Oroville Starter Kit

Chad Sweitzer

Oroville Starter Kit

Post by Chad Sweitzer »

Hey Everyone,
I will be attending Chico State this year and Oroville will be my new home lake. I have no experience there but from what the tournament results are it looks like some tough fishing (for size) compared to my Motherlode lakes. I'm gonna make a Tackle Warehouse order before I move in just so I can have some of the most productive baits/rigs/line to start. What works for the better fish at Oroville? Do you have to wade through the dinks to get them, or are the big fish always on a separate pattern like at Melones?
Thanks and feel free to PM me!
PB: Spot-9.625 (Shasta Record) LMB-13.27 SM-4.36
MGJR

Re: Oroville Starter Kit

Post by MGJR »

It is not dissimilar from Motherload Lakes, other than its primarily a spotted bass fishery. Yes, there are numbers, but if you want to fish for better quality, you can. It changes over the year, so it is difficult to give you a list. You do not need 4/0 EWG hooks, I will tell you that! I live in Chico, have fished Oroville my whole life. If you have more specific questions, happy to help.
spinnerbait70

Post by spinnerbait70 »

Chad,
When the water levels are stable I've always had better success throwin reaction baits. All my bigger spots have come on spinnerbaits and rip baits. Top water is also a player. Wind blown banks and points. Main body and north fork are my favorite areas. Mostly due to the fact that I've run into wolfpacks 4 times and they were all in those areas. those wolfpacks were huge and if you run into one, its unforgettable.
Lures of choice
1. Terminator spinnerbait ( beveled blades )
2. Bandit 200 ( rootbeer Chartruese belly )
3. Pointer 100 ( ghost )
4. speed trap ( crystal craw )
5. Vixen
6. Jig
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

Oroville fishes the same as Motherlode lakes. You will be fine here. I catch better fish on reaction baits and the mighty Senko. Oroville is a great fishery and has lots of fish. Plenty of quality fish are caught on Robo Worms, tubes, and other plastics, but you'll have to weed through lots of fish for a quality bag. Still 10 tons of fun anyway. Far better than not getting bit much. Reaction baits win a lot on Oroville. But, the Senko has always been a top producer here as well. When I go to the Senko I do not feel like I'm down sizing or just fishing to get bit. The Senko is a winning bait on Oroville and so many ways to fish it. I feel it's a better lake than Motherlode lakes myself. But I'm a little biased as it's 45 min from home.
BigGriz

Post by BigGriz »

Welcome to Chico! Be sure to check in with the Chico state bass club if you haven't already. Good group of guys and a whole lot of fun.

As for Oroville, I've always had good luck throwing top water and reaction baits for bigger fish. Be sure you make it out there between mid sept to early November for some awesome fall action. You'll catch so many fish it will be hard not to learn the lake. Shakey head, tubes, and senkos will get bit year round. Good luck!

-David
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

Chad both Chico and Paradise have good clubs. It's worth checking into them. Lots of good guys in these clubs.