MARINE OIL PRICES

Steve L

MARINE OIL PRICES

Post by Steve L »

I'm surprised no one has brought this up. Oil prices went up and OptiMax oil went with it. Oil prices are down 300% but a gallon of oil is still $40 or more. Is this a valid point or just too bad?
mrobinett

Re: MARINE OIL PRICES

Post by mrobinett »

Just like gas prices, they do it because they can. Unfortunately.
WB Staff

Post by WB Staff »

Maybe there is more expensive "summer blend" of oil, like there is for gas

http://www.thestreet.com/story/13479408 ... arket.html
toddmc

Post by toddmc »

I think most everyone can agree that we are getting ripped off big time. I don't use a lot of oil in my Optimax, but I feel like a four stroke could still be cost effective for my next boat because of the price of oil that you constantly have to put in a two stroke. I try to get my Opti oil in bulk from the dealerships. This save me a little.
Whoopbass

Post by Whoopbass »

If it makes you feel any better i'm sure the pricks that decide what we pay will have oil back to $80-$100 a barrel within 1-2 years.
I doubt the oil companies are the reason 2-stroke oil is so high. Mercury knows your going to buy their oil at any price so they don't have any incentive to lower it.
Look at the price of batteries. 90% of the materials are recycled but a cheap one will run you $100.
There is just not enough competition out there to bring the price down.
JRI93

Post by JRI93 »

Is it necessary to run that ridiculously expensive optimax oil or is it just a gimick to suck more money out of you?
Whoopbass

Post by Whoopbass »

A lot of guys run Merc's premium plus and others only use Optimax oil. There is quite a bit of discussion on the web if you want to make a decision.
If you have a carbureted 2-stroke then I believe the cheap stuff works fine but then there are plenty of guys that only use premium 2-stroke oil.
To each there own and most likely anybody that runs a large 2-stroke outboard will have some kind of issue eventually regardless of what oil they use. Seems like you can put 10K hrs on those old Johnson/Evinrude 9.9/15 hp motors using regular motor oil if you had to and they just keep on going. I wish the big motors were that bullet proof.
DarWise

Post by DarWise »

I only use Mercury Optimax oil in my Mercury. One reason is because I'm afraid if I don't and something goes wrong, Mercury might blame it on me using non-Mercury oil. Besides, I'm a little paranoid about not using the correct oil for the make of my engine. Engine repairs are expensive, and I wouldn't want the reason that I need the repairs in the first place to be that I was using the wrong oil or not the oil specifically made for my engine....not when I have a choice to use the right oil.
Andy Lippert

Post by Andy Lippert »

I've talked to a lot of guys who race boats w/ Opti's and they went to the Opti oil when it came out, but reverted back to premium plus after they had issues with it. Additionally, Quicksilver is made in the exact same factory and is identical to Merc oil, but sold in a different container. They just wanted to change the label to be able to market the product to places like Wal Mart--where I buy my oil for $27.

Don't believe me, you can call the factory. I was wasting money over paying for black bottled Merc oil before I found out myself that it was the exact same stuff.

Anyway--hope it helps.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Since my 2008 Optimax is out of warranty, I use Lucas Oil 2 stroke oil from TW.
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Lucas_Oi ... CAS2O.html
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
RMANZO

Post by RMANZO »

in past years, I have always had "used" motors..my local mechanic,he is a merc certified mechanic, told me years ago as long as it is tcw3 rated, oil is oil...I have always, for at least the past 20 years, bought the Walmart oil w/tcw3..it use to cost $9.99 a gallon,and is now $11.99...anyway, all those years I "never" had a problem due to the oil I used. well last year my brother bought me a new merc 250 :) :) :) I called mercury and asked them about using the less exspensive Walmart oil and they said it would void my warranty.. after gpoing round and round w/the merc guy, he basically said the same thing I have always been told..you want to make sure it is labeled "tcw3"... even though "i know" the oils are the same, I definitely don't want to void my warranty.. it would void it not because I was using Walmart oil, but because I wasn't using the "exspensive" merc oil.... so I guarantee I would be buying the Walmart oil if I didn't have a warranty to follow
“BOOK IT”
offthehookbassadventures.com
Facebook OFF THE HOOK BASS ADVENTURES
Instagram Robert Mansor
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

RMANZO wrote:in past years, I have always had "used" motors..my local mechanic,he is a merc certified mechanic, told me years ago as long as it is tcw3 rated, oil is oil...I have always, for at least the past 20 years, bought the Walmart oil w/tcw3..it use to cost $9.99 a gallon,and is now $11.99...anyway, all those years I "never" had a problem due to the oil I used. well last year my brother bought me a new merc 250 :) :) :) I called mercury and asked them about using the less exspensive Walmart oil and they said it would void my warranty.. after gpoing round and round w/the merc guy, he basically said the same thing I have always been told..you want to make sure it is labeled "tcw3"... even though "i know" the oils are the same, I definitely don't want to void my warranty.. it would void it not because I was using Walmart oil, but because I wasn't using the "exspensive" merc oil.... so I guarantee I would be buying the Walmart oil if I didn't have a warranty to follow
What a great brother!!!
CLEAN AND DRY
Levy

Post by Levy »

Read your manual people. You only need to use TCW3 oil. You do not need to be a sucker and buy there expensive oil. They cannot void the wty if you use the specified oil as they describe in the engines manual which for my 2010 Merc 225 states only TCW3 is required.
Jim Moulton

Post by Jim Moulton »

Robert
Tcw3 is the minimum standard that is recommend, All motor manufactures oils far and exceed the tcw3 minimum. Think about it they are the ones that warranty the motors and they want the best possible oils to give the motor the best chance of survival. Find a dealer who sells in bulk and you will pay much less for your oil. The only requirement is you need to bring in your own jug. We sell Premium plus around $26 per gallon. Lucas oil is a good alternative if you choose to not run OEM oils.
Why we are on the subject you need to check often inside your prop where the exhaust comes out and when you start to notice a carbon like build up you should make sure and run some quickkleen in your fuel system to keep it clean. Your cylinders and injectors will be much happier.
Hope this helps answer some of your questions. If not feel free to give me a call.
Jim Moulton
www.teamccmarine.com
C & C Marine
Modesto Ca
209-526-4120
Ranger Boats
kmah

Post by kmah »

I've run mercury outboard for years, and this photo was taken right out of the owners manual. I agree with Jim if there's a local place that sells bulk oil take advantage of those cost savings.

But the bottom line is you can use any TCW-3 rated oil. There's a thing in owners manuals that if manufacturers require you to use a certain product, they have to provide that product to you.

I've been using Lucas Synthetic blend the past two years and it works fine. Burns cleaner as I don't have the residue on the inside of my prop, its first ran oil, and they put money into our sport.

Yes, I have become sponsored by them this year, so obviously my view is skewed. Either way you can run any TCW-3 rated oil.

But that doesn't change that it's all expensive.

Also do we really believe that Mercury and Yamaha and other manufacturers actually refine their own oil?

Good luck
Attachments
image.jpeg
RMANZO

Post by RMANZO »

Jim Moulton wrote:Robert
Tcw3 is the minimum standard that is recommend, All motor manufactures oils far and exceed the tcw3 minimum. Think about it they are the ones that warranty the motors and they want the best possible oils to give the motor the best chance of survival. Find a dealer who sells in bulk and you will pay much less for your oil. The only requirement is you need to bring in your own jug. We sell Premium plus around $26 per gallon. Lucas oil is a good alternative if you choose to not run OEM oils.
Why we are on the subject you need to check often inside your prop where the exhaust comes out and when you start to notice a carbon like build up you should make sure and run some quickkleen in your fuel system to keep it clean. Your cylinders and injectors will be much happier.
Hope this helps answer some of your questions. If not feel free to give me a call.
Jim Moulton
GOOD MORNING JIM...you guys definitely have killer bulk price on the oil... that is why I drive an hour from don pedro to buy my oil from you :) :) :) thank god this new merc doesn't drink much...thanks for the heads up on the quickcleen I will pick some up next time I stop in for the oil..thanks again
“BOOK IT”
offthehookbassadventures.com
Facebook OFF THE HOOK BASS ADVENTURES
Instagram Robert Mansor
philip garcia

Post by philip garcia »

The best way to save the most money on OEM oil is to buy it by the 55-gallon drum if you can afford to make the big purchase at once. I have been doing this for the past 5 years and the convenience is great. I use the Yamaha oil for my hpdi and in bulk it cost me about $24 a gallon and that is with the shipping included in the price. No spilling no funnels and no jugs it just sits in the corner of my garage next to my boat. On your first drum you just have to purchase a pump hose and a ball valve and you're good to go. If I go to a tournament for an extended period of time I have a jug that I just fill up.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

kmah wrote:I've run mercury outboard for years, and this photo was taken right out of the owners manual. I agree with Jim if there's a local place that sells bulk oil take advantage of those cost savings.

But the bottom line is you can use any TCW-3 rated oil. There's a thing in owners manuals that if manufacturers require you to use a certain product, they have to provide that product to you.

I've been using Lucas Synthetic blend the past two years and it works fine. Burns cleaner as I don't have the residue on the inside of my prop, its first ran oil, and they put money into our sport.

Yes, I have become sponsored by them this year, so obviously my view is skewed. Either way you can run any TCW-3 rated oil.

But that doesn't change that it's all expensive.

Also do we really believe that Mercury and Yamaha and other manufacturers actually refine their own oil?

Good luck
I'm pretty sure I used to see Mercury and Yamaha logos on the oil well pumps in the Baldwin Hills, back when I lived in SoCal. Hahaha
CLEAN AND DRY