advice

jetlag

advice

Post by jetlag »

Guy"s
I am new to this forum and new to bass fishing. I have two boys(16 and 13). They have both fished all their lives. They are very much into the bass fishing lately. Mostly ponds and private waters. Can't keep them away from Major league Fishing TV. They both want to start tournament fishing. I have gotten them a used bass boat. What is the general feeling on starting the boys out in tournaments? Should they join a club or just fish for a while before they enter? Any opinions would be very appreciated. Is there any tournaments that are for more novice anglers?
Thanks,
Bob
mrobinett

Re: advice

Post by mrobinett »

Definitely start out with the clubs. There's a lot to learn on there own. If they try tournies on their own, they might get discouraged. By joining a club, they can learn different techniques and styles. Good for you for doing this.
scott39

Post by scott39 »

Christian Bass League. They do the Delta, Pedro, Mclure, Melones and Tuloch. Check them out on Facebook
Dobyns Rods
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Do them a big favor and discuss the costs of tournament fishing with them as they progress, so they don't go down that slippery slope uninformed.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Cooch

Lots of Options

Post by Cooch »

Bob.

You have a lot of options for the boys. I think the best way is to ease them into the competitive fishing, rather than just toss em into the arena. Have them first check with their high school, or other local schools, many schools now have a fishing curriculum or school club. Some are only open to that school's students, others are open to the general community of kids. Hiring a guide is another option. This will get them on a fast track to understand what they really need to do, both in being able to locate and catch fish, learn new techniques, and the right guide, will also explain to them all the ins and outs they'll need to prepare for in their journey that comes with fishing competitively. The last option is get em out to the Pro-Teen pages here on Westernbass.COM, the COPT pages can be found under the INTERACTIVE tab on the top right above the Forum. This is the perfect event to get your two young men exposed to what lies ahead. If you have any questions on these options, feel free to e-mail me at FlipBigUns@Yahoo.COM and I will be more than willing to set up a call and discuss them with you in detail.
WB Staff

Post by WB Staff »

clearlakeoutdoors

Post by clearlakeoutdoors »

High school team fishing is growing, if their school doesnt have a team start one.
High school tournament 11/6 at Clearlake out of Redbud
WB Staff

Post by WB Staff »

Schedule for B.A.S.S. high school and college fishing.

http://www.westernbass.com/article/bass ... -schedules
WB Staff

Post by WB Staff »

This was sent in from Randy Pringle - the BBT www.bestbasstournaments.com organization

"Most tournaments have the same insurance company I do and they stipulate that teens have to fish with an adult 18 years old and need to know how to operate a boat"
jetlag

Post by jetlag »

Thank you to all who responded. A lot of great info to think about. I really appreciate the feedback.
thanks,
Jetlag