Shasta water levels?

Rick G

Shasta water levels?

Post by Rick G »

From down south here it looks like the Shasta area has had lots of rain. Any updates on if the lake is coming up slow? Fast? Just trying to look ahead to the Rayovac. Rick G
Anglers Marine has been serving Southern California boaters and fishermen since 1981, with the West's largest bass fishing tackle store and the best boat dealership on the west coast.
Open 7 days a week
Mon.-Sat. 9-6 Sun. 10-3
scott h

Re: Shasta water levels?

Post by scott h »

BUZZBAITS IN FEBRUARY!@#$%^&*(
Rick G

Post by Rick G »

Nice! Thank you sir! 11 feet a month up is pretty good far. Rick
Anglers Marine has been serving Southern California boaters and fishermen since 1981, with the West's largest bass fishing tackle store and the best boat dealership on the west coast.
Open 7 days a week
Mon.-Sat. 9-6 Sun. 10-3
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Only 100+ feet to go!
It looks the same for Castaic. :cry:
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
reddog

Post by reddog »

So I was looking at the "resevoir" conditions chart on the CDEC page and it occured to me that the historical averages seem to be around 50% or less in some cases below full pool. I totally understand that some of this capacity is for reserve in times of massive rainfall but, drought etc. aside shouldn't we be trying to keep that average up around 75% in preparation for low rainfall seasons instead of 50% some cases 35%? I get it, there's a TON of factors working into the "average" but aim small miss small has always been my thought, maybe when we're at 65% we can worry more about the temps in the rivers and therefor cfs? What would our situation look like if this last drought had started with 75% full lakes?
bassinbillmc

Post by bassinbillmc »

Very astute and succinct analysis! Seems very logical to me (us), but bureaucratic types might have a different opinion....

We definitely need more water storage in one way or another!!!

Bill
WB Staff

Post by WB Staff »

Dept. of Water Resources Daily Reservoir Storage Summary
For selected reservoirs in Northern and Southern California

http://www.cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/reservoirs/RES
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

bassinbillmc wrote:Very astute and succinct analysis! Seems very logical to me (us), but bureaucratic types might have a different opinion....

We definitely need more water storage in one way or another!!!

Bill
I agree.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
rickyshabazz

Post by rickyshabazz »

I need it to come up about 20 feet by the FLW. I spent too much time gpsing spots hoping for rain so they will be under water. LOL

The Wanabepro
Rick G

Post by Rick G »

Looks like about 6 inches a day coming up Ricky? Just might be right? Rick G.
Open 7 days a week
Mon.-Sat. 9-6 Sun. 10-3
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

We are not getting enough rain. It rains for a day or two and quits. We really need some major storms to sit on us for a few days. Shasta as of right now is down 140 Feet. Lake Oroville is down 227 Feet. We do finally have a snow pack but need more storms badly.
MGJR

Post by MGJR »

Gary's absolutely right, we need wet systems to continually drop precipitous amounts of precipitation. We have to remember that we are in a four year deficit...a HUGE (insert Trump voice here) amount of ground to make up. We are moving in a positive direction in that all NorCal reservoirs are making daily gains and our snowpack continues to track at or above average (it needs to be like 200%+) (http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/snow/PLOT_SWC). Forecasts continue to improve about high precipitation over the next 7-10 days, so lets hope the forecasts hold true and our favorite puddles continue to fill! I would love a full Oroville!
Rick G

Post by Rick G »

Well when I look at weather.com for the Shasta lake area it shows rain almost every day for the next 2 weeks. Is that just drizzle up there? Rick
Open 7 days a week
Mon.-Sat. 9-6 Sun. 10-3
MGJR

Post by MGJR »

Rick,
It is going to be wet. The question is how wet? This part of the state is notorious for considerable precipitation and runoff under the right conditions. The most recent state guidance (http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/products/QPF.pdf) suggests that rainfall over the next 10 days in the feather river basin (a relatively good surrogate) will be 176% of normal. Forecasts continue to improve. Watch www.weatherwest.com for updates as well as NWS Sacramento (http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/sto/). The lake has averaged about 7" of elevation change a day over the past 10 days (no real big abrupt jumps). Last nights blast of rain wasn't big in that basin. You can watch reservoir conditions at http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?SHA

If this "atmospheric river" occurs as some forecasters are indicating, then there could be considerable precip early next week. If it materializes, it could add a pretty good influx of water. Remember, there have been several large fires in that basin and no real rain the past few years. With really heavy rain, there could be considerable debris and turbidity.

Shasta is a big reservoir and there are always fish somewhere!

Cheers.
Rick G

Post by Rick G »

Thanks for all the info. I have not been there since the early 80's but am looking forward to practicing soon for the FLW. You guys really have some great water up there. Rick
Open 7 days a week
Mon.-Sat. 9-6 Sun. 10-3
rickyshabazz

Post by rickyshabazz »

I read that it is supposed to rain for 15 days straight. We are supposed to get rain all January and February. It might rain through the tournament.
The Wanabepro
Rick G

Post by Rick G »

Just got back from Shasta where the lake rose 16' this week! Crazy water coming in all over. Folks at Bridge Bay said they had the Dam shut off due to flooding down stream. Driving home every creek from Sac to Redding was flowing big time. Hope some of that water that runs into the delta makes it to So Cal! Good luck to all in the WWBT. It will be good! Rick G.
Open 7 days a week
Mon.-Sat. 9-6 Sun. 10-3
poacher

Post by poacher »

Do you got any ark's for sale rick looking to buy one the bigger the better why build one when I can just finance it will probably be the end of the world anyways
Jboutfishn

Post by Jboutfishn »

The lake has added 42+ feet since Jan 1st. Current elevation is 965. Sunny skys today, expecting more rain Thursday/Friday.
Rick G

Post by Rick G »

When I was at Shasta last week I went into Packer Bay and there was water on the ramp but my understanding is its closed. Since the water is up a bunch more is it now open?
Open 7 days a week
Mon.-Sat. 9-6 Sun. 10-3
Ben520

Post by Ben520 »

Yes it is tournament went out of there last week