Fulton Winch Strap Issues?

BassNCop

Fulton Winch Strap Issues?

Post by BassNCop »

I have a 2012 Ranger trailer with the Fulton XLT winch. I just broke my 2nd strap. All my previous boats, I never broke a winch strap. Is there an use with these particular straps? Is there something I can do to avoid this, like backing off the tension once the boat is out of the water? Maybe some sort of treatment on the strap? Oh and these straps aren't all that easy to find either!

Thanks in advance.
bircher

Re: Fulton Winch Strap Issues?

Post by bircher »

They ware out. I just replace mine every 2-3 years because it's cheap insurance.
Mike Birch
Rod Martin

Post by Rod Martin »

I wasn't aware you had to buy special straps for Fulton winches. Buy a stronger, better strap and install it. :shock:
TR177 Ranger/ Mercury/Lowrance/ Ghost TM
BassNCop

Post by BassNCop »

Rod,
Sounds easy enough. Try and find these straps are very difficult. They have a safety strap and hook attached. The only place I found that carries them is directly through Ranger. I ordered one today.
drew

Post by drew »

I replace mine every 2yrs. The sun and elements can be hard on them. I have never had a hard time finding them. I have been using the the std. 2" black ones but next time I might try the HD unit.

https://www.pacifictrailers.com/collections/winches
BassNCop wrote:I have a 2012 Ranger trailer with the Fulton XLT winch. I just broke my 2nd strap. All my previous boats, I never broke a winch strap. Is there an use with these particular straps? Is there something I can do to avoid this, like backing off the tension once the boat is out of the water? Maybe some sort of treatment on the strap? Oh and these straps aren't all that easy to find either!

Thanks in advance.
Rod Martin

Post by Rod Martin »

BassNCop wrote:Rod,
Sounds easy enough. Try and find these straps are very difficult. They have a safety strap and hook attached. The only place I found that carries them is directly through Ranger. I ordered one today.
I use a standard strap, then have a safety chain just below the winch. If the strap gets old the safety part is old too, my chain is still good.

glad you found what you wanted
TR177 Ranger/ Mercury/Lowrance/ Ghost TM
fishwithron

Post by fishwithron »

Save the old hook and buy a new strap and have a shoe repair shop stich the hook onto it.
kopper_bass

Post by kopper_bass »

2 things:
1. Look and see if your strap is winding on straight, or a bit off-crnter. My winch is a bit crooked and the edge gets frayed after 2-3years. Eventually it breaks there.

2. Try using Google and look for "winch strap". Google is your friend. You can buy them everywhere, including Wallmart, Cabelas, or practically any trailer store. You shouldn't have to go to ranger boats.

Kopper_bass
Nobody remembers who came in 2nd place. Fish Hard - Play Hard!
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

fishwithron wrote:Save the old hook and buy a new strap and have a shoe repair shop stich the hook onto it.
I found that only the first 3'+- rots from the sun and water, so you can take your old strap to the shoe repair place and have them sew the hook onto the other end. Since the strap is 20' long, there's plenty of good strap left. Just cut off the bad section, and rewind it onto your winch.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
micropterus

Post by micropterus »

As I write this reply I await delivery of my new heavy duty winch strap from eTrailer.com 2" x 15 ft. Good idea on the shoe repair shop. Been wondering what to do with the broken straps. :wink:
Have some fun out there .... Enjoy that time on the water !!
fishwithron

Post by fishwithron »

The shoe shop does a good job stiching as he has the heavy thread to do the job rite.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

I stopped at Aldo's Shoe Repair yesterday, and he will sew the hook back in, plus redo my safety strap, a total of three hooks to be sewn, for $30.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
drew

Post by drew »

The new Fulton straps from Pacific Trailer are only $12.99.