBT is not just a "Super Tour"!!! This is a platform for all the anglers to utilize to grow partnerships with companies to gain recognition, money, and or product. There is no other trail right now that for this type of entry gives all this to us anglers. It is fact, that even coanglers if they wish can use this tour to gain sponsor / partnerships if they choose. Make no mistake, this is a Super Tour!

Professionalism should always be at the forefront of any event. It goes further than just "back seating" a co angler. We will always have a minuscule of jokers that are just gonna poison certain things. It's our job to police ourselves. As I said before, I have been at the highest level fishing, and I have always been courteous enough for me to be successful throughout the day. It goes both ways. Co anglers are concerned about being back seated should ignore the fact that it can happen until it does. Professionalism! My concerns- is my co angler gonna hit my boat against a dock and do damage if I launch him? Is my co angler gonna hit another trailer if I let him launch me? Is my co angler going to rip a seat if he steps on it? Is my co angler going to provide me money ( properly) for expenses? I can go on and on. The reality is, I DONT worry about that. I'm here to fish and I'll cross any bridge later if I come to it.

This Trail is providing more opportunities for anglers that are not being discussed. Look at the numbers? It's been over 20 years since we have seen anything like this. I understand that for some people they want to fish multiple tours, or don't have the finances to fish more than one trail. Just remember if you choose something less you will get less. And that's ok, pick your poison. For me the answer is simple, I can fish this tour support it and assist getting it even larger to possibly 5-6 events in northern Ca, and then we all have a year tour we can look forward to. This is an even playing field with some great intentions and investors who are so committed that they aren't taking ONE DIME from an angler just to succeed. The sponsors and investors have put forth their best effort, and I will give them mine!!! Please share everything that the WWBT has to offer and explain in detail that it's not just the money but opportunity that lies ahead for all anglers!

Grab your rain gear and strap on your vests, it's gonna be a wet one and a slug fest out on Shasta!!

Thank you again to all the investors and Sponsors of the WWBT!

Vince Hurtado
drew

Post by drew »

PM sent.
Gary Dobyns wrote:Vince I really THANK YOU for this post!!

I have hurt WWBT on the Am side. I was convinced that we'd be Am heavy and I did everything to try and protect the Am's that signed up early and/or supported the event for the full season. I believe I've scared some away, but I was trying to fix something that I think is flawed in other circuits. I still believe a guy signing up early should have priority but we're so short on Am's it doesn't matter now. Everyone will get in if they sign up.

As far as addressing the comments from AZ. You'll find most of the Pro anglers in the west working with their Am's provided the Am is also courteous towards the Pro. It's give and take on both sides and some of my best friends in the world are guys I drew back in the Pro on Pro days. But face it, in all sports and in LIFE there are always those few throwing stones. Are you really going to let a very few individuals change what you love to do? Most of us will not!!! We also have a sportsmanship rule to help with issues as well. Don't let a few comments from a person scare you away from our sport.

We just had 59 Am's at Lake Pleasant and it was HORRIBLE fishing, but the winning Am looked pretty happy with the $5000 he won in the event. Shasta will be a big event. Miranda has some website entries she'll add in the morning as well as check the mail. We're pushing 120 signed and paid Pro's right now. This time last week we had 42 Pro's and ended with 77 Pro's. We have a week left for signing up so I believe we'll break 125-140. There's going to be a lot of money passed out :)

The only thing that can slow us down is anglers not fishing and that's not happening. Hope to see you at Shasta as Pro or Co.

Thanks again Vince!!
John Garcia

Post by John Garcia »

I just competed as an Amateur this past weekend at the WWBT Lake Pleasant Pro/Am. I have competed in many Team tournaments over the past few years but this was my first Pro/Am event. I wanted to experience fishing against other amateurs and behind a more experienced anglers. I had hoped to compare my knowledge against the field and learn a few new things. I also had hoped to use the WWBT as a platform to possibly secure a sponsor or two or at least gain some tournament credibility. Most of all, I just wanted to meet and network with other fishermen and fish some "new to me" water.

The WWBT provided me with EVERYTHING that I had hoped/wished for and more. I got to meet and fish with various anglers from around the country. Even though I fished from the back of the boat, I felt as I got to test my skills against the entire field. The lake fished extremely tough and neither of my Pros were able to put fish in the boat but both days I was fortunate to put a few fish in the boat. I had the honor to fish with a BASS Elite, (Clifford Pirch), and watch/learn how he handled all the adversity of tough fishing, camera crews, interviews and spectators. I was never "backseated" and was able to fish "my style" most of the day.

I enjoyed every moment of my first Pro/Am and can not thank the WWBT crew enough for their hard work. If anyone is on the fence about competing in the WWBT, please feel free to contact me and I will answer any questions you may have about the experience and what to prepare for.

John Garcia
kmah

Post by kmah »

What a great attitude John Garcia. I hope we draw each other one day.

Respectfully

K. Mah
Last edited by kmah on Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
J.Bubier

Post by J.Bubier »

Congrats on your first Pro/Am, I am happy that you had a great experience, hopefully I get the chance to meet you one day and hear about it.
Jason Bubier
Director
NorCal90 Fishing Events
530-230-8868 cell
530-589-2601 home
ajbubier@sbcglobal.net
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

Thanks John. Pleasant was tough, we'll not be going back there next January. I promise. Thanks for the post. Tough tournaments are the easiest to win or place high. There's always something to be learned...even if it's " I don't want to fish there again in January " :D