New world record spot

mark poulson

New world record spot

Post by mark poulson »

Did Cody Meyer just catch a new world record spot?
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Burke

Re: New world record spot

Post by Burke »

I found this article on Fishhound that was posted yesterday.

"Initial reports are saying that Cody Meyer has officially weighed a 10.80 new world record spotted bass out of Bullards Bar Reservoir in Northern California. This would eclipse the previous world record of 10.38 set last year by Tim Little. Though unconfirmed at this point, it is believed that California Fish and Game weighed and verified the catch. This massive spotted bass was part of a 5 fish limit that weighed in excess of 42 pounds that Meyer and his close friend JR Wright weighed. More details will be coming out soon!"

He caught it using 6lb Seaguar Flourocarbon Tatsu line.
Stratos278

Post by Stratos278 »

Burke wrote:I found this article on Fishhound that was posted yesterday.

"Initial reports are saying that Cody Meyer has officially weighed a 10.80 new world record spotted bass out of Bullards Bar Reservoir in Northern California. This would eclipse the previous world record of 10.38 set last year by Tim Little. Though unconfirmed at this point, it is believed that California Fish and Game weighed and verified the catch. This massive spotted bass was part of a 5 fish limit that weighed in excess of 42 pounds that Meyer and his close friend JR Wright weighed. More details will be coming out soon!"

He caught it using 6lb Seaguar Flourocarbon Tatsu line.
There is/was a rumor running around on Facebook that it was caught at Camp Far West Lake...clarification, anyone?

EDIT: just listened to Ultimate Bass Radio's interview with Cody, it was caught at Bullards...just goes to show, you can't always believe everything you read...
Last edited by Stratos278 on Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim C.
"Rip Some Lips!!!!"
Bill Roberts

Post by Bill Roberts »

I found this picture online.
Attachments
IMG_2733.JPG
Sponsors:
Skeeter Boats, Yamaha Outboards, Nixon's Marine, Yakima Bait Co.
Abu Garcia
tbass858

Post by tbass858 »

It's lake X for sure
WRB

Post by WRB »

Congratulations Cody, beautiful fish and looks like everything was done right.
3 record Spots from Bullards in 2 years, amazing.
Tom
WB Staff

Post by WB Staff »

Cody sent these pix with consent to post.
IMG_4251.JPG.jpeg
IMG_1360.JPG

Cody's post on social media:
Here are a few more photos of the 10.80 spotted bass. These photos were taken by current IGFA World Record Holder Tim Little.
Fish like these on light line took every bit of technology I had in the boat. I was using one of my prototype Daiwa Corporation - USA Tatula rods which is a signature series coming out soon, and a Daiwa Exist reel, 6-lb Seaguar Fluorocarbon Tatsu line, a Strike King Lure Company Ocho stick bait. I spotted it suspended over 100-feet of water using Garmin Panoptix. Being able to see them out in front of us before we moved over them made it possible. In total, we totaled our best 5 went for over 40 pounds.
Feel free to share this post, but please do not copy the photos and repost. Thank you!
Bill Roberts

Post by Bill Roberts »

Sorry guys! Didn't know about the repost thing.
Good job, Cody.
Sponsors:
Skeeter Boats, Yamaha Outboards, Nixon's Marine, Yakima Bait Co.
Abu Garcia
WB Staff

Post by WB Staff »

WOW!!! Amazing catch!

Cody shared the whole story: http://www.westernbass.com/article/whol ... ecord-spot
Ben520

Post by Ben520 »

:)
Last edited by Ben520 on Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
biteme

Post by biteme »

Would love to know why the real record is being over looked from early this year. You know the 11lber that was certified by fish and game?
Larry Hemphill

Here is the answer as I understand it.

Post by Larry Hemphill »

I believe the 11 lb 3.2 oz spot from Bullards, caught this last winter, was only submitted for the state record. So, the state (Calif) record spot is actually a bigger fish than the world record - as of this moment!!! The world record is the one near 11 lbs. Kinda weird, but that is the problem with getting record fish documented in out-of-the-way places.
WB Staff

Post by WB Staff »

@biteme

As of this posting, these are the catches that are showing as record holders.

The mention of these records (and links to both of these records) are in the Cody Meyer article, because that is what the official records are still listed as.

IFGA Tim LIttle - http://wrec.igfa.org/WRecordsList.aspx? ... %20spotted

CDFW Louis Ferrante - https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/fishing/records
biteme

Post by biteme »

So this is a paperwork issue? I know he has a cert for the fish
https://www.google.com/amp/www.outdoorh ... tmobile-us

Shoot even this site ran the same "world record" when he caught it. He was also in Kent's radio show.
biteme

Re: Here is the answer as I understand it.

Post by biteme »

Larry Hemphill wrote:I believe the 11 lb 3.2 oz spot from Bullards, caught this last winter, was only submitted for the state record. So, the state (Calif) record spot is actually a bigger fish than the world record - as of this moment!!! The world record is the one near 11 lbs. Kinda weird, but that is the problem with getting record fish documented in out-of-the-way places.
I know with Wes DFG drive 4 hrs to certify it.
Again here's the link
https://www.google.com/amp/www.outdoorh ... tmobile-us
WB Staff

Post by WB Staff »

@bite me

Yes, it seems there are a few fish in question with record certification at this point. That will all be up to each agency's certification process.

At this point those are the two official record holders listed, but any spotted bass caught in that class range, regardless of whether or not it is in contention for a certification and regardless if it is certified or not is a truly an awesome catch.
Andy Lippert

Post by Andy Lippert »

WB Staff wrote:@bite me

Yes, it seems there are a few fish in question with record certification at this point. That will all be up to each agency's certification process.

At this point those are the two official record holders listed, but any spotted bass caught in that class range, regardless of whether or not it is in contention for a certification and regardless if it is certified or not is a truly an awesome catch.
Nobody is saying it isn't an awesome catch. But a record is a record, and calling this fish on numerous publications the "Pending World Record" discredits Wes and his BIGGER fish that is currently 'pending' as well.
Mike

Post by Mike »

it IS a "Pending" World Record. As is Wes's fish...
I think Cody is aware that his will not be the new WR. He is just using it as a promotional tool and getting a ton of exposure with it. I don't see a problem with that.
OG on WB since 1993
DanIsaac

Post by DanIsaac »

Actually Cody asked that the photos others took not be posted and his wishes were not honored
and pics were posted on social media without his knowledge.

Once all of that occurred he decided it was no use attempting to keep it quiet while things shook out, and began tak8ng and returning calls.

As far as giving props to those who support him,
what's a guy supposed to do, and Cody is the last person that would ever disrespect anyone else's accomplishments.

This sport could certainly use more Cody Meyers without a doubt. Furthermore, Tim Liilttle drove to the lake on his day off to help a friend out. How is that an issue, they've known each other since grade school?

Time will shake everything out for everyone. Let's let it takes its course.
ReelEx, your source for quality, professional service on your Shimano, Lews, or Revo reels.

Guaranteed 96 hr turnaround on service.
650-454-4938 http://www.reel-ex.com
birdman920

Post by birdman920 »

I wonder how big the crowds are " at "Lake X" ,after all this hype ?.....
Colebass

Post by Colebass »

It's a great catch from a stand up guy! WR or not, I wish I would have caught it.

Haters are gonna hate!
Dave Cole
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Mike wrote:it IS a "Pending" World Record. As is Wes's fish...
I think Cody is aware that his will not be the new WR. He is just using it as a promotional tool and getting a ton of exposure with it. I don't see a problem with that.
There's nothing wrong with both anglers getting acknowledgement and props for their fish.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY