Delta boat

mark poulson

Delta boat

Post by mark poulson »

Is there a minimum length for a bass boat to be able to run the windy chop on Franks without being pounded?
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
DarWise

Re: Delta boat

Post by DarWise »

I would think that the bigger the boat, the more pounding it can take from the chop because you can put a more powerful motor on the back to help you to navigate the waves, but then again I'm no expert.
185vsfrog

Post by 185vsfrog »

I would say you should not go with anything less than an 18'6" with a 150HP motor on the delta. It gets rough out there sometimes. Not as big as Clearlake but it can get bad depending where you are and the tide. Nice part about the delta is you can find places to hide and avoid the big water for the most part..
phatbass

Post by phatbass »

My first Delta boat was a Crestliner 1650 fish hawk with a 50 hp motor. It served me well for many years, but I did not travel too far and I would avoid fishing windy days. It sipped gas and I did manage to catch my pb largemouth from it but it sure was a bitch to fish from once that wind picked up. I finally stepped up to a glass 20 footer and the difference was night and day. Much heavier boat(good for wind) and a much more stable platform. I agree with the other comment, no smaller than 18 foot and 150 hp if you really want to get out and explore the Delta. Bigger is safer also. Lots of nutty wake boarders out there nowadays!
Just my two pennies.
Kerry L

Post by Kerry L »

I run a older Nitro (1990) 17' 6" with a 115hp Yamaha and I have no problem at all. When its windy Franks can be bad but that being said my old boat still gets across with out any issues.
Chad Sweitzer

Post by Chad Sweitzer »

We have a 2015 tracker 17'9" with 75HP, and have had some problems running in the big stuff at the bottom of Frank's. This just means we had to slow down a little bit and we made it fine. 98% of the time, we are running with no problems whatsoever. We made the mistake of trying to run across Clear Lake and ended up having to idle for about 30 minutes in order to make it across. But Clear Lake is just a different animal altogether.
PB: Spot-9.625 (Shasta Record) LMB-13.27 SM-4.36
Freefall

Post by Freefall »

Chad Sweitzer wrote:We have a 2015 tracker 17'9" with 75HP, and have had some problems running in the big stuff at the bottom of Frank's. This just means we had to slow down a little bit and we made it fine. 98% of the time, we are running with no problems whatsoever. We made the mistake of trying to run across Clear Lake and ended up having to idle for about 30 minutes in order to make it across. But Clear Lake is just a different animal altogether.
Lighter aluminum hulls don't take the wind and waves like the bigger glass hulls. I run an aluminum and it doesn't perform well in the wind. Its too light and gets blown all over. I'll be upgrading to a 20' glass in a few months, I can't wait.

On the topic, anything glass 18' or better with an ample power plant would be ideal.
Fear does not prevent death, it prevents life.

You've never lived until you've almost died and for those who have fought for it, life has a whole new flavor that the protected will never know....
Chad Sweitzer

Post by Chad Sweitzer »

Forgot to mention, I have fished 2 tournaments out of 17' fiberglass Rangers and one in a 18' Skeeter, the Tracker rides better than both in rough water. It's not the weight of the boat, it's the design of the hull and the driver.
PB: Spot-9.625 (Shasta Record) LMB-13.27 SM-4.36
Freefall

Post by Freefall »

I'll go sign up for driving lessons.
Fear does not prevent death, it prevents life.

You've never lived until you've almost died and for those who have fought for it, life has a whole new flavor that the protected will never know....
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Thanks for all the replies.
I should have prefaced my question with this.
I fished out of a Tracker 175 with a 50 horse four stroke for years, and, while it was a sail in the wind because it was so light and sat so high in the water, it was a dry boat in rough seas, as long as I drove smart.
I'm in a Ranger TR177 now, with a 115 Opti, and it is not a speed hull. It is a much more stable fishing platform than my Tracker, but it is not a dry ride in rough seas, and I can't run fast enough to ride the crests of the swells in white caps without taking a real pounding.
I've fished in club members boats which are 20'+, and the difference in ride in rough seas is night and day.
Since I'm retired, and don't know how much longer I'll be able to fish, I'm thinking I'd like to upgrade in size and power in a used boat, so I can get to more of the Delta to fish without being beaten to death.
It isn't a necessity. The boat I have now runs great, and fishes great.
I'm just trying to figure out if it makes sense, mostly to cut down on the pounding my back takes.
CLEAN AND DRY
Wolfeman

Post by Wolfeman »

Mark,
Guess go get a Ranger 520 and be done with it.
I'm running a Ranger R20 (17'10") with a Mariner 150. This is a rock-solid boat and I have run across the loser end of Franks in some tough conditions; just get it up on plane and find the sweet spot and go like hell.
But there are times where I just won't go out to Franks.
I've been in lots of boats on the Delta. My favorite is the 520. You can go anywhere in that beast.
- Wolfeman
"Don't take life too seriously. You're not getting out alive." Bugs Bunny
185vsfrog

Post by 185vsfrog »

I forgot to say I run a ranger 520 with a 225 now and I am completely happy with the ride. I like nasty weather and always look forward to fishing windy and nasty days on the delta now since I have a boat that can handle it!
Rod Martin

Post by Rod Martin »

Mark, If you decide to sell that TR177 let me know.
I have had Champions, 201, 186, Mean 16 and mean 15, Ranger 335 and Ranger TR177 out of all of them , the one I miss most is the TR177.

I had mine with a high 5 mercury prop on a 115 Mercury and I really liked the way it rode.

I got rid of it thinking I would never fish again in a bass style of boat because of my back ,knees and shoulders

Now after surgery on my back, both knees (replaced)open heart and both shoulders, the one I think I could still fish and I miss the most is the TR177.

I may want to try again
TR177 Ranger/ Mercury/Lowrance/ Ghost TM
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Rod Martin wrote:Mark, If you decide to sell that TR177 let me know.
I have had Champions, 201, 186, Mean 16 and mean 15, Ranger 335 and Ranger TR177 out of all of them , the one I miss most is the TR177.

I had mine with a high 5 mercury prop on a 115 Mercury and I really liked the way it rode.

I got rid of it thinking I would never fish again in a bass style of boat because of my back ,knees and shoulders

Now after surgery on my back, both knees (replaced)open heart and both shoulders, the one I think I could still fish and I miss the most is the TR177.

I may want to try again
Dang Rod, you're new man now, literally! :wink:
I'll keep you in mind if I do change boats.
CLEAN AND DRY
DarWise

Post by DarWise »

I told you to upgrade to a bigger boat a long time ago, if for no other reason than to hold all your rods and tackle! Now you're thinking you need a bigger boat! :lol: I love it when I can say, "I told you so!"
Rod Martin

Post by Rod Martin »

Mark most boats ride well if set up right and driven right. That said not to many people know enough to set up a boat. Motor setback, prop, # of blades on the prop and how its cupped, plus weight and where it is in the boat and how you drive and use of the trim button will all affect how your boat rides. If you just want to spend money go buy a different boat but the one you have can go anywhere on the delta or clear lake that any other bass out there can go and driven right will ride good . Its not fast, about 43mph is good for that boat. But it will cost less to operate, catch as many fish and bring you home as well or better than any of the other boats out there.
TR177 Ranger/ Mercury/Lowrance/ Ghost TM