Drying out a bass boat

ElGuapo

Drying out a bass boat

Post by ElGuapo »

It's gonna rain this weekend but I want to go fishing. Does anyone have any good ideas about how to dry out the boat while it's stored?

My boat is stored away from home so leaving a fan in the boat is not an option, nor is leaving it uncovered.

Any other options? Anyone tried this?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/DampRid-64-o ... /100391308
TRIXGOTAFISH

Re: Drying out a bass boat

Post by TRIXGOTAFISH »

Good question i'm interested to know as well not that i have a boat yet nor fish in rainy weather but useful info for the future....
kraetzer

Post by kraetzer »

This would be an option to put under the cover
http://www.drizair.com
kraetzer

"I am ready to face any challenge that might be foolish enough to face me" - Dwight K. Schrute
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

I used to keep my boat covered on my driveway, and the only way I was able to dry it after it got wet in the rain was to put a box fan under the cover, and propping the cover up so it slope like a tent. Then I put something under the bow end of the cover, so air could pass through from the back to the front, and out. Otherwise, it just pushed the wet air forward, where it condensed on the underside of the cover and rained back down onto the carpet.
My neighbors thought there was something wrong with my boat when they heard the fan running all day and night.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
ElGuapo

Post by ElGuapo »

Kraetzer - yes, similar to Damprid. But just wondering if anyone's doing this.

Mark - thanks but my boat's stored away from home so can't leave a fan running for a week.
Whoopbass

Post by Whoopbass »

The only option I see is you will have to drag your boat home within 24hrs of storing it wet and then get to cleaning/drying/airing it out.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

ElGuapo wrote:Kraetzer - yes, similar to Damprid. But just wondering if anyone's doing this.

Mark - thanks but my boat's stored away from home so can't leave a fan running for a week.
Maybe look into an inline timer, so you can run it for a day or two at a time.
CLEAN AND DRY
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

While those products will absorb moisture, they will not DRY the boat. You need to have moving air to do that. Warm air works best, but you don't have that option. What you can do is to purchase one of those and also a 12v fan. You can run it off of your battery or get a cheap one at Walmart and us it. Prop your cover up and open your compartments if they are wet too. Using a few towels and getting as much soaked up will help a lot. Or if you have a wet vac, use it to remove as much as you can before storing it. I'd still get some of one of those to help avoid mildew tho.
2007 "Numb Nut"

Ranger Boats-Mercury Motors
Minnkota Ultrex -TRP Batterys
Raymarine - Troll Bridge
Gloomis - Shimano
Pepper Jigs - Robo Worms
ElGuapo

Post by ElGuapo »

Mitch wrote:While those products will absorb moisture, they will not DRY the boat. You need to have moving air to do that. Warm air works best, but you don't have that option. What you can do is to purchase one of those and also a 12v fan. You can run it off of your battery or get a cheap one at Walmart and us it. Prop your cover up and open your compartments if they are wet too. Using a few towels and getting as much soaked up will help a lot. Or if you have a wet vac, use it to remove as much as you can before storing it. I'd still get some of one of those to help avoid mildew tho.
Thanks Mitch thats what i was looking for.
ACRon

Post by ACRon »

You say a fan is not an option. I assume that is because you don't have electricity? You can get battery operated RV/Camping fans. Stick it in the boat with some D-Cells in it. It will run on low for probably 24 hours. Then shut off with dead batteries. Next trip throw in some more D-Cells.
ElGuapo

Post by ElGuapo »

Actually I do have electricity. But boat is stored at a marina and I was thinking the owners wouldn't want the fan on until I could return.

But based on all the feedback I've formulated the following strategy:

Get a fan (West Marine?)
Get a pig tail splitter so I can keep the batteries charged
Get a timer so the marina owner doesn't yell at me.

Any recommendations for boat fans?

Is 24 hours on enough?
ACRon

Post by ACRon »

At my indoor storage they plug in my boat for charging. I use a 24 hr mechanical timer and it runs a few hours each day to provide maintenance charge and keep down the costs. Don't use an electronic timer it will reset if power is interrupted.
ElGuapo

Post by ElGuapo »

Old school. Got it. Thanks!
zdbm2004

Post by zdbm2004 »

I got a fan from Costco that works for me. It is a tower fan that stands 2' tall that has a thermostat. I set it for 60* and I've monitored it and it does not run constant. Also I have vents on my cover so might want to open a corner to let air circulate out. Good luck
zmyers
JoeLanghans

Post by JoeLanghans »

Ask the place where you store it and see what they recommend or what other guys who have their boat stored there do. You are not the only bass boat being stored wet, no sarcasm intended. Call Russos storage and ask them what they would recommend. I store mine inside where it's 60 and above, opening up every compartment and leaving everything open for days. A fan won't work if it's blowing cold air. Stay dry!
ElGuapo

Post by ElGuapo »

That's a great idea Joe thanks.

I'll call Chuck right away.
basshol

Post by basshol »

The best way to dry it out if it's out of the water is to pull the drain plug
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

basshol wrote:The best way to dry it out if it's out of the water is to pull the drain plug
Raising the bow and pulling the drain plug, so water in the hull can drain, will get the water out of the hull space below decks, but only moving air will dry out the carpet before it begins to cause mildew under the cover.
CLEAN AND DRY