Shore fishing near LA

benarsenault

Shore fishing near LA

Post by benarsenault »

Hi all,

I'm a recent transplant to LA from the east coast. I don't have a boat yet, so for now I'm quarantined to the shore. I've done a little homework and it seems like Castaic Lagoon might be my best bet for targeting largemouth from the banks. Can anyone recommend any other bodies of water within a two hour drive of west LA that would be worth checking out? I know a lot of the reservoirs out here have steep, rocky banks which can make it tough to fish effectively from shore, so I think this may be a bit tricky until I get a boat. Actually thinking a belly boat or kayak might be a good place to start because my current ride is a Honda Civic, so I can't tow a boat. :?

Also, if anyone is willing to divulge current / recent water temps it would be greatly appreciated. I'm not sure if they'll be pre or post spawn this time of year.

Thanks in advance and I'm looking forward to contributing to the Western Bass community. Hopefully I'll have some reports to share soon.
Jboutfishn

Re: Shore fishing near LA

Post by Jboutfishn »

Check out Casitas in Ventura County. I believe they have rentals.
pete gardner

Post by pete gardner »

If you would like to fish some tournaments as a non boater, try the C B F. You will meet a lot of guys,and get to know the local lakes.
Pete
benarsenault

Post by benarsenault »

I've mercilessly pounded the shores of Castaic Lagoon three times now without so much as a strike. Every angler I talk to there says they aren't catching anything. I've thrown everything but the kitchen sink with as many variances in my retrieve as possible. I was actually quite hopeful when I was there on Saturday because I thought the 22 mph winds would create enough chop on the surface so the fish wouldn't be able to see me and would therefore be less spooky. But, no dice. This is going to be tougher than I thought. Hoping to buy a float tube or kick boat soon so I can get to some places where the shore fishermen / bucket brigade can't get to. In the meantime I might try another spot. Has anyone had any luck fishing from shore at Big Tujunga? Thanks in advance for any advice you are willing to share!