What size trolling motor do I need

nate50

What size trolling motor do I need

Post by nate50 »

I have a tracker that came with a min Kota 12v 45lb thrust. I fish the delta a ton and I quickly noticed I need to upgrade it. The tide and wind blow me all over. The boat is 17ft. What size to I need to upgrade to?
Whoopbass

Re: What size trolling motor do I need

Post by Whoopbass »

You need a 24v trolling motor if you have room for the extra battery. I had a 65# Maxxum on my Tracker and it pulled it fine. So look for a TM in the 65-80 lb class. 80# isn't going to pull you much faster then a 65# from my experience so if price is an issue go with a 65# motor. 24V will last you all day.
fishwithron

Post by fishwithron »

Had a 60# mg and on windy days and current there were time had to go full power just to hold. Went to a 70# a made a big dif on my then 18' champ. Upgraded to 80 fortex after that and still using that fortex 80# on my 206 champ. Go with at least a 24 volt 70# as I have friend who has a 16' tracker running a 50# 12 volt and has a tough time in the wind and wish he had gone bigger.
BassNDucks

Post by BassNDucks »

IMHO the biggest you can afford to. At least 24volt. And at least an 80#. I run a 112# and my buddy splurged and put a 112# on his 17ft and never once regretted it. FYI you never have to lift it to clear weeds.

TJ
nate50

Post by nate50 »

Thanks guys. If I go from a 12v to 24v how hard is it to switch to 24v? Is it a do it yourself or take it to the shop?
BassNDucks

Post by BassNDucks »

diy. Add a battery and a jump to the other... To connect the two and make them connect inline.
viperkirk

Post by viperkirk »

If you haven't already done this, I just wanted to add 2 cents on the wiring. There is a BIG difference in the current requirement of a 24V unit vs. a 12V. If the boat does not have a minimum 4 gauge wiring from the batteries to the motor, you should change it. Smaller gauge wire cannot provide enough current to the motor so it will not be as efficient and a heavy use could overheat the smaller wiring and cause you an even bigger problem. Its generally not hard to change it, just get the new wiring and attach each to the existing wires and pull them through. Good luck!!
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

Whichever you go to, 65 of 80, if you fish the Delta a lot you might add a Kipawa prop ! MUCH better in the weeds and has that extra pull for windy days. Good luck and GREAT fishing !!
2007 "Numb Nut"

Ranger Boats-Mercury Motors
Minnkota Ultrex -TRP Batterys
Raymarine - Troll Bridge
Gloomis - Shimano
Pepper Jigs - Robo Worms