Humminbird question

Moderators: Doug Vahrenberg, Triton Mike

edsterone

Humminbird question

Post by edsterone »

I just installed a Helix 10 SI on the console and a used 1158c on the front of my Ranger Z20. I originally had a 997c on the console and the old puck is located towards the rear of the boat. I want to re-use the old puck for the 1158 on the front but I don't know if I should move the puck closer to the front where the 1158 is mounted or run the cable all the way to the rear of the boat where the puck is already installed. It seams like my GPS would be little off if I did this. I hate to drill new holes in the bow. I also wonder if I could use the internal GPS in the Helix by linking it somehow. I'm still learning about all this stuff but I was hoping to get some input. I like to try and do everything myself to learn more about how it all works and to save a little $$$. Thanks you in advance for any input. Ed
kraetzer

Re: Humminbird question

Post by kraetzer »

I would recommend to have the GPS puck as close to the transducer as possible. Otherwise your waypoints will be off up to 25-30 feet.
There are also possibilities to mount the transducer without drilling holes into the boat (f ex mount it to a ram mount).
kraetzer

"I am ready to face any challenge that might be foolish enough to face me" - Dwight K. Schrute
PF3352

Post by PF3352 »

This is what I did.. The mount works great and I am not a sponsor for them. Might look into it. I have my Onix 10 on console and 998 up front. Sorry not the best photos but it will get you in the ballpark.
Attachments
20160327_090753.jpg
20160327_090729.jpg
edsterone

Post by edsterone »

I really like that Dek-it mount. I think thats what I'll do. Thanks guys for the input! much appreciated.