Clear Lake Crappie

bigdainca

Clear Lake Crappie

Post by bigdainca »

Hey everyone! Just bought a new boat the family and I thought it would be fun to take the kids up to clear lake to catch some crappie. I've not been there in years and never fished for crappie. Any areas you can recommend? Also any good techniques? I've got a bunch of crappie jigs in different colors on adjustable bombers ready to go. Leaving in the morning thanks in advance!
Whoopbass

Re: Clear Lake Crappie

Post by Whoopbass »

Read Dan's report.
http://www.westernbass.com/forum/clear- ... 02499.html

I was up there a month ago and I was getting them on small white swimbaits. I think they were Storm brand about 2" in length. If you find a good area you can load up on the crappie. Bass eat it too and they fight better then the crappie.
sThurmon

Post by sThurmon »

Crappie at Clear lake right now are really fun and easy to catch. Just cast outside tules and/or docks and hang on. Have fun with ultralight's and 4# test.
bigdainca

Post by bigdainca »

Do you guys have any areas of the lake we should target? Are they shallow or on deeper docks? Should we be near deep water or does any of this matter? :)
fishwithron

Post by fishwithron »

Make sure you get your boat INSPECTED before going on the water. Make sure your live well is dry and the inspection I think cost $10.00 at any of the bait shop. While at the bait store buy some of those floats which you can set for depth. The bait shop can help you out with any info you need on best spots. After you get live well inspected you'll get a sticker and if you don't have that sticker the ranger will tag you.
Last edited by fishwithron on Sun May 29, 2016 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TonyM

Post by TonyM »

I was up there about 1 1/2 month ago. At that time, guys were hammering the crappie off any dock on the N. end on mini jigs just before dark. Sounds like the Rattlesnake arm is the place right now. Good luck! The kids will have a blast.
Burke

Post by Burke »

I use to fish the rocks at Jago Bay with red/white mini jigs and caught them until I got tired.
Kentuck

Post by Kentuck »

Weekend before last caught crappie on just about everything I threw. White mini-jigs were tops. Bugger fish I heard were being caught on the swimbaits. Just about anywhere had fish.
greatwhite

Post by greatwhite »

Kids were smashing them all weekend on a white hair crappie jig off our dock in Jago bay. They were just casting and reeling it in slow. They are everywhere it seems!
bigdainca

Post by bigdainca »

Thank you all for the great I information! We had the trip of a lifetime catching over 300 fish on just about anything. We threw hair jigs in white or yellow, soft minnow baits, crappie jigs in white and red, or plain white. We fished down the banks near clear lake oaks until we found a huge school an caught hundreds of them. Thank you again everyone! My kids will never forget it!
Scott L

Post by Scott L »

For those familiar with Clear Lake, how long does the crappie bite usually last?

Is it coming to the end as we are in June or does it continue into July normally?

Trying to find a weekend to take the kids up.

Thanks in advance for any info.
Jeff SH

Post by Jeff SH »

any word if the crappie bite still hot? planning on taking my kid up this weekend
clearlakeoutdoors

Post by clearlakeoutdoors »

Crappie are still being caught .The bulk of them have moved out of spawning areas but when you find them you can catch 100 or more. They will eventually move offshore but in the fall around thanksgiving the shallow bite will be good again.