Why no Side imaging without GPS?

JRI93

Why no Side imaging without GPS?

Post by JRI93 »

Why is there no unit on the market that offers side imaging WITHOUT gps? There are plenty that offer down imaging without GPS/mapping. I would really like to have side imaging on my next unit but have no need and don't want to pay for GPS.

I'm just looking for a unit with traditional Sonar + DI and SI
Any suggestions?
mark poulson

Re: Why no Side imaging without GPS?

Post by mark poulson »

I'm guessing that there isn't enough demand for SI with no GPS to make that option economical.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
JRI93

Post by JRI93 »

That seems weird though because they offer down view without gps, and from everything I have read online, Side imaging is more useful than down view in most cases.
Dave Wilson

Post by Dave Wilson »

There are several brands of "real" side scanning finders in use on many commercial fishing boats. Of course, the transducers retract into a tube and etc. They also cost far more than the typical bass fisherman units.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

JRI93 wrote:That seems weird though because they offer down view without gps, and from everything I have read online, Side imaging is more useful than down view in most cases.
You'll probably have to call several of the manufs. and ask them you question. It's a financial decision, clearly, since they have the technology.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
sdisturber

Post by sdisturber »

You are looking at only part of the side scan usefulness. With gps you can mark waypoints on the screen without ever driving over the top of what the sidescan screen is showing. May be this trip you don't want to go look at what you saw and way pointed. But now you won't do the "lets go try to find that rock pile" a month later you just drive right up to it no wasted effort or fuel ,equates to more time fishing and less time wasted