January 1, 2018 – Persons 20 years of age or younger
January 1, 2019 – Persons 25 years of age or younger
January 1, 2020 – Persons 35 years of age or younger
January 1, 2021 – Persons 40 years of age or younger
January 1, 2022 – Persons 45 years of age or younger
January 1, 2023 – Persons 50 years of age or younger
January 1, 2024 – Persons 60 years of age or younger
January 1, 2025 – All persons regardless of age

I'm all for it. It amazes me ever time I launch that some people own boats and shouldn't! Last time I launched some guy taking up the whole ramp asked me to undo the boat buckles because he didn't know how too...I see things like this all the time and I'm over it. Hopefully this will make launching smoother and make our waterways safer!
scott h

Re: 2018 New boating safety card

Post by scott h »

Welp looks like I'm good till 2023! At that point I will have had 37 years behind the wheel of a boat and I may need a class or two, I do not really see it helping though essentially it is the same as a drivers license and if you have ever commuted in the Bay Area it is a prime example of just because you have a license it does not make you a good driver/operator of a vehicle. When it comes to boats some people have no business behind the wheel, Maybe the newly generated revenue will go towards fixing levee's or dams........
BUZZBAITS IN FEBRUARY!@#$%^&*(
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

I took it last year. It's pretty extensive, and anyone operating a water craft should have to take it, and pass.
I think it should be required in order to get boat insurance. That would slow down the people who let their kids run wild, and keep idiots from buying seadoos with not clue.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Rod Martin

Post by Rod Martin »

Oh Snap.

Looks like I will have to take it in 2025.If I come back to Calif. Or maybe at 73 I'll get a driver and sit in the back :lol:
TR177 Ranger/ Mercury/Lowrance/ Ghost TM
Robb R

Post by Robb R »

Honestly , I think it's a good idea . How many times have you guys been on the water with totally clueless boaters , and in some case , they tend to be the drunk idiots .
I fish a local lake in san Jose a lot , Calero Reservoir , really small lake . Once I saw a 21 foot wake board being dredged up after the dad let his daughter drive it around , she hit a submerged island , ripping the bottom out and sinking it . Zero experience at all . That same year , some dad drives up in a brand new Master Craft , one of the really big ones where it's a 3 axle trailer . The dad asks the gate attendant if it's OK if his 15 year old son and 4 of his friends could wake board without him on the boat -- attendant says sure . These idiot kids were all over the lake , wake boarding in the 5MPH zone all day , finally , I decide to tell them they could do that ---didn't care at all , kept on doing it .
Less idiot boaters --- yes please
Rod Martin

Post by Rod Martin »

Robb R wrote:Honestly , I think it's a good idea . How many times have you guys been on the water with totally clueless boaters , and in some case , they tend to be the drunk idiots .
I fish a local lake in san Jose a lot , Calero Reservoir , really small lake . Once I saw a 21 foot wake board being dredged up after the dad let his daughter drive it around , she hit a submerged island , ripping the bottom out and sinking it . Zero experience at all . That same year , some dad drives up in a brand new Master Craft , one of the really big ones where it's a 3 axle trailer . The dad asks the gate attendant if it's OK if his 15 year old son and 4 of his friends could wake board without him on the boat -- attendant says sure . These idiot kids were all over the lake , wake boarding in the 5MPH zone all day , finally , I decide to tell them they could do that ---didn't care at all , kept on doing it .
Less idiot boaters --- yes please
I made fun of it BUT it is a good Idea. Either start it now for everybody or not at all and take restrictions off private people enforcing boating law. You get a picture or video of someone breaking the reg.s They get a ticket made out to the boat owner.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Rod Martin wrote:Oh Snap.

Looks like I will have to take it in 2025.If I come back to Calif. Or maybe at 73 I'll get a driver and sit in the back :lol:
I'll take you out, if I can still walk! :lol: :lol: :lol:
CLEAN AND DRY
basshol

Post by basshol »

It will hurt the fishing industry.FLW will lose put of state anglers and bassmasters won't bring the elite's
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

basshol wrote:It will hurt the fishing industry.FLW will lose put of state anglers and bassmasters won't bring the elite's
I'm pretty sure those organizations can get waivers of some kind for a professional event.
CLEAN AND DRY
Levy

Post by Levy »

basshol wrote:It will hurt the fishing industry.FLW will lose put of state anglers and bassmasters won't bring the elite's
Your kidding right? Bassmaster never comes anyway but I cant imagine how this will hurt the industry or prevent circuits from coming to Cali.
Stratos278

Post by Stratos278 »

mark poulson wrote:
I'm pretty sure those organizations can get waivers of some kind for a professional event.
From FAQ's, in part:

A: According to California law, the following persons will not be required to have a boater card to operate a motorized vessel on California waterways when the requirements go into effect beginning in January 2018:
•A person operating a rental vessel.
•A person operating a vessel while under the direct supervision of a person 18 years of age or older who is in possession of a California Boater Card.
A person who is a resident of a state other than California who is temporarily operating a vessel in California for less than 60 days and meets the boating requirements, if any, of his/her state.
Jim C.
"Rip Some Lips!!!!"
drew

Post by drew »

Unfortunately regulation does not make people smarter. Only more dependent and less wealthy. Just another way to generate revenue for the state. The average person can't do a cost benefit analysis because we don't know or can't comprehend the cost. It is irrational to just say it sounds good let's do it.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Drivers licenses, and the requirement to have insurance, have made the vast majority of motorists safer drivers.
It can't hurt to require people to know the laws and rules of safe boating.
My first new 1969 truck had a lap belt that I never wore. But when it became a law I learned to use it. And seat belts wound up saving one of my kids' lives. It's like wearing a life jacket.
There is a big difference between regulations just to generate money, and regulations to make us all safer.
The mindless kids who rip around in their parents boats and jet skies need to be taught. We shouldn't have to put our own safety, and the safety of our families, at risk just because they have irresponsible parents, who turn their backs while these kids party.
Parents need to be held accountable for their children's actions, and requiring a license is the first step.
CLEAN AND DRY
SObassman

Post by SObassman »

Oregon started a program like this about 15 years ago. When first started it was a open book type test that you did on paper and mailed in and was free of charge, this was before everything had to be done on the internet. Now takes about an hour to take test on computer, took a friend three times before he passed and costs about $20. I have had boat checked by law 4 times and only been asked for card one time. Not sure it has eliminated any of the idiots and hard to say how many people actually have them. Overall not a bad idea, surprised to here California is just starting this.
SObassman
Rod Martin

Post by Rod Martin »

If we are going to do this. Shouldn't they install speed limits just like the state has for highways. All lakes should be thought of as a 2 lane road 55mph Max. :shock:

As always, where do you draw the line between to much and not enough Gov.

Sure would drop cost of a boat. 20' boat would run very well with a 150hp on the back.
Chad Sweitzer

Post by Chad Sweitzer »

We're trading freedoms for supposed safety. One more way the state can regulate us and our money. I don't like it at all, I'd rather deal with people who don't know what they're doing. With the amount of alcohol involved in most boating activities, I dont think unfamiliar/new boaters are the cause of most accidents. Ban drinking and driving on the water, and actually enforce it.
PB: Spot-9.625 (Shasta Record) LMB-13.27 SM-4.36
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Chad Sweitzer wrote:We're trading freedoms for supposed safety. One more way the state can regulate us and our money. I don't like it at all, I'd rather deal with people who don't know what they're doing. With the amount of alcohol involved in most boating activities, I dont think unfamiliar/new boaters are the cause of most accidents. Ban drinking and driving on the water, and actually enforce it.
Drinking and operating a boat at the same time are already illegal.
I don't think people should have the "freedom" to put everyone else's safety at risk, just because they don't know how to properly operate their water craft, or the laws and rules regarding it's operation.
Adults understand taking personal responsibility for their actions. We do it every day in our professional and personal lives.
Requiring a boater safety card/license is a good first step.
Requiring that card in order to get any water craft insurance and in order to operate any water craft is the next step I hope the State takes.
Like they say in the driver's manual, driving is a privilege, not a right.
CLEAN AND DRY
Chad Sweitzer

Post by Chad Sweitzer »

I didn't know boating and drinking was illegal. I assumed it wasn't from what I've seen on the water. They just need to enforce that. I see boating as a right, and unless you do something to lose that right (drinking/unsafe boating), it should not be regulated. I see your point Mr. Poulson, and if the card was free, then I would feel a little better, but this opens more opportunities for government regulation and control.

By the way Mr. Poulson, you're bluegill spybait has been incredible to me this spring! It's holding up well too! I had a 5.7 and a 6.0 yesterday on it! Thanks again for a great bait!
PB: Spot-9.625 (Shasta Record) LMB-13.27 SM-4.36
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Chad Sweitzer wrote:I didn't know boating and drinking was illegal. I assumed it wasn't from what I've seen on the water. They just need to enforce that. I see boating as a right, and unless you do something to lose that right (drinking/unsafe boating), it should not be regulated. I see your point Mr. Poulson, and if the card was free, then I would feel a little better, but this opens more opportunities for government regulation and control.

By the way Mr. Poulson, you're bluegill spybait has been incredible to me this spring! It's holding up well too! I had a 5.7 and a 6.0 yesterday on it! Thanks again for a great bait!
Chad,
Our waterways are patrolled by the Coast Guard and are already regulated. Having to get a one time license is a small price to pay for a well regulated waterway.
We all cry about government regulation, until we need a cop, a fireman, or when there is a levee breach, and the Army Corp of Engineers steps up and plugs the breach. Then, all of a sudden, we love government.

I'm glad it's working for you. See you at Cooch's next event.
CLEAN AND DRY
drew

Post by drew »

Your viewing this in a very one sided way and soley based on emotion. Your not understanding what the other side is telling you. We don't need champagne & cavour regulations. We need a responsible government and responsiable citizens. People are suffering. Get a clue.

The utility will be low and the taxes will be great. Not only will with the taxes grow with time they will be forever.

mark poulson wrote:
Chad,
Our waterways are patrolled by the Coast Guard and are already regulated. Having to get a one time license is a small price to pay for a well regulated waterway.
We all cry about government regulation, until we need a cop, a fireman, or when there is a levee breach, and the Army Corp of Engineers steps up and plugs the breach. Then, all of a sudden, we love government.

mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

drew wrote:Your viewing this in a very one sided way and soley based on emotion. Your not understanding what the other side is telling you. We don't need champagne & cavour regulations. We need a responsible government and responsiable citizens. People are suffering. Get a clue.

The utility will be low and the taxes will be great. Not only will with the taxes grow with time they will be forever.

mark poulson wrote:
Chad,

Drew,
You and I disagree. I think the government should regulate for the safety of it's people. Teddy Roosevelt said, "The roll of government is to protect capitalists from themselves." The same can be said for why we have traffic laws, and why they are enforced. The cost of a driver's license helps pay for the police who enforce the traffic laws and help keep our roads safe. It should be the same for our waterways. We need a set of rules and laws that are enforced.
CLEAN AND DRY
drew

Post by drew »

We are way over regulated. We have become a non-thinking society and we are paying the price. I guess you can't argue with ignorance.
mark poulson wrote:
Drew,
You and I disagree. I think the government should regulate for the safety of it's people. Teddy Roosevelt said, "The roll of government is to protect capitalists from themselves." The same can be said for why we have traffic laws, and why they are enforced. The cost of a driver's license helps pay for the police who enforce the traffic laws and help keep our roads safe. It should be the same for our waterways. We need a set of rules and laws that are enforced.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Maybe you don't remember when we had the deregulation of the Savings and Loan industry in the 90s, and the disaster that allowed to happen. A lot of people lost their life savings. And look what deregulation of the Banking Industry allowed to happen in the housing crash and Great Recession. The Banks gutted our economy, and we paid them to do it with taxpayer dollars.
People will push the rules as far as they can. Having reasonable rules is a starting point, and are our only protection, as a society, from people who want to go too far.
drew wrote:We are way over regulated. We have become a non-thinking society and we are paying the price. I guess you can't argue with ignorance.
mark poulson wrote:
Drew,
CLEAN AND DRY
drew

Post by drew »

That is an absolute joke. The reason we had a recession is because people could not afford their mortgages. There was a global redistribution of wealth do to emerging third world countries. You are trying to sell people on more regulation? Seriously? You should lay off the the happy pills and a few disability checks and you might have different view on reality. BTW think about the forum your posting on. Think about the demographic. Done.

[/quote]
Drew,
You and I disagree. I think the government should regulate for the safety of it's people. Teddy Roosevelt said, "The roll of government is to protect capitalists from themselves." The same can be said for why we have traffic laws, and why they are enforced. The cost of a driver's license helps pay for the police who enforce the traffic laws and help keep our roads safe. It should be the same for our waterways. We need a set of rules and laws that are enforced.[/quote]
drew

Post by drew »

That is an absolute joke. The reason we had a depression was because there was a global redistribution of wealth do to emerging third world countries. You are trying to sell people on more regulation? Seriously? You should lay off the the happy pills and a few disability checks and you might have different view on reality. BTW think about the forum your posting on. Think about the demographic. I think were far off topic now so I'm done.
mark poulson wrote: Drew,
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

What part of this is wrong:
Maybe you don't remember when we had the deregulation of the Savings and Loan industry in the 90s, and the disaster that allowed to happen. A lot of people lost their life savings. And look what deregulation of the Banking Industry allowed to happen in the housing crash and Great Recession. The Banks gutted our economy, and we paid them to do it with taxpayer dollars.
People will push the rules as far as they can. Having reasonable rules is a starting point, and are our only protection, as a society, from people who want to go too far.

drew wrote:That is an absolute joke. The reason we had a depression was because there was a global redistribution of wealth do to emerging third world countries. You are trying to sell people on more regulation? Seriously? You should lay off the the happy pills and a few disability checks and you might have different view on reality. BTW think about the forum your posting on. Think about the demographic. I think were far off topic now so I'm done.
mark poulson wrote: Drew,
CLEAN AND DRY