HOW much FLEX does your PUNCH/FLIP rod have

DDG

HOW much FLEX does your PUNCH/FLIP rod have

Post by DDG »

Hey y'all just wanted to get a little perspective on punch rods and what to look for as far as flex with a 2oz weight etc. Currently I'm fishing a powell 795 and it has a good amount of flex to it with the 2oz weight however its not eveytime that I'm flipping I'm using that weight. regardless I'm considering moving up to the 806 only downside in my mind is Length of the rod. (I'm a shorter guy and still AAA/co-angler) I don't like punching with a total broomstick cause yes when you punch with too heavy of a rod you open the gap in that fishes mouth, so when you go to clear the weeds he's not there lol. Any thoughts are accepted keep in mind this isn't about rod manufacturer just LENGTH and ACTION.
-DDG
flipit

Re: HOW much FLEX does your PUNCH/FLIP rod have

Post by flipit »

I use Powell 795, 7115, and the 806 for punching. The choice is simply made by weight used. Anything over 1.5 oz I prefer the 806. It just manages the weight better when flipping and pitching. It may take a bit to get used to it, but once you do I think you will prefer the longer rod.
Fishing should be fun.
Freefall

Post by Freefall »

I personally use a Lews 7'11" Magnum casting rod. It's actually a swimbait / A rig rod so it has a moderate fast action. I love that rod for punching. It handles the heavier weights beautifully and loads up great without pulling hooks while having plenty of back bone. I've pulled multiple fish over 7 out of mats without an issue with the rod.
Fear does not prevent death, it prevents life.

You've never lived until you've almost died and for those who have fought for it, life has a whole new flavor that the protected will never know....
Jeff Antenucci

Post by Jeff Antenucci »

If you are wanting to move up to the 6 power, don't be afraid to check out the 736 that Powell makes as well. I've been using that for all of my flipping and punching since it came out. I am also on the shorter side, and those 8 footers are just too much rod for me to handle around heavy cover. Once I switched to the bit shorter rod, I gained a lot more power and control. As far as the action/flex, I haven't been home in a couple of months, so I can't comment on the flex of the rod as I just don't remember.
lil nitro

Post by lil nitro »

I agree a shorter rod is more comfortable but what I have found is that i get my braid caught in the thick canopy more often with a shorter rod which causes all types of problems like not getting a free fall, line vibration and tearing up your baits faster. With a 7'11" I can get my line up alittle higher and out of the taller weeds. I think you got the right idea about the action of the rod you want some flex with a strong backbone not a broomstick.
Roscoe

Post by Roscoe »

I use Irod Bubs Punch Rod. This rod was developed by the best person on the delta when it comes to punching. Bub has been punching his whole career out there so years of knowledge went into that rod and so the best punch Rod was developed. I know everyone has a personal preference but especially for punching I wanted a Rod that can handle punching thru delta mats and handle ripping out hogs so after some investigating I found for quality and price you can't go wrong with the irod punch.
185vsfrog

Post by 185vsfrog »

My favorite punch Rod by far is the steez 802HFBA SVF. It's 8 foot and feels like a 7'6" in hand. It's so light and sensitive and has a perfect amount of bend. It's a moderate taper which allows for the Rod to load up and let's the fish fight itself on the Rod. Seems like the fish come out of cover easily with this Rod. IMHO no need for a fast taper Rod. You need some tip in the Rod so you can feel bites without fish dropping the bait but still enough power to get them up and hold them until you can get to them if needed. Hope this helps.