Prop tuning shop for Yamaha

Kentuck

Prop tuning shop for Yamaha

Post by Kentuck »

Tore a prop up and had to put a new one on. Same model and pitch.
Took the boat out and it loses grip just as it comes on pad. I believe this is called cavitation. Also, I used to run around at 4900 rpms, but if I do that now it sounds like the motor is going to blow up from runs too high.
I've been told I need to have the prop "tuned". Any recommendations on a shop in near the Concord area?
hydro

Re: Prop tuning shop for Yamaha

Post by hydro »

Some props use a rubber shock hub to prevent damage to the prop when striking a hard object . Sounds like you've spun your hub and need a new one installed on your prop . Any Yamaha dealer or Prop shop can fix this problem .
TonyM

Post by TonyM »

Yup...classic symptoms of a spun hub.
zdbm2004

Post by zdbm2004 »

Johns propeller welding and tuning service in Vallejo on Benicia Rd. I've never done any business there but met people who have. Also check and see if the new prop you out on has vents and it they have or don't have plugs in the vent holes. Lots of boats this makes a huge difference.
zmyers
Kentuck

Post by Kentuck »

zdbm2004 wrote:Johns propeller welding and tuning service in Vallejo on Benicia Rd. I've never done any business there but met people who have. Also check and see if the new prop you out on has vents and it they have or don't have plugs in the vent holes. Lots of boats this makes a huge difference.
This is what I've been told I need to do. Two people have told me I am getting too much "air" through the prop.
hydro

Post by hydro »

Kentuck , Those vent holes in a prop are there to allow a higher pitched prop to cavitate (slip) to get you up on plane during a hole shot . After your boats on pad and underway those vent holes have a minimal effect due to the flow of water across the prop hub . With the symptoms you described it sure sounds like a spun hub to me but take it to a shop and see what they say .
TonyM

Post by TonyM »

Kentuck-You said its the same model prop and pitch you were running before. Assuming you plugged them the same (if they even have vent holes), it still sounds like a spun hub hub to me. Either way, should be an easy fix. Good luck.
Kentuck

Post by Kentuck »

Thanks all. I will have the prop checked. Seems odd to have a brand new prop with a spun hub but I guess you never know.