Best summer month for clear lake?...

Freefall

Best summer month for clear lake?...

Post by Freefall »

I am planning a trip to clear lake this summer for my "bachelor party." No partying involved, but I would like to time it with a good top water bite.

Which month would you historically say would be best for frogging/topwater? June, July or August?

I appreciate the help.
Fear does not prevent death, it prevents life.

You've never lived until you've almost died and for those who have fought for it, life has a whole new flavor that the protected will never know....
clearlakeoutdoors

Re: Best summer month for clear lake?...

Post by clearlakeoutdoors »

The last couple years topwater bite has been better May thru June
birdman920

Post by birdman920 »

the open water frog bite is best in May/June !... the weed mat bite is best in July/August ! the spook/Whopper Plopper bite can be good April thru Aug also " buzzbait & Punker bite can be great too !....
Freefall

Post by Freefall »

Thanks for the help!
Fear does not prevent death, it prevents life.

You've never lived until you've almost died and for those who have fought for it, life has a whole new flavor that the protected will never know....
Larry Hemphill

May and June

Post by Larry Hemphill »

I agree that May and June can be good on most lakes - including Clear Lake. Water temps aren't at summer highs and the low oxygen levels are a problem in July and August. That is for a "normal" summer pattern. Problem is - weather in California is not "normal" lately! Large post-spawn females usually hang around shallow water cover to feed, especially very early morning and at night. Around the 4th of July, summer heat and shallow water boat traffic will send most quality bass off to their summer, deeper homes.
scott h

Post by scott h »

I know it is not exactly on topic but sometimes a topwater trip doesn't pan out, the summer time jig bite off shore can be amazing.I am planning a summer trip with my kid for august.
BUZZBAITS IN FEBRUARY!@#$%^&*(
birdman920

Post by birdman920 »

Oh " there is a few big ones shallow " in the summer ! waiting to smoke your frog !......
Attachments
IMG_0744.JPG
clearlakeoutdoors

Post by clearlakeoutdoors »

Normally late summer frog fishing offshore mats can be good. The last couple years the lake got oversprayed and we didnt have much weed mats to fish.