Lake oroville

Joe daddy

Lake oroville

Post by Joe daddy »

Caught these 2 decent fish in that cove I've been wearing out at foreman. Got this bush tree thing they have been holding at. There is still I bigger fish in that cove that I can't get to bite. About every half hour its jumps in the center on the cove to give me the fin and to see if I'm still here. Almost as if it's taunting me 'catch me joe cmon catch me'. Yes I am still here in the shadows and shallows. Lurching on the bank just waiting for the right time. Creeping around trying to get inside the mind of that fish. Oh the horror.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Tom Gronwall

Re: Lake oroville

Post by Tom Gronwall »

Turn the pictures Joe, hurts my neck!! :>))
MGJR

Post by MGJR »

Can you please quit laying the fish in the dirt?
steve0806

Post by steve0806 »

MGJR wrote:Can you please quit laying the fish in the dirt?
+1 :evil:
Joe daddy

Post by Joe daddy »

Why, what gives?
ACRon

Post by ACRon »

Bass have a protective slime layer. When we handle them, throw them on carpet in our boats, or throw them in the dirt the protective slime comes off and they are severely distressed with a high potential to die when released. Additionally the dry dirt dehydrates them.

Hold them by the lip. Unhook them. Take a quick selfie or fishie and give them a gentle release making sure they swim away.

The people on this board are very conservation minded in regard to proper catch and release as well as fish care.
rands

Post by rands »

Well said ACRon. We need to protect the resource so all can enjoy.
sdisturber

Post by sdisturber »

Keep all the spotted bass you want from oroville but please release all the largemouth you catch. They truly need to be left to reproduce whenever possible. Thanks
Joe daddy

Post by Joe daddy »

Thanks for the free education on the handling of the bass. I remember when the shad ran in the feather they were real slimey and you weren't even suppose to touch them or pull them out of water to release them or they could die. Here is something I was contemplating we care about the handling of bass yet we hook the fish in the mouth or throat rip it from its natural habitat and call it a sport. That seems pretty traumatic to me. You wouldn't throw your dog a bone with a treble hook in it drag him across the yard then tear the hooks out with a pair of needle nose pliers. All the while you are consoling him and handling him correctly. I'm just saying.
scott h

Post by scott h »

Joe daddy wrote:Thanks for the free education on the handling of the bass. I remember when the shad ran in the feather they were real slimey and you weren't even suppose to touch them or pull them out of water to release them or they could die. Here is something I was contemplating we care about the handling of bass yet we hook the fish in the mouth or throat rip it from its natural habitat and call it a sport. That seems pretty traumatic to me. You wouldn't throw your dog a bone with a treble hook in it drag him across the yard then tear the hooks out with a pair of needle nose pliers. All the while you are consoling him and handling him correctly. I'm just saying.
Wtf??????? You were better off not responding.
BUZZBAITS IN FEBRUARY!@#$%^&*(
ACRon

Post by ACRon »

That's what I get for giving a serious answer. DONE
Joe daddy

Post by Joe daddy »

I do appreciate you answer ACRon it was very informative and intelligent. I'm just a dumb Palermo boy, who can catch fish and I'm good with that. Thank you for your input and I will make an effort to keep the fish off the dirt.
Joe daddy

Post by Joe daddy »

Looks like I'm on an island on this topic but I'm gonna say my peace. Quote it if you want too. No honest fisherman can say they care about the integrity of a fish if they are using a hook to rip its lips to catch that fish. We care about the catching part of the fish, oh how we care about that part. I also agree with ACRon with the handling of the fish since it has already been comprised enough. No since adding insult to injury.
scott h

Post by scott h »

Joe daddy wrote:Looks like I'm on an island on this topic but I'm gonna say my peace. Quote it if you want too. No honest fisherman can say they care about the integrity of a fish if they are using a hook to rip its lips to catch that fish. We care about the catching part of the fish, oh how we care about that part. I also agree with ACRon with the handling of the fish since it has already been comprised enough. No since adding insult to injury.
First of all, if we didn't use hooks what else would we use? Second of all why do you have to make it more dramatic than it really is? I mean cmon " rip its lips", "throat rip" what point are you trying to prove here? So someone called you out for laying a landed fish on the ground and you start talking about other aspects of ethics except you make no "Sense" (see what I did there?) do yourself a favor, let it be. Whatever your trying to prove is unclear, people have been using hooks since (see what I did there?)the beginning of time to catch fish, that is pretty much never going to change. ACRon was only pointing out the slime coating on the fish is easily damaged and we should try whenever possible to preserve it so the fish has a shot at surviving and being caught again, the whole point of catch and release is that the fish survives. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't you use a Hook to catch your fish in the picture? So why be a hypocrite? Please stop trying to steer accountability in other directions to distract your ignorance.
Hooked fish have a high rate of survival after being released I am positive our fisheries are as great as they due to conservation and catch and release tactics, occasionally one gets a hook in a bad spot and it affects the fish in one way or another, 99% of those deep hooked fish can be unhooked and released with no lasting effects if you carry the proper tools with you at all times, fish that are layed on the ground, carpet or gripped with a towel or any other way of removing slime will survive the short term but are 10 times more suceptible to parasites, disease and other issues which in the end ultimately retires that fish much sooner than had the slime remained in tact.
BUZZBAITS IN FEBRUARY!@#$%^&*(
Joe daddy

Post by Joe daddy »

Agreed great post Scott. I thoroughly enjoyed the 'distract your ignorance' part. Long live ceasar!
Robb R

Post by Robb R »

I was running outa popcorn , so I will add my two cents before I cook another batch.
The slim on any fish is a protective coating , keeps the fish alive . If you remove all the slim of any fish before releasing it ---guaranteed it will die . Removing the least amount of slim will help that fish have a much better chance of survival after release .
Using Nets , dropping fish on boat carpets , dirt , grass and touching that bass with your hands are all ways to remove the protective slim .
Some trout rivers I have fished in Montana have rules about not touching the trout at all and not removing that fish from the water at all ---all due to protecting the slim on the fish.
Regarding Joe Daddy's ---houka pipe statement , bass don't really feel pain as we know it , they sense things . Lastly , I have seen bass get hooked , released and come right back and bite again ---so apparently they don't have memories either . BTW ---nice fish JD.
wait--- microwave just beeped ---getting me some more popcorn
tight lines and NO SLIM removal !!
Robb
Joe daddy

Post by Joe daddy »

Thanks Robb, apparently bass have slime. All fish do. Handle them carefully, wet your hands or measuring board is suppose to help. Steer clear of nets carpets. In a healthy lake like oroville probably not to big of an issue but still can disturb the fish.
Do fish fell pain when hooked? If u ask PETA they say yes and we are all sadist. Most doctors/scientist say no. Fish do not have the brain power to feel pain around there mouths. When released most fish go back to their simple lives like nothing has happened. Here is a good read I looked up. http://www.worldfishingnetwork.com/news ... -feel-pain
Anyways sorry for the inconvenience. No hard feelings, I figured i better research this a little more before I post anything else cause this baptism by fire thing ain't working out to good for me. Fish-on!
Attachments
image.png
Tom Gronwall

Post by Tom Gronwall »

I'd venture to say that spots don't die at the rate shown, quite the opposite. Every year I catch the same fish caught before and released or broke off. Happens about 2 times every year. Remove baits, hooks, so many times from other fisherman loosing fish. They are very hardy if treated with respect and live to be caught again or spawn.
MGJR

Post by MGJR »

Fortunately, bass are a pretty resilient species, our water quality conditions are generally good, and we don't have many disease problems. However, that is not an excuse not to exercise proper care of fish. My original post was largely in reference to a series of photographs posted of a decent largemouth (perhaps not this post, but another by Joe Daddy)...which I would venture to guess, spent an inordinate amount of time out of the water in addition to the time in the dirt. Take care of the fish they will be there for us to enjoy.

Tight Lines,

MG
Robb R

Post by Robb R »

Joe Daddy ,
I appreciate and respect your last reply . You did the research and to me it shows how handling bass does matter .
As a side note , I am not a tournament fisherman ---so I am sure many will reply negative to what I am going to say .
I strongly believe tournament fisherman and the numbers that are caught , left in live wells under less than ideal conditions , then released , probably do more harm than good . I prefer the way Major league fishing does it , they catch , weigh immediately , then release . They even charge the fisherman a 2 minute penalty if the bass touches the carpet.
For myself , I hate when a bass that I catch is harmed . If I catch a bass that is gut hooked (happens mostly when I use C-Rigs ) I have a homemade wooden tool that perfectly removes 1/0 and 2/0 hooks without damaging the stomach of the bass . I am still not very good a "fizzing" bass that are caught really deep , but I just need more practice
tight lines ,
Robb
Joe daddy

Post by Joe daddy »

I've been very fortunate with the # of LM I caught this year. I believe it is 5. Funny how when the water is up so do the LM. I didn't catch any last year, and only couple that I heard about. It's like their non existent when the water is low. Almost like catching a unicorn. In 2011-2012 and now 2016 LM, water up, all over 20". The biggest fish I caught last year was 17 1/2" a spot in March. I might have a few more tricks up my sleeves with a couple holes I haven't tried yet. Go to google maps the water is low on the picture you can scout out the hole lake. I look at it for hours till I pass out or run out of battery, pretty cool. Maybe some lucky fisherman/woman will set some new records this year.