Home made spud pole question

Freefall

Home made spud pole question

Post by Freefall »

Hey guys, I'm thinking about rigging up a set of spud poles for sight fishing and flipping but before I do I thought I would get some feedback or tips on the poles you guys use and mounting.

I was thinking that I would run two poles. One off of the bow and another off of the opposite side stern. I was contemplating just using a simple leash from a cleat to the pole to attach it instead of brackets. Has anyone else rigged theres this way? If so what do you think?

The poles themselves is where im a little torn. I had thought about using 3/4 emt, pinching one end shut to help push in easier without clogging up. I know most aftermarket ones are glass but I'm not sure where to find fiberglass rods that are 10'. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Fear does not prevent death, it prevents life.

You've never lived until you've almost died and for those who have fought for it, life has a whole new flavor that the protected will never know....
bassdaddy

Re: Home made spud pole question

Post by bassdaddy »

I made my own brackets and for poles I use extendable handles from pool cleaning screens/nets. They extend to just over 12 feet and collapse down to about 8 feet for easier storage.
Hope that helps.
gabuelhaj

Re: Home made spud pole question

Post by gabuelhaj »

I made pole mounts out of PVC and attach/screw them on the two transom D-Rings. I take them off when trailering. The 3/4 inch fiberglass poles slide through easily using the 3/4inch PVC T-fittings. They are totally out of the way when in use because they're both behind the boat and the 3/4 inch holds 20+ foot boats no problems. Depending on what fiberglass poles you get, you may need to cover them with colored heat shrink or vinyl tape to prevent your hands from getting splinters/shards.

Good luck!
Attachments
Pole mount
Pole mount
Glenn Abuelhaj