Casitas bass

WRB

Casitas bass

Post by WRB »

I have been fishing lake Casitas over 60 years and never seen bass in such poor physical condition as this year. When the trout plants stopped the trophy size giants bass population crashed, that was over 5 years ago. The 2017 LMB population is getting skinny, the average 20" to 22" bass weighs under 4 lbs, under 3 lbs for post spawners, big heads no body mass, these bass should be 5 to 7 lbs!
The prey mass situation for these bass must be low, anyone else experiencing this?
Tom
Marc

Re: Casitas bass

Post by Marc »

Tom,
Casitas bass just came off the spawn which is one reason they are so skinny now. The shad have also not yet moved shallow where most of the bass still are. Give it a few weeks and it will likely get better.
www.RangerBoats.com
www.Evinrude.com
www.QuickDropsWeights.com
www.Yamamoto.Baits.com
www.Lamiglas.com
www.Gamakatsu.com
www.LuckyCraft.com
www.Lowrance.com
www.TransducerShieldandSaver.com
WRB

Post by WRB »

Marc, fully aware of the post spawn bass condition, concerned with the changes from 2016 to 2017. There are a few 8 to 9 lb bass that should be 11 to 12 lbs IMO in the mix . 2016 the Threadfin Shad schools were impressive, hope they servived and the shoreline cover will provide good cover. Post spawners don't lose over 25% of body mass, maybe 10%, they weren't looking too good during pre spawn. Could be wrong, hope I am! Thanks for the response.
Tom
Marc

Post by Marc »

I am pretty concerned as well, Tom; the bait is just not there and what shad has appeared so far is tiny. I had hoped the bait was stacked up in deep water, and had yet to move shallow but that seems less likely now that a thermocline is at 20 feet and shad are not above it.

We need some baitfish to make a comeback so the bass will follow.
www.RangerBoats.com
www.Evinrude.com
www.Yamamoto.Baits.com
www.Lamiglas.com
www.Gamakatsu.com
www.LuckyCraft.com
www.Lowrance.com
WRB

Post by WRB »

Marc, thank you for the update. Unfortunately I haven't been able to get out on the water for a few months and can't reply to current cobpditions.
My PB LMB prior to Florida LMB was a northern strain 12.4 lbs at Casitas in '71 caught on a jig.
10 years and 1 month later I caught 18.6 lb FLMB at Casitas using the same type of jig from the exact same point. Both bass were the same length 28" long, the weight difference being in the girth. Bass weight is a combination of length and girth to increase or decrease body mass.
I fully realize that planted rainbow trout provide high protein meals, however juevnile and young adult LMB are not eating trout during the years they are gaining body mass. Big adult bass target trout.
The problem with Casitas is in the biomass for the younger adult size bass IMO, a situation not being addressed by anyone. The lakes population of 6 to 7 lb bass is good, however they should be 8 to 10 lbs if you consider their length.
Tom
Marc

Post by Marc »

Tom, that is a great story. I am guessing it will be years before you can catch another Mama Pesce from that same spot due to the water levels we face now.

Although I have no data to confirm my suspicions, I suspect the drought is significantly affecting the entire food chain. The lack of water runoff into the lake deprives the water of nutrients; the basic building block of the food chain. The falling water level also affects the vegetation growth such as the cabbage distribution.

One thing I have learned over my years of both fishing and being a fisheries biologist is that lakes are always changing, and they go through cycles of good and bad. I don't worry as much as I used to about bad cycles because invariably they are followed by great cycles when conditions change; and they likely will.

Once water levels rise again in Casitas the water will be full of nutrients, and the plankton and baitfish will quickly take off. Vegetation will sprout in the newly flooded flats and will improve the water quality, as well as provide a nursery for the baitfish and juvenile bass. Casitas will be a new lake again and the good old days will likely return.

The key will be for us fishermen to recognize the lake is changing and adjust our tactics accordingly. And for us who are old enough to have learned some time-honored tricks like using certain jigs at certain key spots, we will impress our friends with how well we have adapted to the "new" Casitas.

Hope to see you on the lake!

ciao,
Marc
www.RangerBoats.com
www.Evinrude.com
www.Yamamoto.Baits.com
www.Lamiglas.com
www.Gamakatsu.com
www.LuckyCraft.com
www.Lowrance.com
WRB

Post by WRB »

Marc, unfortunitly the folks running Casitas and the locals who continue to prevent Ventura river run off to be deverted into the lake, the situation looks dire as returning to it's glory years.
The Florida strain bass hasn't had any new pure strain bass planted in decades, that shouldn't be a major issue. Agree that the entire ecosystem is stressed and in need of rejuvenating nutrient rich water flow and bringing crawdads etc into the lake.
Casitas is still a good bass fishery and the reduced boat traffic is a blessing.
Tom