Lucas financial support of the Delta Tunnels.

mark poulson

Lucas financial support of the Delta Tunnels.

Post by mark poulson »

Why is this okay?

The top single initiative donor, according to state campaign records, is Forrest Lucas, who contributed $100,000 last month. The co-founder of Lucas Oil Products, a Corona-based company that makes lubricants and additives, he owns a large Missouri cattle ranch and lives in Indiana.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
slkric

Re: Lucas financial support of the Delta Tunnels.

Post by slkric »

Interesting to hear the thoughts from the tournament director(s) they sponsors.
Levy

Post by Levy »

This would not be a good thing assuming it is correct. Mark, can you post the list?
steve0806

Post by steve0806 »

mark poulson wrote:Why is this okay?

The top single initiative donor, according to state campaign records, is Forrest Lucas, who contributed $100,000 last month. The co-founder of Lucas Oil Products, a Corona-based company that makes lubricants and additives, he owns a large Missouri cattle ranch and lives in Indiana.
Why is it not okay?
Freefall

Post by Freefall »

steve0806 wrote:
mark poulson wrote:Why is this okay?

Why is it not okay?
Technically there's nothing wrong with it depending on where you stand on the Delta tunnels. If your anti , which most of us are, then seeing a tour sponsor supporting the project is a hard pill to swallow. I personally don't support the companies that are pro tunnels. ...
Fear does not prevent death, it prevents life.

You've never lived until you've almost died and for those who have fought for it, life has a whole new flavor that the protected will never know....
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Levy wrote:This would not be a good thing assuming it is correct. Mark, can you post the list?
It came from this article:

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-m ... story.html
CLEAN AND DRY
Morgan

Post by Morgan »

Well that says it, I will not buy Lucas products anymore.

Morgan
cdevette

Post by cdevette »

Kind of weird that Lucas supports and sponsors a lot of Bass Tourneys and then to see this. Interesting future ahead of us here in NorCal. These tunnels will decimate the fishing up here, that can't be denied whether your pro farming/Ag or pro environment. Big money talks..its up to us to fight these water grabbers..(water is the next oil) just watch :| .
wayneg
Westernbass.com Staff

Post by wayneg »

PLEASE HOLD TIGHT!!!
Westernbass Bass and Wild West Bass Trail have both spoken in depth to Lucas Oil. Lucas Oil has been made aware of this situation and all our concerns. Lucas Oil has confirmed that at no time was the company made aware of any altercations or ramifications to the Fish & Wildlife of California with this donation.

Lucas Oil is vetting the facts and will be coming out with a formal statement very soon on this matter.

Wayne
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

I have been in contact with people all the way up to Forrest Lucas today on this matter. Forrest Lucas is behind conservation to the 10th degree. This is why he started "Protect The Harvest". Forrest said today that he's never in support of killing fish or many of the other things I laid out about this Delta tunnel project.

I'm going to put this in my own words here after lengthy discussions today. Forrest is checking into this matter as I write this response. It's very possible Lucas Oil was given an "end around here". Most of us that has spent any time on this matter know that the powers to be are mudding up the waters and clouding the facts of this project. Knowing the Lucas guys as I do they would never knowingly get involved in anything to hurt fisheries.

Lucas has put a lot of money into our sport since 2011, don't crucify the man/company until he gets a chance to dig into this. The comments made to me today, I know where this company stands on certain political issues. I'm in 100% agreement too!!

Also, speaking with Ron Lappin of FLW yesterday, they will be sending out text blasts and emails to all members to help bring awareness and support on this topic. Kathy Fennel ( FLW Pres ) has even said she'd fly out in support of us fishermen. WWBT will also be sending out text blasts and emails. This is a time for all fishermen to band together and show up in person for support on this issue.
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

More info from Lucas.

They are digging into this matter. They are in support of new lakes and extending dams. They want to add fisheries NOT hurt them. They are reaching way up the ladder talking to people that make decisions. After my last conversation a few minutes ago, I know where the Lucas family sits on this issue. I honestly believe some good could come out of this situation today. There will be a statement from Lucas Oil coming as well.

Bottom line, if we can get a push going for more lakes and extended dams it'll go a lot farther with water issues than anything I've seen proposed so far. They are still building large tracts of homes and still turning desert land in CA into farm land. We need more water period. I just wonder if it'll ever be enough in this thirsty state?
george

Post by george »

Maybe Mr. Lucas and Lucas Oil would be open to putting the same $100,000 donation behind the Save The Delta program and the opponents of the tunnels. We definitely need some national attention as the vote in both the Congress and Senate will come from the entire nation.
I have spoken to representatives of Bass Pro Shops and many tackle sponsors and they just all seem to want to take a sit and wait approach.
One thing I can and will guarantee you is this; the Metropolitan Water District and there twenty six plus members here in SoCal could care less if any of you ever fish again or make a living from the fishing industry.
I go over to Irvine as well as many of the greater LA basin cities a couple times a month and there is more new homes and apartment building going up right now as I have ever seen anywhere in the state and I am a real estate broker.
SoCal has no intention of slowing or putting restrictions and moratoriums on building down here as these water districts make thousands of dollars per year off each "Will Serve" notices that they provide. This is hundreds of millions of dollars in water management and brokerage fees along side the water districts through out the central and southern California valleys.
I say "We" because even with me now living in SoCal my fishing soul still lives in the California Delta and motherlode lakes. If we let them destroy the delta we let them destroy our lakes as these policies with all run upstream.
If you don't think it will happen to the delta just look at Owens Lake! Metropolitan Water District purchase all of the land up river and bypassed what was a great reservoir; now it is no longer a lake or body of water as the SoCal water districts are brokering that watershed.
Taut Line

Post by Taut Line »

Mark Poulson, this information is completely wrong. Lucas contributed to a qualifying campaign to stop the High Speed Rail and use its bond funds to build more reservoirs, to catch more water, to have more water for fish, people and farmers throughout the entire state. You've done him a big disservice by saying that he contributed to the Tunnels WaterFix. There's no election campaign for those tunnels--the public has been completely blocked out of the picture with respect to voting on them except for a ballot measure that would require a public vote on all infrastructure projects paid for by the public rather than users. The campaign that Lucas supported would be good for fish because, for every acre-foot stored, half would go for fish, habitat and water quality. You owe Lucas Oil a big SORRY! for getting this wrong.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Taut Line wrote:Mark Poulson, this information is completely wrong. Lucas contributed to a qualifying campaign to stop the High Speed Rail and use its bond funds to build more reservoirs, to catch more water, to have more water for fish, people and farmers throughout the entire state. You've done him a big disservice by saying that he contributed to the Tunnels WaterFix. There's no election campaign for those tunnels--the public has been completely blocked out of the picture with respect to voting on them except for a ballot measure that would require a public vote on all infrastructure projects paid for by the public rather than users. The campaign that Lucas supported would be good for fish because, for every acre-foot stored, half would go for fish, habitat and water quality. You owe Lucas Oil a big SORRY! for getting this wrong.
I quoted an article, and added a link to that article.
Read it.
The article states that state campaign records lists Forrest Lucas as having made the single largest contribution to the initiative to amend the State Constitution.
"As now worded, the initiative would amend Article X of the California Constitution to make the state’s highest priority water uses domestic and irrigation. Though the state Water Code has long done that, attorneys said putting it in the constitution could bolster legal challenges to state requirements for environmental flows in the Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta and rivers that supply the Central Valley."
"It could be a whole new ballgame,” said Craig Wilson, a former chief counsel of the State Water Resources Control Board. “It could change the mandate of the water board from having to balance all the different reasonable uses.”
David Guy, president of the Northern California Water Association of Sacramento Valley water suppliers, which opposed the initiative, said his group is willing to sit down with the alliance.
“It was just unfortunate the way this kind of evolved,” he said. “If they want to try a different path, we’d welcome working with them on it.“ "

If Mr. Lucas did not make that contribution to the initiative, I am apologize.
But if he did, he did.
It's pretty simple, and the only thing I want to do is to protect the CA Delta.
CLEAN AND DRY
Taut Line

Post by Taut Line »

mark poulson wrote:I quoted an article, and added a link to that article.
Read it. If Mr. Lucas did not make that contribution to the initiative, I am apologize.
But if he did, he did. It's pretty simple, and the only thing I want to do is to protect the CA Delta.
The error is in the interpretation, not in the facts stated in the article. Mr. Lucas did contribute money to qualify a ballot initiative, as the article says, but it's misleading to say that the initiative would fund the Twin Tunnels--it names exactly the projects that can be funded with redirected High-Speed Rail funds and explicitly PROHIBITS funds being used for other purposes, including Twin Tunnels and WaterFix projects. Your thread title is false. Mr. Lucas did not fund an initiative that would build the Twin Tunnels -- there is no such initiative.
Wolfeman

Post by Wolfeman »

http://www.sos.ca.gov/elections/ballot- ... rculation/

1769. (15-0107A1)
Water Bond. Reallocation of Bond Authority to Water Storage Projects. Initiative Constitutional Amendment and Statute. 'Prioritizes water uses in California, with domestic uses first and irrigation uses second, over environmental, recreational, and other beneficial uses'

Is this the initiative we are talking about, or is it one of the others?
"Don't take life too seriously. You're not getting out alive." Bugs Bunny
Whoopbass

Post by Whoopbass »

The article about the tunnels is gone. The other article sounds like Farmers many of them that are rich want tax payer dollars to fund new water projects in which that water will go to domestic and farm use. Municipalities and farmers will reap the benefits while the public will get the shaft.

The article states Mr. Lucas Founded an organization called "Protect the Harvest". Basically a "Pro Farm" stance organization and I assume that's why he donated the $100K. Now i'm not against farming but in the last 10-20 years millionaires have came in and turned the valley into one big almond orchard. These are not your poor farmers scraping by and working the land. The have taken our water and turned it into almonds to export to China. The public has been left with low reservoirs, very little river flow, brown lawns, and dirt playing fields where our kids play sports on.

Read the article and you can see how this state works. It's nothing but a tax payer money grab so the rich can get richer. The IGNORANT public voted on a stupid train and now we are going to be duped into diverting those billions to millionaires/billionaires so their farming investments will reap higher rewards.

Mr. Lucas may have not donated to a set of tunnels but he did donate to a group that is not on our side. I'm not going to read the article again but I think he donated to the California Water Alliance. Is this the group that has thrown out nothing but lies about striper predation and who is trying to get the bag limits changed on all non native species?
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

mark poulson wrote:
Levy wrote:This would not be a good thing assuming it is correct. Mark, can you post the list?
It came from this article:

This link works.

Why do they need to amend the State Constitution, if not to get around the environmental protections for our water resources, including the Delta?
CLEAN AND DRY
gabuelhaj

Post by gabuelhaj »

They're skirting the constitution so that 10.7 billion can redirected towards the 15.7 billion twin tunnel project. 5 billion to go and they are there...

Good luck!
Glenn Abuelhaj
jimmyG

Post by jimmyG »

I have to agree here with whoopbass on the large corporate farmers and water municipality water districts. Their going to suck us dry in the northern state like they did to the Colorado River and Lake Mead which are at record lows.

A prime example of big corporate farmers taking the water for their personal greed is that Calif. has gone from the world's 7th largest economy to the world's 6th largest economy. That's awesome, considering it was done in the drought years when it was mandatory water conservation for residential users.

All of Calif. governor's have come from southern Calif., so who do you think their going to take care of first?
Taut Line

Post by Taut Line »

People on this thread are making lots of assumptions about a dead initiative that will not be on the ballot this November. To learn the truth from those who wrote the initiative, go to https://cawater4all.com/mythbuster/, including why they wanted to amend the state constitution, how water for fish and for the Delta would be improved and protected, and why the priorities of the state with respect to water are fouled up and need to be fixed.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Taut Line wrote:People on this thread are making lots of assumptions about a dead initiative that will not be on the ballot this November. To learn the truth from those who wrote the initiative, go to https://cawater4all.com/mythbuster/, including why they wanted to amend the state constitution, how water for fish and for the Delta would be improved and protected, and why the priorities of the state with respect to water are fouled up and need to be fixed.
I read the info on your link.
It says it will not affect Federal environmental safeguards, but it does not say why it wants to eliminate CA State environmental safeguards.
Why do they want to put agricultural water needs ahead of environmental protection?
CLEAN AND DRY
Whoopbass

Post by Whoopbass »

The "TRUTH".....now that's a damn lie. Your side has done nothing but lie about the cause of the water issues. If your side wanted a fair, equal, sensible distribution of what water we have then that would be fine but you want it all whether its in a lake or under the ground.
Now you see all this rail money setting there and are devising ways to steal that. Sounds like you want the tax payers to pay for it while you and the municipalities will have 100% control of where the water goes and who profits from it.
The worst thing is your side will eventually win. You have both political parties in your back pocket and a state full of idiots that can vote.
Last edited by Whoopbass on Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
LV Ba$$

Post by LV Ba$$ »

^^^
THIS!
Morgan

Post by Morgan »

If we had a Governor that wasn't bought out by his Southern California millionaire pals, and Billionaire Stewart Resnick and his 'Wonderful' pistachios and almonds, he would put an immediate moratorium on all new homes and planting of permanent crops. We are in a crisis and he doesn't care. Every inch in the valley is being planted. The cost of all other crops, like the foods we actually eat is rising because they can make more money on almonds and pistachios. Our ground is sinking and not coming back like a sponge would.

Their misinformation amazes me: Some reservoirs make sense, but the Kerckhoff one doesn't get any water except on the wettest of years. DUH? They want to stop all water from flowing to the ocean and keep spreading that message like it's a horrible thing. DUH? They keep spreading the message that the only problem is 'a tiny 2 inch fish'. DUH? One area that was overdrafted and sank, came back up. DUH? They haven't already taken too much water from the Delta. DUH?

Problem is, spread enough misinformation, and people will believe it and vote that way.

Bottom line, if anything you see supports taking water from the Delta, someone is getting rich, and not just farmers, I mean politicians. And sometime, hidden in their bills is the real truth. They are dirtier than the farms they are watering.

Morgan
Whoopbass

Post by Whoopbass »

Good stuff Morgan :D
This taut line guy is nothing but a shill for these crooks that our trying to steal all the water at the expense of the people. They have misleading websites like the one mentioned above and Save the Stan as well as many others i'm sure. I hear their lies on the radio and in newspapers and it makes me sick.
Wolfeman

Post by Wolfeman »

Morgan for Governor!!!
"Don't take life too seriously. You're not getting out alive." Bugs Bunny
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Morgan, I agree with everything you said, and I voted for him four times for Governor. I guess that makes me a really.....
CLEAN AND DRY
Rod Martin

Post by Rod Martin »

Taut Line wrote:People on this thread are making lots of assumptions about a dead initiative that will not be on the ballot this November. To learn the truth from those who wrote the initiative, go to https://cawater4all.com/mythbuster/, including why they wanted to amend the state constitution, how water for fish and for the Delta would be improved and protected, and why the priorities of the state with respect to water are fouled up and need to be fixed.

Who is Taut Line ? Joined just for this subject, has posted just on this subject and there is nothing in his info to show who he is. Does anyone know him?
TR177 Ranger/ Mercury/Lowrance/ Ghost TM
Otay Michael

Post by Otay Michael »

If you facebook here a lady that is working on keeping everyone up to date on fighting the tunnels. As the 'about' page reads "Restore the Delta is a grassroots campaign committed to saving the San Francisco Bay-Delta estuary for our children and future generations."

Please add your two cents there too, so many great folks fighting the fight, including 99% of those on this thread. Love almonds, but CALIFORNIA ALMONDS SUCK! What did I read, 10 gallons of water to produce each almond, which is then mostly shipped to CHINA? What the hey?

Please go 'Like' the page and keep up to date on articles she finds, is quoted in, in meetings, etc.:
https://www.facebook.com/RestoretheDelta/
Otay Michael

All I need to get into the money would be the four I usually get along with a 20# kicker.

Own no boring art: www.seewald.com
Name written in the book of life.
Taut Line

Post by Taut Line »

Rod Martin wrote:
Taut Line wrote:Who is Taut Line ? Joined just for this subject, has posted just on this subject and there is nothing in his info to show who he is. Does anyone know him?
I'm a 68-year-old lifelong fisherman who loves nature, water, hunting (!) deer and birds, and the thrill of the sound of line spilling off of my reel as a wild steelhead runs for blue water. I live in Rocklin with my wife. My son is a fishing guide in the Mt. Shasta area. These days, I fish catch and release only. I spent my professional career as an author and writer, and wrote the first guidebook ever on Redwood National Park. I also love racing cars, especially vintage Lotus. I use Lucas oil products in my machine, and you guys are tarring the wrong company and its owner. In fact, if you sat down with him to talk instead of just yapping, you would find out that he's every bit as concerned as you are about how water is being treated here in California. Your forum is a bunch of thugs, and while I've read it for a long time because I enjoy fishing, I rarely get involved. You just pushed the wrong button.
Rod Martin

Post by Rod Martin »

Taut Line wrote:
Rod Martin wrote:
Taut Line wrote:Who is Taut Line ? Joined just for this subject, has posted just on this subject and there is nothing in his info to show who he is. Does anyone know him?
I'm a 68-year-old lifelong fisherman who loves nature, water, hunting (!) deer and birds, and the thrill of the sound of line spilling off of my reel as a wild steelhead runs for blue water. I live in Rocklin with my wife. My son is a fishing guide in the Mt. Shasta area. These days, I fish catch and release only. I spent my professional career as an author and writer, and wrote the first guidebook ever on Redwood National Park. I also love racing cars, especially vintage Lotus. I use Lucas oil products in my machine, and you guys are tarring the wrong company and its owner. In fact, if you sat down with him to talk instead of just yapping, you would find out that he's every bit as concerned as you are about how water is being treated here in California. Your forum is a bunch of thugs, and while I've read it for a long time because I enjoy fishing, I rarely get involved. You just pushed the wrong button.

If you think asking who you are is pushing the wrong button you're a light weight

I have not seen you on here before and you did not put any clues as too who or what you are.
I know most of the others posting on this and I know what to expect from them.
You are new no back ground to go by. Thats why I asked. Now you jumped, I'm not impressed

But like most of the rest on here I will wait till more is out there before I decide how I feel
TR177 Ranger/ Mercury/Lowrance/ Ghost TM
Morgan

Post by Morgan »

So a week ago Wednesday, this was brought up, we heard that we were a bunch of thugs and we heard from someone sponsored by them. We did not hear from them. That's a statement also.....

Morgan
DanIsaac

Post by DanIsaac »

Morgan wrote:So a week ago Wednesday, this was brought up, we heard that we were a bunch of thugs and we heard from someone sponsored by them. We did not hear from them. That's a statement also.....

Morgan

OUCH, but I doubt you will.......
ReelEx, your source for quality, professional service on your Shimano, Lews, or Revo reels.

Guaranteed 96 hr turnaround on service.
650-454-4938 http://www.reel-ex.com
Taut Line

Post by Taut Line »

DanIsaac wrote:
Morgan wrote:So a week ago Wednesday, this was brought up, we heard that we were a bunch of thugs and we heard from someone sponsored by them. We did not hear from them. That's a statement also.....

Morgan
Oh, still participating--you stalk fish in your way, and I'll stalk you in mine. Add "character assassin" to "thug," as I am not sponsored by anyone, and have no relationship whatsoever with "them." Face facts. You were off base, and you got caught. Go to the woodshed and take your punishment.
Jerred A Jennings

Post by Jerred A Jennings »

Way out of line!
Lucas does a ton for fishing and hunting period.
Dan does a lot for the fishing community.

Western Bass time to delete this thread !!!
Tarpon120

Post by Tarpon120 »

This is pretty funny. This is one of the most tame and sanitized forums out there. Sorry to hear about your owie TL.

Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Gotta agree with you Tarpon. WB is very tame and sanitized. I can't even mention how I caught fish using ****** baits with ******* 65lb braid loaded on a ******** reel all perfectly balanced on a ********** flipping rod when fishing from my awesome ********* bassboat with a ********** engine. :-)
~~ I'm trying to think but nothing happens ~~
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8MhaihAw7I&feature=related
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Howard, Howard, Howard..... :lol: :lol: :lol:
CLEAN AND DRY
DanIsaac

Post by DanIsaac »

Taut Line wrote:
DanIsaac wrote:

Morgan
Oh, still participating--you stalk fish in your way, and I'll stalk you in mine. Add "character assassin" to "thug," as I am not sponsored by anyone, and have no relationship whatsoever with "them." Face facts. You were off base, and you got caught. Go to the woodshed and take your punishment.
Huh? I was making a joke. I have no idea wth you are talking about? I never commented on the main topic here prior?

However, IMHO it does appear someone made a really big OH OH, and NO I'm not excusing anyone's behavior here. For the record, I have no affiliation with any of the parties involved in this.

I hope this clears up any confusion.

Dan
ReelEx, your source for quality, professional service on your Shimano, Lews, or Revo reels.

Guaranteed 96 hr turnaround on service.
650-454-4938 http://www.reel-ex.com
rdesmangles

Post by rdesmangles »

"A bunch of thugs..." That is incorrect and rather dismissive. The conversation is absolutely necessary and brilliant. For many years the people repeatedly voted down legislation intended to grab water. However the cigar smoking fat cats are relentless and their political action efforts are extremely monetized and organized. In addition they have hired slick and deceptive advertising firms to sculpture a calculated narrative which falsely accuses natural fish as a culprit while intentionally and deliberately hiding the mega corporate agri-business greed and the out of control development practices primarily in the Southern California region. So Cal political pressure is real and there are current huge aquaduct construction projects throughout the state. The people's voice is squelched in the political process and backdoor deals is the new order. Lucas is a large corporation that needs to respond... Where is their position? We can all call Lucas but they understand that they have received a challenge - so now it's time for Lucas to share their position.
http://www.legalshield.com/hub/rdesmangles
Ceaser

Post by Ceaser »

when the topic of Ag is discussed in the link posted to read about the bill, its pretty clear they are trying dance around the topic gingerly. It also clearly states it is backed by socal politicians, who care nothing about the delta. taken directly from the link

MYTH: Was Written By Small Group In San Joaquin Valley
THE FACTS: Drafted in collaboration by a leading constitutional attorney, independent regulatory analysts in Sacramento, and High-Speed Rail accountability experts’ attorney, along with members of the California Water Alliance, a statewide non-partisan, non-profit, non-governmental, policy-reform organization. Proponents include Sen. Bob Huff and Board of Equalization Vice Chair Charles Runner, respectively representing Southern California and a majority of the non-Coastal counties of California. Since its filing, it has received significant support from a broad spectrum of the public and from many others across the geography of California.

no one included in this has any affiliation with helping the delta or protecting our fishery in anyway.

On California water alliance's home page has this is an excerpt from the first article posted only a few paragraphs in

"The big difference is that farmers use their water to grow food for people. The
environmentalists divert or otherwise withhold water because they want to protect
their pet causes, such as a tiny fish called the delta smelt.

California collects and distributes water through large infrastructure projects,
including reservoirs and aqueducts. These reservoirs have the potential to hold about
42 million acre-feet of water, enough to submerge all of Iowa in nearly knee-deep
water. However, each year one-half of the rain and snow that falls in California is
permitted to run off without being managed. Of the water that is managed, nearly
one-half is used for environmental purposes, such as providing in-stream flows for
fish and to provide habitat for other wildlife. "

It is clear they support people who think our fishery is unimportant. using the delta smelt as a scapegoat when anyone who knows anything knows our once bountiful salmon fishery in on the brink of collapse due to reduced flows over the years. This water bond IS NOT in the best interest of the delta. It is easy to see this with a little research, its supporters are socal water grabbers and central valley farmer coalitions. If Lucas cares about the Delta and our fishery then why dont they donate to "Save the Delta"!!!!! Just a fraction of the donation they made to this horrible bill would do wonders... so i mean, help us out Lucas Oil. The Delta needs your help. Step up, actions speak louder than words. But, with so much invested in OUR OPPOSITION, i doubt they will even give a penny.
is that glitter!? Nice boat tinkerbell!