Anyone use braid to flouro for big bait fishing?

swimjig

Anyone use braid to flouro for big bait fishing?

Post by swimjig »

Does anyone use braid to flouro for big bait (swimbait) or heavy (jigs) fishing? What knot do you use, and do you use a long leader to where the knot is spooled on the reel?
nate50

Re: Anyone use braid to flouro for big bait fishing?

Post by nate50 »

I use braid to a mono leader for almost every technique. I do use a long leader to where the knot goes inside the spool. I haven't had any issues with it catching on guides or in the reel it self. The knot I use is called a blood knot I believe. I haven't had any issues with the knot giving out
SacRtrain

Post by SacRtrain »

I use this set up for stripers and big baits for bass. Ill tie 50 or 65 PP to Sensi 25 lb for best results. I also do it when I flip and punch. I use the Alberto AKA double albrite or double Albright knot. You can youtube it. Super easy and strong. With large diameter lines I do 7 wraps and 5 back. You'll know what I'm talking when you see the knot. More wraps make it very difficult to properly seat the knot on larger line. MAKE SURE TO LEAVE A 1/2" TAG LINE OF BRAID. The knot always snugs a bit more and if that tag slips, you're SOL. I've always done well with it including 30-40 lb stripers.
Tony M

Post by Tony M »

The best knot I've found for braid to flourocarbon is the FG knot. It is the strongest knot for this application. You can use a longer leader, as the knot goes through the guides without making any ticking noise. Look it up on you tube.
swimjig

Post by swimjig »

Thanks everyone! I've tried this in the past, but was never really confident in it as I've lost some lures due to the knot breaking off with or without setting the hook on a fish. I'll try out some of the knots listed.
THE DR

Post by THE DR »

I use braid to Flouro for all striper and big bait kits. 30-65lb J-Braid to 25-30 Floruo clear or Big game. Connected with 12-24 turn Albright knot.
WRB

Post by WRB »

No reason to use braid on swimbaits unless the reel doesn't hold enough line. You have 2 knots to fail using marginal knot strength with FC line. My recommendation is to use 25 lb Sunline Armillo Diefer Nylon, good knot strength and 1 knot.
Tom
supermat

Post by supermat »

I use braid to leader for 100% of my big bait fishing. Personally, I think you'd be crazy not to. I use mono as leader more than fluoro but both are very effective. I make the connection with a 9 loop each side blood knot and have strength tested it on a breaking machine a few times. Every test it broke after the palomars tied to each end. As for length, I run 8-20' leaders depending on application. I've done this for years, as have my clients, and have literally never cast a bait off or had one cast off by a less experienced angler.

If you search tacticalbassin on youtube in conjunction with "braided line" we've done videos on the knots, line sizes, leader lengths for various applications, etc... its all laid out. Hope that helps!
http://www.bassinguide.com
http://www.tacticalbassin.com