Cal Delta Sealions

Hookset5

Cal Delta Sealions

Post by Hookset5 »

Hello,

Ive been bass fishing in the delta for about 9 years. Ive been seeing more and more lately, as far east as whiskey slu and up river as tracy oasis.
What are we going to do about this? Is there a movement we can get involved with to send a message to fish and game or state officials? At the rate ive see these seals infiltrate the river system, there will be no large fish to put a hook into on the delta. They dont belong there and should be relocated or put down. what are our choices?
mark poulson

Re: Cal Delta Sealions

Post by mark poulson »

Here's what I found online:

The U.S. Marine Mammal Protection Act (MMPA) protects all marine mammals, including cetaceans (whales, dolphins, and porpoises), pinnipeds (seals and sea lions), sirenians (manatees and dugongs), sea otters, and polar bears within the waters of the United States.

The Act makes it illegal to "take" marine mammals without a permit. This means people may not harass, feed, hunt, capture, collect, or kill any marine mammal or part of a marine mammal. The Act also formalized the marine mammal health and stranding response program to improve the response of stranding and unusual mortality events. The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration web site gives the complete text of the Act.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
bayscotter

Post by bayscotter »

It's just another drawback of pumping water south to the desert to grow nuts for Asian countries to eat.
Charles

Post by Charles »

The sea lions are here to stay. They reside year round in downtown Sacramento. The numbers increase as they follow each fish migration up the river.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Charles wrote:The sea lions are here to stay. They reside year round in downtown Sacramento. The numbers increase as they follow each fish migration up the river.
It makes perfect sense. No sharks, no killer whales, lots of food. They are no dummies.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
SObassman

Post by SObassman »

This same problem with sea lions is happening on the Columbia River at the Bonneville Dam. There is lots of media coverage about this because of the fact they are eating endangered salmon. At one time these animals were considered threatened or endangered ,which is why they cannot be harmed in any way. They do have protocols that allow them to be trapped, marked/tagged and relocated, and if they return a number of times other actions are taken. I am sure that most rivers on the west coast that have salmon have this problem. On the Rogue river at Gold beach I have seen them take a hooked salmon of an anglers line.
DDG

Post by DDG »

more proof that hunting is good to keep certain animals population in control.
scott39

Post by scott39 »

DDG wrote:more proof that hunting is good to keep certain animals population in control.
Damn straight when does human season start
Dobyns Rods
DDG

Post by DDG »

scott39 wrote:
DDG wrote:more proof that hunting is good to keep certain animals population in control.
Damn straight when does human season start
Well if they are willing to exterminate other game fish just to enhance the Salmon population, why not? hah I'm all for letting nature take its course.
SObassman

Post by SObassman »

The answers to some questions from this older topic can be found in a featured article on the WB home page about what can be done to control sealions that prey on salmon.
Cooch

Post by Cooch »

Unfortunately HS5, they are part of the SF Bay/Delta ecosystem now, there's not much we, as anglers can do. We can be thankful though, that they are not as dangerous as predators in other systems like sharks, gators or water moccasins!
Lugnut

Post by Lugnut »

There was one in the Stockton turning basin on Saturday. I saw a group of birds, thought I was going to get on some stripers, then noticed they were only going crazy because the sea lion was shredding and tossing fish. We headed about 1/2 mile past it, next thing we know it's popping up a few feet from the boat.
Don't ask about my username, all I need to say is check yours and check them often.

HomeBrew Tackle Co.
WB Staff

Post by WB Staff »

The article that SOBassman mentioned

http://www.westernbass.com/article/salm ... on-removal
phatbass

Post by phatbass »

Careful with these sea lions! I have a friend that had one jump on his boat a few years back and tried to bite him. No lie!
AnglersPursuit

Post by AnglersPursuit »

Huge female in Franks this year outside of Russos. Looked right at home swimming between the reeds in 4ft of water. She was twice the size of all the others I have seen in there. I can ignore the pups, something like this swirling in the grass rods distance from the kayak ups the pucker!