Gear Ratio reel for 6-8" Hudds

RJB

Gear Ratio reel for 6-8" Hudds

Post by RJB »

I'm just getting into swimbait fishing and wanted some input on what gear ratio reels, most of you guys use when throwing bigger swimbaits that you want to keep right on the bottom? Any input would be great! Thanks
Gary Dobyns

Re: Gear Ratio reel for 6-8" Hudds

Post by Gary Dobyns »

I like to use a 5.1 or so gear ratio. It simply helps me fish the bait slower without having to concentrate to slow down!! I like fishing fast but with certain baits it's counter productive. Huds are one of these baits. Worst case, I wouldn't want to fish over a 6.1-6.3 gear ratio for Huds.
RJB

Post by RJB »

Appreciate the reply Gary. Thanks!!!
cib11b

Post by cib11b »

I use a Abu Garcia Orra Winch, Tackle warehouse has them on sale right nor for a killer price. Great reel for less than $100!
Ohh son!! That's a 4, 5 ,7 8, 12 punder son!!

2016 Ranger Z175 Lime Green Fusion!
bassdaddy

Post by bassdaddy »

I'm going to emphasize what Gary has already stated. My fatal flaw when it comes to fishing Huds is poor pacing. Most of the time, fishing a Hud too fast for the conditions and water temp completely nullifies its effectiveness. For me there is no question that fishing a 5:1 reel helps me slow down and put more fish in the boat. I should be able to make the adjustment on my own but I'm just not wired up to do it, so the slower reel is a solid tool that helps me.
GreenPig

Post by GreenPig »

I fish hudds with 4.9 to 6.2 depending on the season. 4.9 is nice for bottom bumping December thru February.
VCSwimmers

Post by VCSwimmers »

as fast as i can get lol . i can slowdown for retrieval but when a big one grabs it and keeps coming toward me or when one hits when im ripping it in 50+ ft of water i want as fast as a retrieve as possible . lost big fish , tournaments and aoy's because of it . doesn't happen alot but enough for me lol