YOUR Favorite Swimbait rod and why?

Colebass

YOUR Favorite Swimbait rod and why?

Post by Colebass »

What is your overall favorite swimsuit rod and why? Don't over analysis, what do you use the most? why is that. It's real simple, lets have a conversation that people can read, join and do what this board was meant to! Chat and share.

Dave
Dave Cole
Mike

Re: YOUR Favorite Swimbait rod and why?

Post by Mike »

That's like asking what is your favorite gold club. You need to be more descriptive.... What bait/size?
I spend the most time on a Dobyns 795 throwing 6" baits
OG on WB since 1993
Rod Martin

Post by Rod Martin »

Colebass wrote:What is your overall favorite swimsuit rod and why? Don't over analysis, what do you use the most? why is that. It's real simple, lets have a conversation that people can read, join and do what this board was meant to! Chat and share.

Dave
Well my name is Rod and my favorite is a full body swimsuit. I'm pretty heavy and if I don't go full body I attract harpoons. :lol:

Now if you are talking swimbait rods. I like Phenix Rods. When I throw swimbaits I use phenix rods. :D

I love spell check but hate it when it changes the word totally :shock:
TR177 Ranger/ Mercury/Lowrance/ Ghost TM
Tony Lain

Post by Tony Lain »

Different sized swim baits require different action rods (to do it right)... Like the post above ref golf clubs.That being said, I use 5-6 different rods for this technique - but all of the rods are the Daiwa DXSB (swim bait specific design). Check out the link and match your swim bait to the rod. My favorite is the Heavy action when I toss a Punker or a bigger wake bait like a Jackall Mikey SR. Price is right on this series too @ $110.00 bucks!! good luck.

http://www.daiwa.com/us/contents/rods/d ... index.html
RANGER Boats - MERCURY Marine
bassdaddy

Post by bassdaddy »

I've been throwing swim baits since 1999 so I have owned a bunch of rods. Some of them are custom sticks and I have bought and used several different production rods. As others have mentioned, this would be a much easier question if there was more information involved, but I can say this without hesitation...if I was going to start over, the first two swim bait sticks I would buy would be the Dobyns SB 795 and the Dobyns SB 806. I'd get them in the Championship versions, but now that they are offered in the Fury line, if $$ is an issue virtually anyone can break in at the Fury price point. The 795 will allow you to throw a vast array of small and medium sized swim baits and the 806 will accommodate larger baits including the 8 inch Huddleston. I'm pretty anal about exactly what reels, sticks and baits I use in combination, but I just don't think a guy could go wrong starting with those two rods with the appropriate reels...which is a completely different conversation.
THE DR

Post by THE DR »

1-4oz baits like small S-wavers and 6-8in Hudds I use a Phenix M1 MH SB 8' rod. Light weight and soft enough tip once it breaks in.

Larger baits in the 4-10oz size like Mags, Deps and mag topwater plugs I'll use a Phenix UMBX Classix SB H 8' rod or a M1 inshore 7'11" H.
Colebass

Post by Colebass »

I also like for smaller swimsuits and umbrella rigs the Dobyns SB794 Champion! Great rod!
Dave Cole
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

Dobyns is really strong in SB rods. We make powers from 4 to 9 and lengths from 7'9 to 9'. The two most popular are the 795 SB and the 806 SB. These two let you cover a ton of baits. The new 794 SB is perfect for smaller swimbaits and if you want to take the work out of a 10 XD crankbait, this rod is an excellent choice.

As long as your bait weight is under 32 ounces Dobyns can get you the right rod for whatever bait you want to throw.

With swimbaits it's all about the load on the cast and blank load with a big fish on the line. A great swimbait rod should load and cast a LONG ways, keep the bait in the strike zone as long as possible. So many companies build pool cues for SB rods and they suck for casting distance.