Which Batteries Are Best

CATCHEMCARO

Which Batteries Are Best

Post by CATCHEMCARO »

Time for new batteries for my Mincota fortrex 80. I don't mind spending the money and I want batteries that will last the longest on a windy day while fishing the Delta. And while Im on the topic. Which cranking battery is the best?
Thanks
Rich
WWW.SCBBBC.COM
http://catchemcarobaits.com/index.html
drew

Re: Which Batteries Are Best

Post by drew »

There are 3-4 manufactures to choose from. The different names are just re-stickered.

The best for your application would be the Northstar manufactured group 24 (57lbs, 160min RC) or 27(68lbs, 195min RC).

Tackle Warehouse Drakon or Batteries plus X2.

Eastpenn Deka
Orielly's
Carquest (older) + many others

Johnson controls,
Walmart, Carquest, Interstate, Autozone & Optima + many others

Trojan, do not know if they are a manufacturer or re-label

Northstar
Odyssy, Sears Platinum, Drakon, X2 + many more with ribbed case.

CATCHEMCARO wrote:Time for new batteries for my Mincota fortrex 80. I don't mind spending the money and I want batteries that will last the longest on a windy day while fishing the Delta. And while Im on the topic. Which cranking battery is the best?
Thanks
Rich
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

drew wrote:There are 3-4 manufactures to choose from. The different names are just re-stickered.

The best for your application would be the Northstar manufactured group 24 (57lbs, 160min RC) or 27(68lbs, 195min RC).

Tackle Warehouse Drakon or Batteries plus X2.

Eastpenn Deka
Orielly's
Carquest (older) + many others

Johnson controls,
Walmart, Carquest, Interstate, Autozone & Optima + many others

Trojan, do not know if they are a manufacturer or re-label

Northstar
Odyssy, Sears Platinum, Drakon, X2 + many more with ribbed case.

CATCHEMCARO wrote:Time for new batteries for my Mincota fortrex 80. I don't mind spending the money and I want batteries that will last the longest on a windy day while fishing the Delta. And while Im on the topic. Which cranking battery is the best?
Thanks
Rich
Drew,
Do you know who makes the Costco batteries?
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
drew

Post by drew »

I believe they are a Johnson Control product. All of the JC batteries are the same construct except the spiral cell Optima's.
mark poulson wrote:
Drew,
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

drew wrote:I believe they are a Johnson Control product. All of the JC batteries are the same construct except the spiral cell Optima's.
mark poulson wrote:
Drew,
Thanks.
CLEAN AND DRY
Freefall

Post by Freefall »

My buddy put VMAX AGMs in his boat and swears by them.
Fear does not prevent death, it prevents life.

You've never lived until you've almost died and for those who have fought for it, life has a whole new flavor that the protected will never know....
WRB

Post by WRB »

Group 24 would be ok for a cranking battery unless it's running state of the art sonar units.
Group 29 or 31 is a better choice for trolling motors. AGM's are a good choice, not a fan of Opima since Interstate/JC bought them.
Trojan is a manufacture of wet cell batteries, not sure about their AGM.
VMAX MR137-120 is a group 31 @ 68 lbs, about $250.
Tom
drew

Post by drew »

Its not as easy to compare group size as it used to be since some of the high performance pure lead thin plate AGM batteries have better then average output and weight.

I personally would not run anything larger then a group 27 Northstar for TM's. Especially for an 80lb unit. You have to compare the CCA and/or the reserve capacity.

For an Optimax or any 225-250HP modern outboard cranking battery I would get the highest output battery possible. A group 31 Northstar is currently the only option. Now that does include its rebranded units, Odyssy, X2, Sears Platinum and Cabela's X9000 etc. It is the highest output available without going to a lithium.

WRB wrote:Group 24 would be ok for a cranking battery unless it's running state of the art sonar units.
Group 29 or 31 is a better choice for trolling motors. AGM's are a good choice, not a fan of Opima since Interstate/JC bought them.
Trojan is a manufacture of wet cell batteries, not sure about their AGM.
VMAX MR137-120 is a group 31 @ 68 lbs, about $250.
Tom
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

I use a dual purpose deep cycle battery for my cranking battery, so I can run my livewell all day if needed, and not worry about cranking power late in the day.
CLEAN AND DRY
Bassfishman

Post by Bassfishman »

Costco batteries are manufactured by Interstate now. I just bought one of their marine/RV deep discharge batteries from Costco for my cranking battery. Only one year warranty though - I was kinda surprised about that.
DanIsaac

Post by DanIsaac »

Odyssey group 31s ROCK! Absolutely amazing!
ReelEx, your source for quality, professional service on your Shimano, Lews, or Revo reels.

Guaranteed 96 hr turnaround on service.
650-454-4938 http://www.reel-ex.com
toddmc

Post by toddmc »

I've had good luck with the Centenial maintenance free batteries. I run three 31 size for my 36v trolling motor and a 27 cranking size for my 200hp Optimax and Helix 10/360 Imaging electronics. Both sets that I have owned have been replaced after three years and about 150 cycles. I'm sure that I could get much longer out of them because they work great after three years. I don't know who makes them.
Both Angler's Marine and Last Chance Performance Marine recommend and sell them. My friend runs an 80 Fortrex with two 31 size Centenial batteries because I suggested them. He realy likes them also.
CATCHEMCARO

Post by CATCHEMCARO »

Thanks everyone for all the good feed back. Now I need to decide and buy some fresh batteries so I can get out there and slay all day.
Rich
WWW.SCBBBC.COM
http://catchemcarobaits.com/index.html
briansII

Post by briansII »

If you are looking for something that will last the longest during your fishing day, you need to look at the battery specs. Mainly what you want to look at is the RC or Reserve Charge. The higher the RC number, the longer your batteries will run the trolling motor. Generally speaking, the higher RC rating, the higher the cost of the battery. Those batteries are usually high end AGMs, or the very expensive lithium batteries.

briansII