Tilt/Trim switch on motor won't raise motor?

Jim V.

Tilt/Trim switch on motor won't raise motor?

Post by Jim V. »

200 Opti. Tilt/trim switch on motor (lower cowling) up won't work . Works on down. Up and down both work on throttle and bow switch. Do I need to put a new switch on cowling?
Catmantwo

Re: Tilt/Trim switch on motor won't raise motor?

Post by Catmantwo »

Since it works at the other stations - it's not a relay problem. Sounds more like a connection problem. Check the wires and connections behind the switch on the motor, they may either be loose or possibly some corrosion. Clean then and verify they are connected tight.
norcalracer

Post by norcalracer »

I see the switches go out often, like he said check your plug/wire connections! use a test light to see if it throws power in the up position that will tell you if it is the switch
aNNieNsaLTIE

Post by aNNieNsaLTIE »

had the same issue with my optimax on my Cat... It was working on the water all day, pulled the boat out to wipe it down, dropped the motor to drain the motor, then it was stuck.

Played with the switches a little then it worked. Trimmed up the motor to tow home and left it.

Next day I went into the shop and I purchased some type of fuse or relay, for me, it was not the switch. There are 2 of them. pretty easy. It's a do it yourself job.

Steven
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

Remove the cowling and check the wires to the switch. Sometimes the bouncing across the lake can cause one to loosen. Might not be the problem, but its a great place to start checking !!
2007 "Numb Nut"

Ranger Boats-Mercury Motors
Minnkota Ultrex -TRP Batterys
Raymarine - Troll Bridge
Gloomis - Shimano
Pepper Jigs - Robo Worms
Jim V.

Post by Jim V. »

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm going try + see what I come up with.