2 hds gen3 graphs won't work at the same time

Moderator: Ken Sauret

machadobass

2 hds gen3 graphs won't work at the same time

Post by machadobass »

This is probably for Ken Sauret.I have a brand-new set of HDS nine's that came with a new TRX 20 patriot. Console graph works fine by itself but if you turn on the bow graph it will not turn on. It goes to the screen HDS nine with the blue background and blinks a few times and then the console graph will go to the HDs blue screen. If you turn one of the graphs off, then the other one will work. Both units will not work at the same time. I did a soft reset on both and they work for a short while then they went back to the old ways of not working together . Several calls to lowrance and the only thing they thought it might be the ethernet cable is bad. Any suggestions. Thank you
Edd

Re: 2 hds gen3 graphs won't work at the same time

Post by Edd »

Sounds like the current or voltage supply (2 different things) to the MFD's is not adequate for both to start. Try this.....remove the power cable from the bow HDS or the console, which ever is easiest to remove from the power source. Run some # 14 wire directly from the battery to the power connector, then reconnect to the HDS. Turn the HDS on that you did not remove the cord from and allow to fully turn on. Now turn on the HDS you have connected directly to the battery. If it powers up and they both stay ON, you know what the problem is. Not familiar with this brand of boat so can't tell you HOW they run circuits.
If this seems like too much for you, try turning on one MFD, adding 'supply voltage' to your data overlay. Turn that unit off and do the same with the other MFD. Now look at the voltage overlay on this unit and watch it as you turn the other unit ON. If it drops too much you know what the problem is.
machadobass

Post by machadobass »

Not sure about doing what you said but I did take the front graph and unplugged one of the ethernet plugs. After I did that both units went on. I plugged it back in and then both units froze. I unplugged it and it worked again. Definitely don't know what I'm doing but I do know it isn't right. Hopefully the dealers tech will be in the shop tomorrow. Thank you for your help
Edd

Post by Edd »

You did a good job of narrowing down the source. Now if you can borrow another Ethernet cable to try, you can maybe fix it. If new cable does not remedy the problem, I would think the source would be in one of the Ethernet ports.
Edd

Post by Edd »

Also try switching ports on both 9's with existing cable.
Edd

Post by Edd »

Also try switching ports on both 9's with existing cable.
machadobass

Post by machadobass »

Thank you for your help. I will get to it when I can. Will post progress.
machadobass

Post by machadobass »

Well, much to my disappointment the units stopped working together. Back to square 1. On my old 332 I could go to status and get a reading of voltage. Call me crazy but I can't find a voltage gauge anywhere on this unit. I'm getting a serious headache from all this. Chime in if you can. Thanks
Edd

Post by Edd »

machadobass wrote:Well, much to my disappointment the units stopped working together. Back to square 1. On my old 332 I could go to status and get a reading of voltage. Call me crazy but I can't find a voltage gauge anywhere on this unit. I'm getting a serious headache from all this. Chime in if you can. Thanks
This will help you understand this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r67ENGSmZvQ

Also the Supply Voltage is found all the way at the bottom of the page.
machadobass

Post by machadobass »

OK, here's what we found at the dealer. Triton factory ran 2 ethernet cables between the two units. Only one cable is needed for only two units. Removed one of the cables and both units seem to be working fine now.
Edd

Post by Edd »

I want to take a moment and commend you for being so diligent in solving your problems. Most users by now would have already started the typical 'Lowrance C/S Bashing thread'. In all actuallity Lowrance C/S has absolutely no way of knowing that a boat dealer 'rigger' had installed 2 Ethernet cables, and so goes on the bashing. machadobass put forth an effort that should be followed by ALL boaters/fishermen. Exhausting ALL possible measures prior to getting your RMA and being without your MFD for a couple of weeks. I thank you, personally.

Edd
machadobass

Post by machadobass »

Thank you Edd. That's how we roll.