Single or Tandem axle trailer for 19' boat

Louie

Single or Tandem axle trailer for 19' boat

Post by Louie »

Looking at upgrading to a 519 Ranger. My current boat has a single axle trailer. What do you guys recommend for a 19' boat with a 225 on it? Should I upgrade to tandem axle? Thanks.
JoeLanghans

Re: Single or Tandem axle trailer for 19' boat

Post by JoeLanghans »

Not sure if you'd want to spend the extra money. In order to get a 519 with a tandem axle you'd need get a 519 Camanche or custom order a non Camanche but upgrade to a tandem axle. The Camanche package adds a few luxury items but nothing that contributes to catching fish, $3000 or $4000 package I think. Most dealers order single axle 519s. I have a single axle 2016 Ranger 519, I love my setup... I've hauled it to and from Southern California to Northern California a few times and was fine. Ranger is the only manufacturer that offers a single axle 19' boat, all others are tandem, but Ranger has the highest quality. I recommend reaching out to Rick and Kyle Grover down at Anglers Marine. They have the most competitive pricing, giant selection and they are great people!
Rod Martin

Post by Rod Martin »

I used to have a 20' boat with a 250xb hung on a 10" jack of the back. No problems ever.
Also made it a lot easier moving around when not hooked up.
TR177 Ranger/ Mercury/Lowrance/ Ghost TM
Jeff C.

Post by Jeff C. »

I definitely don't think you need a tandem axle for that size boat. Might tow a little better but harder to move around and also more costly in upkeep (i.e. tires and bearings). Kind of a wash in the end.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

It depends on how much long distance towing you do. Having a second set of tires and wheels, in case of a bearing failure or flat tire, is priceless when you're far from home on the road.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

Louie,

I should know this but don't without checking. BUT, Ranger used to make a Heavy Duty Single axle trailer that we even put 20 footers on in the past. It's a GREAT trailer. It sits a little higher and come with bigger tires. Still a lot cheaper than a tandem, you can turn easy in garage, and it's truly HVY Duty!!
Louie

Post by Louie »

Most of the traveling will be from the delta area to Clear Lake and Shasta Lake. My current single axle on my 18' Ranger has been great. Just wondering if I want or need the extra axle for the larger boat. I guess it would be for piece of mind while on the road.
Bryan K

Post by Bryan K »

I have a 19' Ranger with a single axle trailer which Ive had for 10yrs and one of the few things I would change is to go to a tandem axle trailer. IMO a 19' boat is right at the limit of a single axle setup and with that amount of weight you are pushing the tires, bearings, and the torsion axle suspension very hard. Im towing at least 8000 mi per year mostly to tournaments and do not like being on the road and having any problems or delays. Carrying spare hubs and upgrading tires from load range 'C' to load range 'D' is a must for me

Its definitely a personal preference decision and as stated above a big factor is how much travel you are doing. Anyway, some good advice in this thread and hope it helps
Charles

Post by Charles »

I towed my 05 519vx all over on a single axle and never had a problem. The double axle will just double your maintenance costs imho.