Heads up: They're blue stoning Castaic

Bass Pro Shopper

Heads up: They're blue stoning Castaic

Post by Bass Pro Shopper »

On April 5th. Bite will be off for a while after that (just as it was coming on). Just an FYI.
Fishing is not a matter of life or death.
It's more serious than that!
nate50

Re: Heads up: They're blue stoning Castaic

Post by nate50 »

What is "blue stoning"
ILW

Post by ILW »

I was wondering the same thing?
HunterofBass

Post by HunterofBass »

Bluestone is a copper sulphate powder that kills algae growth. Used in rice farming quite alot.
callwakeup

Post by callwakeup »

Bluestone impacts to the current spawn?

Does the additive do anything negative to the spawn - like decrease sun penetration to the deeper beds?
HunterofBass

Post by HunterofBass »

it kills algae so it should actually clear up the water for better light penetration for the deeper beds. I do not know the harm to fish possibility. I know it doesn't kill crawdads or anything like that as its readily used in rice farming to inhibit algae growth to allow more light penetration and I've never seen it kill them or the tiny mosquito fish in the ditches.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copper(II)_sulfate
Ifishalot

Post by Ifishalot »

We quit using copper sulfate because it leave a copper residue on the bottom of the lake over time. Pak -27 is a much safer option and it introduces oxygen to the water as you apply it and only works in the top 3 feet. Where the algae grows! It's good stuff but not cheap.
micropterus

Post by micropterus »

"I Got Stoned!!" ... Went up to fish Castaic on you guessed it, April 5th. Gate locked. Dragged the boat up the Grapevine to Pyramid. Quiet day, no fish activity. Boats wandering around the lake. Not good. Started picking up stripers on top water rip baits at 3:00 pm. Ended up with 8 or 10 with a couple of 3 lbers. Lots of fun. Those stripers will come back two or more times to hit a top water. What sucks about Pyramid is you get kicked off the lake before 5:00 pm. Not to mention that goofy quagga inspection.
Have some fun out there .... Enjoy that time on the water !!