Delta Closure Update 3/21/17

WB Staff

Post by WB Staff »

03/21/2017 - Updated South & Central Delta River and Slough Closures
(Refer To Closure Map For Further Details)

As of this notice all Rivers and other South and Central Delta waterways highlighted on the attached
map(s) remain closed to recreational boating traffic (with some exceptions noted below) until further
notice by the San Joaquin County Office of Emergency Services.

Exceptions:
1) Orange Highlight on Map = Old River, north from Hammer Island at the Alameda County
boundary with San Joaquin County, all the way to the San Joaquin River Deep Water Channel on
Old River; and Grant Line Canal west of the bridge at Tracy Boulevard will be open to all boat
traffic with the following restrictions (Fabian and Bell Canal remain closed to pleasure boat
traffic - access to Tracy Oasis Marina is permitted from Grant Line Canal):
a. 5 MPH (No Wake) speed restriction for all boaters on the entire Old River section
described above, two hours before posted high tide, through two hours after posted
high tide.
b. No speed restriction for all boaters on the entire Old River section described above,
outside of the four-hour high tide window described in section “a” above.

2) Orange Highlight on Map = Starting north side of the Orwood Railroad Bridge at Old River,
heading east on Railroad Slough (south end of Bacon Island), North on Middle River past Bullfrog
Marina and Bacon Island swing bridge, East on Empire Cut (north end of Lower Jones Tract),
North on Whiskey Slough, under the McDonald River Bridge and past Tiki Lagoon Marina and
Turner Cut Resort all the way to the San Joaquin River will be open to all boat traffic with the
following restrictions:
a. 5 MPH (No Wake) speed restriction for all boaters on the yellow highlighted route
described above, two hours before posted high tide, through two hours after posted
high tide.
b. No speed restriction for all boaters on the entire yellow highlighted route described
above, outside of the four-hour high tide window described in section “a” above.

3) Mildred Island will be the designated recreational area for pleasure boaters in the south and
central delta area while waterway closures remain in effect. This area can be used by wakeboard
boaters, wave runners, jet skis, water-skiers and other personal water craft with the following
restrictions:
a. 5 MPH (No Wake) speed restriction for all boaters on the perimeter of Mildred Island,
one hour before posted high tide, through one hour after posted high tide.
b. No speed restriction for all boaters on the perimeter of Mildred Island, outside of the
two-hour high tide window described in section “a” above.

4) The pink highlighted on map is closed to pleasure boat traffic.

5) None of the closures or restrictions listed above or shown on the attached map apply to
emergency vessels, commercial vessels, or vessels operating to perform maintenance,
inspection and/or repair to Delta levees as approved by the San Joaquin County Office of
Emergency Services.

6) Please keep in mind that waves against the levees, particularly at high tides may cause erosion
to the levee which increases the threat to the levees.
Frequently Asked Questions
a. Why are so many rivers and sloughs closed?
i. The releases of water up river, combined with heavy rains have caused the
rivers and sloughs in the south Delta to reach extremely high levels on
surrounding levees. Wakes from boats at high tides, could pose a risk to levee
stability in some areas.
b. How long will the closures be in place?
i. The closures are dependent on water levels in the Delta systems which fluctuate
with rain events and possibly again in spring or early summer as the snow melts
in the surrounding mountains. Closures are lifted or modified by the San Joaquin
County, Office of Emergency Services.
c. What happens if I boat on a closed river or slough?
i. County Sheriff Marine Patrol divisions and the United Sates Coast Guard will be
enforcing the closures.
d. Where is recreational boating allowed while the closures are in effect?
i. During the appropriate times outlined in this directive, you can pleasure boat on
Old River, Mildred Island, San Joaquin River, or any River or Slough not closed by
the San Joaquin County Office of Emergency Services (see attached highlighted
map).
e. Will bridge operators open bridges on closed rivers and sloughs?
i. Only for emergency boat traffic while the closures are in place (Orwood Railroad
Bridge, Bacon Island Bridge, and MacDonald River Bridge will open per their
normal schedules and all other bridges not in a closed area).
f. How do I find out about bridge schedules and when high tide is on any given day?
i. You can find bridge and tide information at, DeltaBoating.com
ii. http://deltaboating.com/tides/orwood.php
g. Who do I contact if I have questions regarding this directive?
i. San Joaquin County Office of Emergency Services, (209) 953-6200
WB Staff

Re: Delta Closure Update 3/21/17

Post by WB Staff »

Click to enlarge
Attachments
map 1 321.png
map 2 321.png
map 3 321.png