Lowrance total scan transducer?

Moderator: Ken Sauret

RangerDude

Lowrance total scan transducer?

Post by RangerDude »

Just switched out from HDS gen 1 on my console to a gen 3. I'm confused on the transducer I know the gen 3 has built in structure and down scan so I don't need the lss 1. But the lss1 transducer is not compatible I think. I've heard from a few folks about the total scan transducer which takes care of it all (chirp down structure). Anyone have experience with this transducer? Is it plug and play or do I need to get another module like the 3D SS? Thanks for the response
Edd

Re: Lowrance total scan transducer?

Post by Edd »

I have been using the TotalScan since it was released with very good results. You will be happy with that choice.
No module needed just plug it in to the back of the Gen3 and select it from the list in the installation menu.

Edd
RangerDude

Post by RangerDude »

Looking at the totalscan transducers for my HDS gen 3 and can find on that says they are compatible in the description. They all say compatible with the elite series but no mention of the HDS. Are they the same part or is there a special totalscan that I'm just not finding, if so can someone give me a link or a part number to the correct transducer.
wallyandre

Post by wallyandre »

You got all the infos here for the Totalscan:

https://www.lowrance.com/Root/Installat ... -001_w.pdf
Edd

Post by Edd »

TotalScan does work with Gen3 but not with Gen2.
Edd

Post by Edd »

I have a slightly used TotalScan transducer, if anyone is interested.
NoCAL

Post by NoCAL »

Just keep in mind, the TS will have to be mounted low on the transom to get depth readings while on plane and could be subject to damage from debris. Personally, I just kept my LSS 1 and use in in-hull 2D transducer for depth. Can get readings up to over 60 mph. The TS would be great for the bow but for the transom, I personally prefer having an LSS plus 2D. The TS is compatible with Ti units and HDS Gen 3 units.

Also, here is the correct terminology. The module is called StructureScan, StructureScan HD or StructureScan 3D. You don't NEED it with Gen 2 Touch and above but it can still be used. The transducers are called LSS1, 2, or 3D. The 1 and 2 can be plugged directly into the back of a Gen 2T or Gen 3T. The LSS 1 will not have the High Definition of the LSS 2 but it would still work when connected directly. The LSS2 is the "correct" sidescan transducer for Gen 2 units and plugs directly into a Gen2T. 3D requires a module and only provides 3D to a Gen 3 although it will provide upgraded sidescanning to Gen 2T.

NoCAL
Edd

Post by Edd »

NoCAL wrote:Just keep in mind, the TS will have to be mounted low on the transom to get depth readings while on plane and could be subject to damage from debris. Can get readings up to over 60 mph.
NoCAL
Just to be clear on this.....TS xdcr only needs to be about .50" lower at the transom than any other transom mounted xdcr. Damage may occur..well maybe but, there are Bass guys and others out there running $1200 Airmar transom mounted xdcr's, so I think a real threat of damage is not that great.
Readings over 60 mph.....of the bottom yes, but that's about it. If the TotalScan is mounted correctly, you will be able to track bottom at speed. However, not ALL boats, especially bass boats, are able to successfully run transom mounted transducers, long (TS) or short. Also keep in mind there may be trailer bunk modifications required IF you choose the TS.
Trukate15

Post by Trukate15 »

Edd wrote:I have a slightly used TotalScan transducer, if anyone is interested.
What are you asking for it?
Edd

Post by Edd »

$175 shipped
CaleKee

Post by CaleKee »

Hi...I have the TotalScan mounted on a block of HDPE mainly because i didn't want to drill into my hull and because I wanted the extra offset from the hull. The HDPE is adhered with an adhesive and it hasn't come loose yet in over 6 months. If the forces generated from weight or wave action were strong enough to crack the hull I'm sure it would have broken the adhesive bond I have on the HDPE block by now. The TotalScan also comes with a new plastic mounting bracket. I have the old metal one which hasn't given me any problems.

http://percentagescalculator.com/