Trailer Tires?

ACP

Trailer Tires?

Post by ACP »

Well it's time for a new set of tires for my Skeeter trailer. What tires have all of you had good luck with? Thanks in advance.
MikeR

Re: Trailer Tires?

Post by MikeR »

Goodyear Marathon. Prices vary but you can expect to pay between $80 and $100 each. I just ordered two from Big Brand Tires, a regional company here in the Ventura and Santa Barbara area, for $79 plus tax, mounting and balancing.

I flattened a tire after I hit a sharp rock at Havasu a couple of years ago, used my spare and replaced the bad tire with an Akuret, an inexpensive trailer tire made in China that I bought from l local tire shop there. Don't buy this brand. It doesn't hold the bead or seal very well at the rim and it went flat in less than a year just sitting in the spare tire holder without getting used.

Walmart also sells the Marathon tire.

Mike
Always lookin' for mud lines!
https://signarama.com/locations/ca-ventura/
Rich hamilton

Post by Rich hamilton »

Tomax STR from Les Schwab tires have been working well for me. It really is a good idea to change out your tires every two years if possible.

Having tires sit for long periods are bad for them as well as sun exposure etc. I am sure that there are plenty of tire guys on here that know way more than I do but if you can prevent a flat or accident it is worth every penny keeping them new and fresh. Maintaining the proper tire pressure is so important as well.

The customer service has been great and they are located just about anywhere. Richie Rich
If I don't meet you no more in this world Then I'll see you in the next one. Don't be late... Don't be late... Stevie Ray/Hendrix
Stratos278

Post by Stratos278 »

Call Scuba Jensen at Tire Pros of Clearlake
Jim C.
"Rip Some Lips!!!!"
R. Duzac

Post by R. Duzac »

I've had good luck with Kumho's from the www.tirerack.com
They have higher load rating and have 65 psi maximum.

The Goodyears and Carlisle's looked like they were flat on my 18.8 Viper Cobra even at 55 psi.
They were spongy and just didn't wear good.
I've also experience 2 blowouts on the Carlisles.

Give them a look, and ask around.
Thanks,
Rene
reellittlephish

Post by reellittlephish »

Skeeter ZX 225 has 2 - 14" Carlisles and 2 - 14" Hartlands. The Carlisles have not held up after 3 years. Hartlands are less than a year old on the trailer. Trailer however sits outside in Las Vegas. Had 2 tread separations and one blowout on the Carlisles.
The OEM 15" Marathons lasted about 3 years before they consistently began to loose pressure; then tread separation.

Bought replacements from Discount Tire with a 6 year warranty, which is about the only good thing I can say about that. Discount has replaced 3 of 4 under warranty. New tires run about $100 ea. plus fees. If I had the funds and could wait for an order, I'd go back to the 15" tires. Trailer handled better.
Robb R

Post by Robb R »

not recommending any particular brand , but some comments to see if anybody has heard the same .
Never keep tires longer than 5 years regardless of how many miles are on them ?
Always keep your tries inflated to max pressure rated on the tires ---keeps the sidewall from flexing therefore heating up the internal temperature of the tire causing blowouts ?
Lastly , one side of ALL trailers will wear one side of tires faster than the other side due to imperfections of alignment when the trailer was made ?
Tight lines ,
Robb
toddmc

Post by toddmc »

This topic seems to come up every few months. The two consistencies every time that it comes up are to keep your tires inflated to 50psi and to replace them regularly. It seems like every brand has issues if you try to get more than three years out of them or you don't keep them inflated.
I prefer the Marathon's even though Goodyear had some separation issues about a decade ago. The other five sets of Marathon's that I have had have been flawless. I really liked the Trailamerica tires that came on my trailer, but they no longer make them.
zdbm2004

Post by zdbm2004 »

Whatever you do just make sure you get tires that are ST rated for trailers. Second: shop at a place that is close by your residence and maybe even a chain store that is on the way to your favorite or local water (this may help big time one day). Also get a few prices on rubber,(American and other) makes you feel better even though you might pay more.
zmyers
birdman920

Post by birdman920 »

I have run almost every brand of trailer tire ! & I found that Goodyear "marathon" are the best ! you got to shop around " like mike r" Americas tire is a good place to start " also Walmart has them ! ... Just got to look for a sale goin on !...
birdman920

Post by birdman920 »

Any tire made in China " is junk !...
Jack Van Grouw

Post by Jack Van Grouw »

Believe me! Don't run any tire longer than 3 years or you are on borrowed time. All tires have a date on the side wall and that date is where your 3 years start. Again believe me! Jack