Lake Tulloch

Zebra13

Lake Tulloch

Post by Zebra13 »

Gents,

Due to the uncertainty surrounding Clear Lake this year, the wife and I have opted out of our annual spring bass vacation there. We had a house rented, but cancelled when they closed the lake. The owner emailed me a couple of days ago and said her formerly floating dock is now aground in her backyard. I think we made the right call...

Instead, we will be spending a week at Lake Tulloch, which I am wholly unfamiliar with (we live in San Luis Obispo county). For those that have fished it and know the lake, I am all ears to any advice, tips, and guidance you may have.

Additionally, I can see us making a day trip to New Melones, and as I don't know that lake either, any advice you might be able to offer would be appreciated.

Finally, you guys know of any good tackle stores in the area? I know what ever the fish are eating at either lake, I won't have it amongst the 40 metric ***-tons of tackle that I currently have in my boat. It always seems to work out that way...

A quick update on the lake levels in northern SLO county:

San Antonio - 49%
Nacimiento - 86%
Santa Margarita - 101.1% (!)

Last I heard, they were all poo-brown and full of debris, but we're actually going to be able to fish over here this year!

Thanks for the help,
Justin
Chad Sweitzer

Re: Lake Tulloch

Post by Chad Sweitzer »

The Staysee 90 has got me some good 3+ pound smallies on rocky points. Other than that, chartreuse and blue does well for bigger fish, but it's a challenge for sure! I've gone there and caught 30 fish on the d-shot without catching a keeper!
PB: Spot-9.625 (Shasta Record) LMB-13.27 SM-4.36
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

There are some GREAT Smallies in there !! Tubes, Blades, Hula Grubs. Largemouth, Jerks, Cranks, Blades, jigs, and SENKOS !! Drop shot too !
2007 "Numb Nut"

Ranger Boats-Mercury Motors
Minnkota Ultrex -TRP Batterys
Raymarine - Troll Bridge
Gloomis - Shimano
Pepper Jigs - Robo Worms
hydro

Post by hydro »

The state is holding back most of the water coming into Melones and not releasing it downstream into Tulloch . I assumed Tulloch would be it's usual clear condition but when I drove along the lake and over the bridge crossing the lake on O' Byrnes ferry road earlier this week the water all over the lake looked like chocolate milk . You didn't say when you're coming up but if Tulloch doesn't clear up by then Melones might be a better bet .
Whoopbass

Post by Whoopbass »

If you get there at the right time you might get into some good sight fishing. I can only remember sight fishing for smallies and a good bait to throw at the time was a 4" chartreuse ring tail worm. Find a bed drop it in and they would generally hit. I haven't been there this year but i'm sure the water is clear enough. It's a pretty lake and there is some biggun's in there just not in the quantity that they are in Clear Lake.
steve black

Post by steve black »

Pm sent