Little Lake Skinner

rickyshabazz

Little Lake Skinner

Post by rickyshabazz »

Every Winter I am reminded of how blessed I am to live in Southern Cal where you can hit a lake and catch fish in shallow water. I spent the day Sonarlogging the lake to update the map. Today was a good day and now the map for Lake Skinner will have better contours. Working on an article and video coming shortly. Below are some shots of me using my Navionics app on my iPad hooked up to my Lowrance HDS via wifi to do Sonarlogging of the lake. I use the app because the map is always live and updated. We smeared them.

Those who wanted the lake please do not be mad at me this is about sharing information so that everyone can enjoy the outdoors.

The Wanabepro
ROBERTR

Re: Little Lake Skinner

Post by ROBERTR »

nice work and thank you. any chance this can be done for puddingstone in san dimas?
rickyshabazz

Post by rickyshabazz »

It can be done and it is a very easy process if you have a Navionics app on your phone and a Gen 3 Lowrance. If enough people want it I will go there. There were a lot of people asking for Skinner and San V
The Wanabepro
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Dr. Ricky,
How fast were you able to go and still record?
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
rickyshabazz

Post by rickyshabazz »

Hey Mark. No need to call me Dr. I'm just Ricky. I can record as long as the transducer reads the bottom. I would say up to about 50 mph but the slower the better. The recording is actual connecting to the Lowrance wifi via the Navionics app on my iPad and phone app.
The Wanabepro
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

rickyshabazz wrote:Hey Mark. No need to call me Dr. I'm just Ricky. I can record as long as the transducer reads the bottom. I would say up to about 50 mph but the slower the better. The recording is actual connecting to the Lowrance wifi via the Navionics app on my iPad and phone app.
It is amazing to me how far this technology has come is such a short time!
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
contium

Post by contium »

ROBERTR wrote:nice work and thank you. any chance this can be done for puddingstone in san dimas?
What's wrong with the charts for Puddingstone? I have thoroughly mapped Puddingstone at 1' countors and have made them available on Navioncs Sonar Charts and Insight Genesis. I'm happy to see other people making maps. All the mapping cards are terrible for us west coast fisherman to the point of being dangerous at time. Social mapping is how we are going to fix this. One thing I keep running into with social maps is to please compensate for the lake level. Practically every lake I go to the social maps have serious issues because lake level isn't corrected for. With so many lakes 40+ feet down do to our drought, this is a serious problem. It can be tricky to get the correct water level. I know Skinner doesn't provide this info. Many lakes do provide daily surface elevation. I have contacted Navionics and Insight Genesis and have had the remove bad logs. Previously uploaded bad logs will cause future good logs to be rejected because they differ so much from the existing (incorrect) data.

contium

Post by contium »

rickyshabazz, have you uploaded you logs to Navionics? I have mapped Skinner in the past and even though they say my logs were accepted, I see little change on the Sonar Charts map. Their map is just terrible. I had the same problem with Puddingstone and I had to contact Navionics to fix it. After a year of mapping, this is what Navionics Sonar Chart looked like:

After taking the issue up with Navionics, they corrected it to this:

A lot better but they still kind of smooth things out and I don't want to have to contact them with every log I make. I've been concentrating with Insight Genesis which also includes bottom hardness and vegetation. And the uploads only take hours for them to process as opposed to 2 to 4 weeks for Navionics. I still contribute to Navionics but I don't every load them on my graphs.
ROBERTR

Post by ROBERTR »

My apologies on puddingstone, I just updated my iPad / iPhone and it's very well put together thank you. I'm somewhat new to this but which navionics card would have this chart. Or can they be updated?
contium

Post by contium »

ROBERTR wrote:My apologies on puddingstone, I just updated my iPad / iPhone and it's very well put together thank you. I'm somewhat new to this but which navionics card would have this chart. Or can they be updated?
I'm using Navionics+. But I think most of the newer cards support Sonar Charts which are the social charts. And you can update many older cards to Navioncs+. You have to pay a yearly subscription to be able to update the maps. They claim 1000s of updates a day. If you don't, your maps will be locked at the last update before your subscription expired. If your running Lowrance electronics, you have to select "Fish n' Chips" to view the Sonar Charts. Confusing I know. If your running Lowrance, Insight Genesis is free and better IMO. Gen 3 HDS's will be getting an update to run Sonar Charts Live like the OP of this thread was running on a iPad on the HDS itself for real time mapping.