Best cranking reel out there?

66BKB66

Best cranking reel out there?

Post by 66BKB66 »

Looking for a new cranking reel. Looking for suggestions. Make and gear ratio
Chad Sweitzer

Re: Best cranking reel out there?

Post by Chad Sweitzer »

Revo Winch Gen 2, I don't have a new one (Gen 3), but don't here the same great things about the new ones. My gen 2 has been a crankin, punchin, big swimbait, and everything in between reel for me, and its been 5 years. I love it.
PB: Spot-9.625 (Shasta Record) LMB-13.27 SM-4.36
Zealandhunter

Post by Zealandhunter »

Calcutta 200D works great for me
Tony Lain

Post by Tony Lain »

Really depends on what type of cranks (bigger/deeper driving the crank, lower the gear ratio). For all around cranks like square bills, shallow drivers to med drivers, check out the Daiwa Tatula and Zillion reels. The new Tatula SV TW casts small light weight lures like no other reel I have owned. Check out the link:

http://www.daiwa.com/us/contents/reels/ ... index.html
RANGER Boats - MERCURY Marine
DDG

Post by DDG »

Lews super duty. sd1 sd1sh
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

Tony Lain wrote:Really depends on what type of cranks (bigger/deeper driving the crank, lower the gear ratio). For all around cranks like square bills, shallow drivers to med drivers, check out the Daiwa Tatula and Zillion reels. The new Tatula SV TW casts small light weight lures like no other reel I have owned. Check out the link:

http://www.daiwa.com/us/contents/reels/ ... index.html
I bought a Tatula SV specifically for throwing small squarebills and lighter cranks - this thing rocks for light baits.
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/
ttb31183

Post by ttb31183 »

The Revo Winch is great and I use it alot, but I find myself using a Curado I just as much. I like the faster retrieve and it casts better in my opinion.
Tyler Brinks
Winxp_man

Post by Winxp_man »

Zealandhunter wrote:Calcutta 200D works great for me

+1

I have a 201D though.
NRX

Post by NRX »

Shimano Calais APV
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

I do a fair bit of cranking, mostly square bills and med. divers.
I like a reel with bearings in the handles. It makes cranking all day much less tiring.
And I like a 6.5:1+- gear ratio, so I can speed up or slow down if I want to.
For me, an externally adjustable braking system is a plus, so I can adjust to the wind easily, even though I seldom adjust them anymore.
Low profile/palmable, because I have medium sized hands.
Light, like 6.5+- oz, so I don't get worn out throwing it all day, and at least nine ball bearings, so it will last.
And a 100 size, so there is enough capacity to hold enough line to retie a bunch before I have to respool (12/120yds+-).
I use the same reel and mono for topwaters and sometimes jerk baits.
Being able to use the same setup for multiple things simplifies my day.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
WRB

Post by WRB »

The smaller size 100 and 200 baitcasters only hold 110 to 120 yards of 10-12 lb line, when you cast 40-50 yards the spooled line diameter is reduced dramatically and that reduces the Inch Per Turn line recovered by up to 50%. You must crank 2X to maintain lure speed and wears you out.
Larger size spools that hold 180+ yards of the maintain the IPT at long casts, you have less stress retrieving deep divers with lower gear ratios while maintaining decent IPT rates. I suggest 300 size reels with 5.8:1 ratio like Calcutta or Cardiff 300/301 or similar reels for crank baits 3/4 to 1+ oz size.
Tom
Winxp_man

Post by Winxp_man »

WRB wrote:The smaller size 100 and 200 baitcasters only hold 110 to 120 yards of 10-12 lb line, when you cast 40-50 yards the spooled line diameter is reduced dramatically and that reduces the Inch Per Turn line recovered by up to 50%. You must crank 2X to maintain lure speed and wears you out.
Larger size spools that hold 180+ yards of the maintain the IPT at long casts, you have less stress retrieving deep divers with lower gear ratios while maintaining decent IPT rates. I suggest 300 size reels with 5.8:1 ratio like Calcutta or Cardiff 300/301 or similar reels for crank baits 3/4 to 1+ oz size.
Tom

Hard to find but the Curado Bantam 201B5(200B5) I think can jump into this category. Been using one along with the Calcutta 201D.