Reels

Champkid

Reels

Post by Champkid »

Looking to buy a couple more reels and was just wondering what some of you guys would recommend. Not very brand specific. Thanks
Champion 203 Elite
225 Mercury
nivanov30

Re: Reels

Post by nivanov30 »

Price range, left/right hand, application (gear ratio)?
DDG

Post by DDG »

Lews super duty i think is hands down the best reel for price and quality, they weigh about 7oz bout as much as older curados but built to last SERIOUSLY
Champkid

Post by Champkid »

nivanov30 wrote:Price range, left/right hand, application (gear ratio)?
I don't think I could go over $200 and would preferably like to be quite a bit under that price. I use right hand reels and like faster gear ratios like 7:1s or faster. Thanks for the response
Champion 203 Elite
225 Mercury
Champkid

Post by Champkid »

DDG wrote:Lews super duty i think is hands down the best reel for price and quality, they weigh about 7oz bout as much as older curados but built to last SERIOUSLY
I'll check those out. Thanks
Champion 203 Elite
225 Mercury
nivanov30

Post by nivanov30 »

Lews Super Duty is a great option for swimbaits and such. It's heavy (8oz) though. Left hands are limited to 7.1 gear ration only.
nivanov30

Post by nivanov30 »

Shimano Curado 70, Daiwa Tatula CT, 13 Fishing Concept A would be my choices in that price range (quality, serviceability, selection of gear ratios). For extra $25 you can upgrade to ABEC9 ceramic bearings and that would be a pretty much new reel all together.
DanIsaac

Post by DanIsaac »

Citica200i.At $149 hands down a "best value" and is a virtual twin to Curado 200i...I see all kinds of reels inside out ALL day long! Shimano is still the industry leader when it comes to innovation and support.....Dan
ReelEx, your source for quality, professional service on your Shimano, Lews, or Revo reels.

Guaranteed 96 hr turnaround on service.
650-454-4938 http://www.reel-ex.com
DDG

Post by DDG »

nivanov30 wrote:Lews Super Duty is a great option for swimbaits and such. It's heavy (8oz) though. Left hands are limited to 7.1 gear ration only.
I use Super duties for everything it works great for 1/4 oz baits. yes i do use tournament MB for squarebills and other lighter line applications, however the Super Duty is seriously built to last, I have broken parts on shimano's and thats why i started using lews. The super duty does excel with braided line however I personally use them for almost everything and they weigh 7.8 oz thats as much as an older curado
monte300

Post by monte300 »

I bought a couple of these six months ago and absolutely love them. Not sure how they will be over the long haul

http://sixgillfishing.com/casting-reels/
yjjustforme

Post by yjjustforme »

DanIsaac wrote:Citica200i.At $149 hands down a "best value" and is a virtual twin to Curado 200i...I see all kinds of reels inside out ALL day long! Shimano is still the industry leader when it comes to innovation and support.....Dan
Do yourself a favor and run to tw cause they have the curado i's at this same price point on sale. Dan is right, shimano will last you what seems like forever
Rattle

Post by Rattle »

Spinning reels Shimano Stradics.
Baitcasters Shimano Curados. You would not be disappointed!!!
basshol

Post by basshol »

Chronarch been running some of them for 15 years shumano for sure
basshol

Post by basshol »

Chronarch been running some of them for 15 years shumano for sure
Freefall

Post by Freefall »

I've never owned a shimano so I cant speak to them but my Lews on my punching rods are bullet proof.

All around duty I use Quantum Smokes and love them.
Fear does not prevent death, it prevents life.

You've never lived until you've almost died and for those who have fought for it, life has a whole new flavor that the protected will never know....
Rob

Post by Rob »

Curado 70 is a great reel. one of their best since the E series and I'd take the 70 over that series (the 200 is nice but noisier unless you're willing to oil the barrel regularly)
TonyM

Post by TonyM »

From a former Shimano guy, you also need to check out the Daiwa Tatula series. I'm not sponsored by them and could care less what you buy. But that TWS system really does give increased casting distance. Magforce adjustments are quick, simple and effective. Come in a wide range of speeds. The drags havent faded on me like my Shimanos used to. Have about 15 standards and Type Rs. No problems with any. I have no experience with the CT series, but at $149, I dont think you can beat the standard Tatula.
Tony Lain

Post by Tony Lain »

TonyM nailed it!! The Tatatula CT and new SV are very nice as well.

http://www.daiwa.com/us/contents/reels/ ... index.html
RANGER Boats - MERCURY Marine
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

I am with TonyM on this one - if you look at my reels they are 99.9% Shimano (one abu garcia round bait caster) I recently purchased that Tatula R and holy smokes this thing just sends it with little effort and brakes are at 5 on a Shimano I run one brake. In my opinion the Tatula is a great reel. But if you find a deal on a curado line - well they are still a great value reel.
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/
monte300

Post by monte300 »

Has anyone besides me tried the Six Gill baitcasters? I love these reels but they are only six months old. They cast a mile.

I've owned many Shimano's in the past from Bantams to the Curados, and you can never go wrong with that brand.