Berkley Nanofil - Real or Hype??

shimanoangler

Berkley Nanofil - Real or Hype??

Post by shimanoangler »

I fish spinning reels exclusively and am always on the lookout for low memory line to minimize twisting and backlash situations. Berkley has a ton of claims with its new Nanofil line and I am wondering if anyone has tried it and if so, what their take/feedback is after having used it??
jg

Re: Berkley Nanofil - Real or Hype??

Post by jg »

Use it on all my spinning reels with no issues.
Jim V.

Post by Jim V. »

It casts great. Biggest issue I have is it seems to fray. Tiny hairs on it especially after coming through brush/rocks.
Randy Walker

Post by Randy Walker »

I have been using the Nanofil for years now and love it. As stated, it does tend to fray a little with the little hairs, but I have used it on one of my spools for over 2 years now with frays and have not had 1 single break off. When brand new it has some memory so I would recommend casing something with some weight too it for a while to help get some of the packaged coil memory out. If fishing a cold day and brand new, it will be worse. That being said... keep it tight and cast a heavier lure for a while and you should be totally fine.
I use 12lb and then tie off an 8-9 ft Fluorocarbon leader in desired test... make sure the line to line knot ends up between your reel and 1st guide and your good.
I use the while and have not had an issue with getting bites, but again I have the long leader.

The only other thing that I noticed about the Nanofil compared too say full spool of Fluoro is on small lures it seems to take just a little longer to get to the bottom when fishing deep. The Nano sits on top of the water more so it could potentially change the angle of working your lure.. not 100% sure about that part.. just a thought.

Overall, I love this stuff and have it on all my spinning reels and will continue to use the product.

It's worth buying 1 spool and trying it out.. once you get it broke in I think you will be pretty pleased with all of its attributes.

Randy
~ Thanks for the support ~
Walkers Brittanys
RBBASS
www.optimabatteries.com
www.outdoorproshops.com
www.lock-n-haul.com/
www.purefishing.com
Berkley Fishing
Abu Garcia
imalures.com
optimumbaits.com
The Rod Glove http://vrxfishing.com/
shimanoangler

Post by shimanoangler »

Thanks for the feedback. I have been fishing Trilene XL without really any issues, but I saw an ad for nanofil and the two things that jumped out at me were casting and zero memory, with zero memory being the biggest attraction being a spinning reel fisherman. In the end, I guess the old adage, if it aint broke, don't fix it, applies. I haven't had any problem with the Trilene, and it I don't have to worry about it fraying, breaking off or being tough to tie knots with, so I guess I will just stick with plain ole boring mono... Thanks again folks, I really appreciate the feedback and the insight based on your experiences with the product.
Jim V.

Post by Jim V. »

Whether it's Nanofil or some other braid product, once you try it with a floro leader, I think you'll wonder why you waited. Virtually no twist when drop shotting and sensitivity increases 5 fold. You just have to learn to tie a braid to floro knot.
Chad Sweitzer

Post by Chad Sweitzer »

+1 On braid to Flouro. I fished exclusively XL on my spinning rods until I switched to 15 PowerPro and 8-10 Flouro. There is an unbelievable increase in sensitivity, and you can fish as deep as you have the patience for. I've pulled suspended fish out of 140 feet (they were about 80' deep) and felt no loss of sensitivity.
PB: Spot-9.625 (Shasta Record) LMB-13.27 SM-4.36
shimanoangler

Post by shimanoangler »

Here is what I think I have learned from reading the responses to my post. I think that having just one type of line for all fishing conditions and situations is not feasible and its impractical. Where I live in the northeast, we have a lot of crystal clear lakes where you could be fishing at just about any depth, ie 3-5 foot of water or 20 to 30 foot of water. I fish predominantly smallmouth bass, so the various types of fishing methods used perform better with different types of fishing lines. It sounds like each line has its pros and cons, hence the reason there are so many of them. I like this format of collecting feedback, as it is based on experience not advertising dollars. I appreciate the feedback and I find it very informative, so please feel free to keep the comments rolling in.