Top Water Bass action is still alive!

J Madrigal

Top Water Bass action is still alive!

Post by J Madrigal »

Witnessed my brother Joe hook this lil fatty along the bank which was a big surprise. This girl must of been hungry? We spent only 25 mins of free time when she surfaced to eat. / Delta - Disappointment Slough
IMG_3115 3.jpg
Larry Hemphill

Topwater - yea, right!

Post by Larry Hemphill »

Kinda amazing isn't it!! Most have put their topwater in storage by now. Back in the early 70's, I rented a boat at Spanish Flat (Berryessa) on December 28th, early in the morning. There was still a lot of shoreline cover in those days - bushes and other cover. Ice was forming on my guides when reeling in. I knew we didn't throw topwater in cold water and cold weather, but I kept hearing what I thought was bass activity around the bushes. I did have a black Hula Popper in my tacklebox - tied it on - and made a few casts. Yes, thinking I was CRAZY. BIG explosion!! I was so stunned I almost didn't set the hook. I soon netted a 4 1/4 pound largemouth!! Then a 2 1/2 lb largemouth, and missed a third blowup. Then it was over and I fished another 6 or 7 hours without a bite. True story! Were the bass stupid in those days? Maybe!! Was there less fishing pressure in those days? Absolutely!!!
mark poulson

Re: Top Water Bass action is still alive!

Post by mark poulson »

Doesn't Dee Thomas say that shallow fish are eaters, meaning they are there to eat. So a shallow top water makes sense anytime fish are shallow and active.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
DDG

Post by DDG »

I caught two five pounders punching a few weekends ago and i almost thought about throwing a frog, IF I HAD ONE :( the fish i caught were in less than 5 feet of water.
cking

Post by cking »

Mark I have personally fished a popper with the man in Dec. Not a lot of bites, but the fish that do eat are good ones!
ILW

Post by ILW »

Nice one! Wondering what the water temp is now since the temp drop any body been out in the last few days?
JoeLanghans

Post by JoeLanghans »

ILW wrote:Nice one! Wondering what the water temp is now since the temp drop any body been out in the last few days?
Was out today, 52
ILW

Post by ILW »

Thanks Joel!
fishwithron

Post by fishwithron »

was out fri temp 48-51
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

I went out of Russo's today for three hours. 44 at launch (10:30), and muddy. Got up to 48 in places, but all of Franks and Little Franks are muddy and cold. 6" visibility.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY