Alternatives to Clear Lake

9kfever

Alternatives to Clear Lake

Post by 9kfever »

First and foremost the people on the Clear Lake area are in my thoughts. Not a good situation they are going through!

I have been monitoring the weather for my trip on March 4-6 and it's looking doubtful. I'm all geared up with Hudds, lv500s, pointer 100s l, and swim jigs. What would be a good plan B? Berreyesa or Bullards?

Looking to show my trout fishing dad a good time on some bass. I will be in the Sacramento area for work the week before.

Thanks!
Tom Watts

Re: Alternatives to Clear Lake

Post by Tom Watts »

Sounds like you got the right idea! Either of those lakes is where I'd be heading. I'd probably lean towards Bullards Bar. The water can be decently clear there at times, I just hope the water doesn't look resemble chocolate milk from all the rain. I would assume the water temps are in the mid 50's at this point. Hopefully, they're starting to get a little active and you get on 'em! Good luck! :D
9kfever

Post by 9kfever »

Bullards Bar would be less likely to have a swimbait bite, right?

Thanks!
DanIsaac

Post by DanIsaac »

key phrase there is "good time"....as Clear Lake wont re-open for at least 3 weeks to a month at BEST,
I'd take Berry over Bullard's for sure. Not even close IMHO. Dan
ReelEx, your source for quality, professional service on your Shimano, Lews, or Revo reels.

Guaranteed 96 hr turnaround on service.
650-454-4938 http://www.reel-ex.com
DHutchison

Post by DHutchison »

Fortunately there are a few options if Clear Lake is not available. Bullards Bar is an option and you may luck across one one of the big spots, but its generally not known as having a lot of action or a generally "fun" place to fish. Many of the folks posting the 8plus lbs spots also comment that they had 2-3 bites all day.

Within a few hours of Sacramento you may consider Berryessa, the Delta at Frank's Tract or Ladd's, and then if willing to drive a couple hours look at Shasta or Pardee.

Glad to send you current conditions when closer to the trip
9kfever

Post by 9kfever »

Thanks everyone. I booked a a hotel near Berryessa but will keep Clear Lake hotel in case of miracle.

Breaking in the new boat that only saw one trout trip will be the bonus!
9kfever

Post by 9kfever »

Can anyone point me in direction of info to launch at Berryessa? Quagga Mussel inspections?
Stratos278

Post by Stratos278 »

9kfever wrote:Can anyone point me in direction of info to launch at Berryessa? Quagga Mussel inspections?
You can launch at the Capell Cove free launch on Berryessa-Knoxville Road, just a couple of miles off Hwy 128. Or you can pay to launch at Markley Cove or Pleasure Cove, both accessible from 128. Or you can go up Berryessa-K'ville Road past Capell and pay at either Spanish Flat ($18) or Putah Canyon ($23)
As far as a mussel inspection, it is a self-inspection. You have to fill out a form (available on BoR website?) and leave it on the dash of your tow vehicle. If you opt to launch at a pay ramp, they should have the forms. Hope this helps
Jim C.
"Rip Some Lips!!!!"
norcalracer

Post by norcalracer »

Capell Gates are closed the water is now to high they closed it no ramp left!